TV Guide Canada calls Y&R worst soap on TV

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R is nowhere near as interesting as it used to be, yet watching a show is still more entertaining than most anything GL is offering these days, which is one of my all-time faves but not currently worth watching. I wouldn't call Y&R the worst soap of all, but it's in the worst shape it's ever been.

• Members

LML has to be either smoking some good stuff or just plain dense to not know that Y&R is crap to the loyal fans who have been watching it for years.

She's managed to fire some of the best actors/actresses on the show within a year's time, the majority of them being characters that added to the rich history of the show, yet she keeps some of the crappiest worthless characters on the show, some which have no purpose of being on there, except to help cover up a stain on the wall.

• Members

I'm so glad a mainstream media outlet called out LML and all her crap. Another thread regarding Carolyn Hinsey's rant about the characterization/assassination of Phyllis only cements my opinion that the once untouchable Y&R has fallen fast and hard into the daytime melting pot.

In terms of ratings they ARE down. Compared to last year Y&R has lost over 300,000 viewers in the 18-49 demo/HouseHold share and is down in every ratings section except teenage girls and male viewers and those gains have been very modest.

The thing LML, CBS and SONY failed to realize is that Y&R viewers are not stupid...they KNOW their characters and KNOW when the writing is not matching history. Y&R, from 1973-2006, was a character driven show but with LML and her band of merry hacks at the helm it has become a plot driven mess.

What Lee Phillip Bell must be thinking...the icon she and her husband created (and then was lovingly cared for by Kay Alden and, to a lesser extent, John F Smith) has been decimated in less than a year.

And yes, LML did write for PC and it was terrible, when you can't make a show starring Lynn Herring and Jon Lindstrom work you know you aren't cut out for daytime. As an aside may I just add that both Donna Mills and Joan Van Ark hated LML's writing on KL and when Donna Mills (one of the true sweethearts of Hollywood) hates you and you're writing...Lynn, darling, you're over and you know it.

• Members

I've been away for the past 10 days so color me SHOCKED that this hack is still ruining Y&R. Why hasn't she been given the pink slip yet?!

The way B&B has been holding on tight to Kay Alden, Eileen Davidson, Heather Tom and Lauralee Bell makes me wonder whether Bradley Bell is making a play for the HW position on Y&R.

• Members

Y&R, the worst? On TV? In TVGuideCanada's dreams! :lol:

Cat==Posted Sep 5 2007, 10:27 AM==The way B&B has been holding on tight to Kay Alden, Eileen Davidson, Heather Tom and Lauralee Bell makes me wonder whether Bradley Bell is making a play for the HW position on Y&R.

aMLCproduction==Posted Sep 5 2007, 11:15 AM==O God I HOPE NOT. BRAD BELL stay away from Y&R.

Then who would HW B&B? I doubt that Alden would cuz she & Bradley don't get along. Ferri Esser? I still say that she's an underated writer.

You took the words right out of my mouth, aMLCproduction! I think Alden joined B&B to help out Bradley with Brooke's rape SL, among other things. She won't stay long. I wouldn't be surprised if she returned to help out LML next year.

How credible is Joan Vark Ark re: her disapproval of LML. I felt her role as Gloria on Y&R was too cartoonish. And it wasn't the writers' fault. I liked LML's stint on PC; the show went downhill when Scott Hamner took over.

How would people feel if Natalie Minardi Slater was promoted as co-HW instead of Hamner? Would that make a difference? NML's been writing for Y&R since 1998. What will please anti-LML folk, to fire her & EVERY staff member she hired/brought on board to Y&R since November 2005?

Remember: When Y&R falls, so does CBS Daytime. Case in point: Friday, August 31, 2007

Archived