Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pam is the only ESPN commentator in Australia. She's not even calling matches but doing courtside commentary and post match interviews. They have her doing those fluff look I'm with the Aussie crowd pieces. Everyone else is back in NY covering it from there. It's a mess. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Was Pam there on behalf of ESPN? I heard she has been coaching a WTA player.

I agree about ESPN+ being ridiculous, which is why I refuse to subscribe to that service. I don’t think that either ESPN or Tennis Channel with their bogus TTC+ service deserve the rights to stream tennis, they are both flops and do a disservice to the intent to “grow the game”, if tennis even cares about their stated goals to make the sport more accessible anymore. 

The scheduling of some of these matches is ridiculous and I haven’t made the effort to watch even a fraction of them. Tennis Australia was never perfect, they had some scheduling gaffes in the past but this year has already shown to be questionable. Three roofs and they still have players having to play three days in a row??

I wasn’t going to watch that Murray/Kokkinakis match but I tuned in for part of the 3rd and final sets. In the third set, I honestly thought that if Thanasi didn’t close out the match in straight sets, he would never win it. I was right. I think he’s going to have night terrors about that match for some time to come.

The ESPN headquarters is in Bristol, CT and from all accounts, they are a drain on the state’s taxpayers.

• Members

My gym (a very expensive one) - basically ditched all of their basketball courts - indoor - very nice - 3 of them.  for 6 or 9 pickleball courts instead, and they are always busy.  

I don't mean to be mean, but.....well, maybe I do. And I say this from experience.  I come from a gigantic gaggle of volleyball and tennis players as friends.  Played volleyball at the Open level for many years.  Well, as we've aged.......

All of them now play pickleball.  It's another cult activity like volleyball was.  I'm being totally honest.  They are ATE UP with it as we country folk would say.  And I mean ATE 8 UP with it.  

So - again not to be mean, but it's another sport for fat people to think they're workin' out.  So many of the people at the gym, you can tell - no athletic ability whatsoever in the case of my gym - so they're not going to be great players.  But they have the best time from what I see - and they come out talking about what a GREAT workout that was!

And they stood there swinging a paddle for about 30 minutes due to the court time booking.  There's not a ton of running because of the space, honestly.  And it's not like you're jumping to the moon like you would in volleyball.  I think it's a farce.

But switch gears back to my competitive friends, and they're ALL up in the $200 and $300 pickleball paddles.  I laugh at them and have made my feelings known.  Ok y'all.  It's not a better paddle.  It's not versitile.  It's not more "meneuverable".  It's not more more more more BETTER because of all the kevlar in it.  What are you going to do, hit someone with it?  That's why it's $300 and is BUILT TO LAST!??  Um, WHAT?

It's a paddle y'all.  And should cost about $20.  And to prove it, tell me the rules, what do I do?  Well, I played with all of my pickleball fanatic friends who are 8 UP with it, and completely kicked some of their asses. 2 of them have their Pickleball Pro card.  Whatever that means.  No, I'm not joking, they're certified.

All that to say - it'll be popular because everyone can think they're athletic.  And it's not that great, but that's just me.