The Should-Be Pre-Nominations: 2008 Daytime Emmy Award

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DeeeDee, are these your "Who should be" or "Who will be"? The reason I ask is because B&B does not deserve a writing nod. If OLTL should be nominated, then GH should be there as well. The majority of this year was written by Higley, and Guza Jr. is a far better writer than she is.

Jeanne Cooper is not a lead actress; she, along with Jess Walton, are supporting. As a for Walton, she has a great shot of winning Supporting Actress next year.

So far, Doug Davidson does not have enough to earn a nod- the Supporting categories wil be the most competitive.

What has McClure done this year that was noteworthy?

AMC over Y&R in directing? I do not think so. You think Ackles, McDonald, Xavier, Lee, Denney, LaMont, Strickler are worse than AMC's directing team? I think Y&R has one of TV's best directing team.

• Members

Both.

Outside of the writing for Brooke (poor KKL), B&B has rocked this year.

Nah, OLTL has improved a great deal while GH has continued to suck.

Jess & Jeanne are both Lead. Always have been, always will be.

Even with crap writing and/or ill advised backburnering, they ALWAYS shine.

Plus, Jeanne has plenty of reasons to submit herself as Lead this year.

She's Y&R's crown jewel, she's always wanted to win a competitive Emmy, it will be her show's 35th anniversary & she has the scenes to submit a good reel.

Jess is a Lead Actress but should submit herself as Supporting this year for a better chance to win.

Oh yes, he does. His work during the Pheila debacle was more than enough to earn him a nod.

Not much. However, he's still eligible & is a previous winner.

Definitely.

Mhm.

They USED to. Not anymore.

• Members

KKL recently expressed dissatisfaction with the writing for Brooke Logan. The question is: Will Bradley Bell do something about it?

So, for Writing, OLTL should only send in Carlivati penned episodes? That is only 3 and a half months of content. It limits their chance at scoring a nod & win.

Walton was not leading story in 2006. So far this year, Walton does not have enough to qualify as a Lead Actress. Like it or not, Walton has been a supporting player. Will that change in the coming weeks? Hopefully it does. If it does not, she has great chances at winning Supporting Actress.

Aside from that, what has Davidson done? The competition is too much for "lightweights".

• Members

Brad needs to decide what he firmly wants to do with Brooke & do it, other than that he's not too bad a writer.

3 & 1/2 months of good is better than 8 & 1/2 bad.

Walton is unequivocably a Lead Actress.

Unfortunately, this year she doesn't have strong enough material (from a writing standpoint, not acting) to submit as Lead, hence the better decision to go Supporting instead.

Davidson is far from "lightweight" & as stupid as the entire Phelia debacle was, Davidson kicked ass.

• Members

What it needs is 3 & 1/2 great , not "good", months.

I was not knocking Davidson's acting; he's a very good thespian. It is unfortunate that he has not been given a really juicy story for him to sink his teeth into. The "Phyllis looks like Sheila" story was certainly not enough. Hopefully, with the arrival of the daughter he abandoned, Davidson will be off the backburner & b able to display his acting chops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Jeanne Cooper could go either way (although she is Supporting), and if she chooses Lead, then I fear Melody Thomas Scott will be snubbed yet again. As for the Queen of Y&R, she will be pre-nominated for Lead Actress.

Cooper (Long-lost granson, Feud with Jill, Clear Springs, Out of The Ashes)

As for Y&R's Out of The Ashes, they should submit it for Cooper, MTS, Bregman, Directing (McDonald, Lee or Strickler), and Drama Series.

• Members

As far as the two shows I regularly watch here are my picks:

B&B

Best Show (because it is!)

Best Writing Team (Oh how I would LOVE for Kay Alden to win...the thought of it is just too delicious "And I wouldn't like to thank Lynn Latham because...")

Best Directing Team: visually a lot happens on B&B and it always works.

Lead Actress: Katherine Kelly Lang and Susan Flannery. The no brainer options. All KKL needs is a few good tapes, which she has. The problem is that she's had good tapes for years...and not a single nod.

Supporting Actress: All the contenders are pretty weak but I bet Lesley Anne Down, Eileen Davidson and Hunter Tylo could dig up a few good tapes. I like LAD a lot but I feel she's been wasted, HT gets better material and has stepped up her game a bit in recent years. Davidson is an interesting one as she's the new kid on the block, but she's a dynamite actress and has been nominated a few times before for her work on DAYS and Y&R.

Actor: Nobody.

Supporting Actor: Winsor Harmon has to have a decent reel lying around somewhere. He remains an untapped resource on this show.

Y&R

Lead Actress: This is a tough call because Melody Thomas Scott has the tapes to get nominated...but not to win. Jeanne Cooper has had an uneven year but she has had some outstanding episodes and I think she should and will submit herself as lead. Jess Walton is also a lead actress contender...but I think if she's going for a win she has to go supporting.

Supporting Actress: I think Sharon Case has a good shot. I'm tempted to put her in lead but I know that if she put herself there she'd lose. Jess Walton, like I said, could also go supporting even though in reality she's a lead actress.

Lead Actor: The ol' faithfuls: Peter Bergman and Eric Braeden. PB has had a great year (he's been on so much how couldn't he have?) whereas EB has had a very uneven year. Both have the tapes, both have won before. I just don't see Christian LeBlanc getting nominated, he's been on a lot but hasn't done a hell of a lot, plus I think the rest of the cast is probably sick of him winning ;)

Supporting Actor: Nobody really comes to mind. I feel that LML gave Kristoff St John the shaft when it came to playing out Dru's death and Neil's slip off the wagon. Had he been given a storyline he would have easily been nominated...now...it's a longshot.

I don't think the show deserves a Best Show nod (but it will get one) because Y&R has become a farce. The directing is terrible so I don't think it deserves a nod. The writing has also been a total and complete disaster, hands down the writing is the nod I don't want Y&R to get the most. I am desperate for LML to not get her precious writing nod because it would drive her nuts and because I am desperate for Kay Alden to win!

• Members

I think Rebecca Herbst should submit herself for Lead Actress. She has many episodes to choose from in February, May to November for the hostage crisis, reunion and subsequent re-marriage, Jake's kidnapping, friendship with Emily, divorce from Lucky, feud with Sam, and the Baccanalia Ball (sp?). This could help her for the 2009 Daytime Emmys pre-nomination process, and besides, she deserves it. Herbst truly has grown as an actress, and it shows every day. Wouldn't it great to see Herbst, Monaco & Wright "battle" for votes?

Supp. Actress pre-nom--Nancy Lee Grahn (11/5/07): Slapped the hell out of and gave Trevor Lansing an amazingly juicy tongue lashing. She was simply amazing and displayed so much anger, frustration and concern. She makes Alexis seem like a real person.

Archived