Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If he’s truly injured, why would he play? I just don’t think Novak would pull out if his body were up to scratch. It would be a bad look in Serbia, above all else. They would probably have lost the mixed-doubles match anyway, so I’m not sure what difference it have would made.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

This is super random, but I sort of grew up watching tennis on TV from about 89 to 95. Obviously, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Aranxa Sanchez Vicario, the inimitable Gabriela Sabatini, Jim Courier, Agassi, Pete Sampras... I caught the tail end of Boris Becker's career. Then, I fell off the wagon. Came back a few times after Seles came back, watched the Williams sisters, Clijsters, Henin, the beginnings of Joker, obviously Federer. Fell off the wagon again 2008. Should I start again? Honestly, it takes a lot of time to keep up. I used to watch quarters and up pretty much of each of the grand slams and many smaller tournaments' semis and finals. But this was all live, sometimes pre-recorded. This was before the Tennis channel with only ESPN, NBC and CBS. But now there's youtube, with all the highlights and cut-up good stuff. But it's not the same, I miss the booth commentary, many of the older commentators retired.

• Members

IMO there are a lot of promising younger stars (and Naomi Osaka is a legit superstar, for reasons only partially tied to her tennis), but maybe check again in 2-3 years to see where things sit? Feels a bit like a transitional period right now. A new generation of stars has yet to truly step up like the names you’ve listed.

• Members

Unfortunately, it has only become more arduous to keep up. The ITF/ATP/WTA and the broadcast agreements they have made over the recent years have fragmented the viewing audience. Perhaps, it is mostly in the U.S. where this happens, but there are definite times where there is confusion over tournament starts and broadcast and streaming platforms. I don't remember being as frustrated as in the past four years or so, but pandemic viewing really takes the cake.