OLTL: Debating Ron Carlivati & The Show

• Members

Right now he is doing a fine job! I havn't enjoyed OLTL in SOOOOOOO long until now! :D I love the Marci/Todd/Tommy storyline! I also think that incorporting Lindsey in it is a fine job! I think when he reveled that Lidnsey was the killer I found it surprising!

RuAsRuAnAu, Why is it that you always say negative things about the ABC soaps?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find the show delightfully watchable, not perfect, a little run-on, a little riveting, a little melodramatic, a lot soapy, and much more down to earth than it's been in years. In 15 episodes - that's only three weeks - nothing can get done besides wrapping up stories. You can't just put all the bad stories in Llanfair and blow it up, it'd be contrived and the audience would feel cheated. Expanding the Spencer murder mystery into the Tommy saga was a smart move, and slowly developing new stories and cleaning up and improving stories already in progress is a good first move by Carlivati. I swear, it's as if some viewers were expecting the acting, direction and production to change with the new head writer. You aren't going to get a Billy Douglas story. You aren't going to get a gang rape story. The last social issue story (the OPP mystery) proved that nobody on the show knew how to handle a realistic story. Just watch the show, take it for what it is, enjoy it and try to not to think too much. Veronica Mars this ain't.

• Members

Carlivati has been trying to "fix" the show since he became co-HW in early May 2007? When he came on, the show actually got worse. May was beyond terrible; the worst month in OLTL's history in terms of quality.

As did Malone & Griffith is 2003/2004.

I know that no TV series be can fixed overnight. My comment about OLTL & Carlivati's involvement stems from the fact that he has been writing the show for more than FOUR months now. That's enough time to show more than a modicum of improvement. He needs, so he should ask for it. Cascio's the person whip the show into shape.

What about Renee? What about the minimal mentions of Asa (1979-2007)? What about Hank? The other Buchanans? Carlotta?

Who do you want to be in charge of OLTL? Any story ideas?

Any show that produces this much episodes per year if definately a team effort. Carlivati needs to surround himself with intelligent, talented, and passionate writers like Cascio and Culliton. Those who do not fit the mold need to be tossed to the side. It is basically the lead, follow, or get out of the way mantra.

pinevalleylanview Posted Today, 05:00 PM Sarah never would have done what the writers scripted her to do in this kidnapping ordeal.

You're right. She would have been much more active in trying to help her uncle Todd in his hour of need. Being that weak against Hunter? Come on. Remember: Carlivati co-wrote that story so he IS partly to blame.

MichaelGL Posted Today, 06:29 PM OLTL is one of the few soaps these days that I can sit through and watch an entire episode these days. It's doing just fine

Which ones do you watch entirely on a regular basis? GL...

YRBB Posted Today, 06:06 PM ...You REALLY can't judge a new HW in two weeks, though, it really takes some time.

He's been in the top and 2nd top spot for almost FIVE months now. That's nearly 100 OLTL episodes.

• Members

First off, NONE of the material that aired over the summer was Carlivati's idea. He couldn't just suddenly stop everything Dena had going. Then he'd be accused of dropping storylines. <_<

Ron said many times in the magazines that his original stories would be airing this fall. All he did this summer was patch Higley's work and try to make it watchable. If you think the show has gotten worse since he's taken over, then I don't know how you judge quality.

Secondly, I know Malone & Griffith wrote horrible stories, but they didn't destroy the show like Higley did. She owns that honor on her own.

As far as your "FOUR months" statement, it isn't HIS material. All he could do was try to wrap up Higley's stories and lay the foundation for his upcoming stories. Ron is doing a good job thus far, and I wouldn't change anything about his writing.

Your response to my comment about the vets makes no sense. Hank hasn't been on the show in a long time. The other Buchanans paid a visit for Asa's funeral. If you're saying that Ron hasn't made an effort to bring back these characters to the show, well you don't know that. The fact that he's trying to bring back old faces, when all Higley did was bring in freakin newbies and shove them down our throats shows he's trying something different. The fact that he managed to get fan faves to return for a few eps shows that he wanted to do a good job. He could have just had people already on the show mourn for Asa (ala GH did when Alan died).

I'm quite happy with who's in charge right now. The only person I want gone is Valentini. His time is up.

Your anti-Ron/pro-Cascio agenda is showing quite brightly if you ask me. I don't see why you're so critical of a man who's barely had time to put his stamp on the show. If 6 months from now OLTL is in the crapper, then fine, the man could be subject to criticism, but jizus morgan, give the guy a chance to either soar or crash and burn.

Archived