The Tennis Thread

• Members

Hey, thanks so much! I might check out the US Open provided it's with an audience. I'm not watching the Olympics because the audience is not there, and I don't want to remember it like this. Is the US Open phone/tablet app still free to stream without the commercials? It was all these years ago last time I checked it out. I remember the pleasure of watching 3-4 hours straight without any commercials, but these days are probably long gone and I have to pay for a pass? I'm not good at watching TV with commercials anymore, so that might be more difficult as I tend to get distracted a lot more than when I was younger. 

I wanted to add some other superstars I remember from so long ago - Gustavo "Guga" Kuerten, Michael Chang, Jana Novotna (RIP). I was camping without a TV in the summer of 1993, so I actually listened to the whole Wimbledon final on BBC radio live! It was so different only hearing than watching, but the emotions were palpable!

I have some roots in the east, and I remember when I was young watching there weren't that many Russian Superstars at the time. I remember Medvedev. I never bought into the whole Kournikova / Sharapova cults of personality, but I remember rooting for Marat Safin. Why do we think none of the Russians never had lasting success but there were so many of them who were up-and-comers and then just disappeared?

This is the impression I've been getting, even though I am now just an outsider looking in at this point.

Edited by Lex S
Grammar

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Interesting that tennis produce gold to those that have never won a major and the same for golf. I never put stock in it because a lot of players skip the Olympics or aren't there because it's limited to just a few. 

I mean seriously Belinda the bitch won gold...

Please register in order to view this content

Didn't see the match but Mary and Darren mentioned the abuse chargers against Sasha. Interesting the ATP won't do anything unless she presses charges which she is not. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I can't dismiss the history of tennis at the Olympic Games, for the simple reason of the list of players who have won in the past:

Steffi, Capriati, Lindsey, Venus, Serena, Becker, Nadal, Federer, etc. all easily HOF.

I can't speak to what it means this year or what significance it will have in years to come but if you asked those players and others who won gold medals in tennis, I think they would say it meant a hell of a lot to them.

As to that other situation, the ATP had always maintained that without charges, they felt there was nothing else to go on. The brief amount of time they spent investigating the incident at the Masters tournament in Shanghai yielded nothing (my guess is that no one would talk since they all worked for the tournament and resolved to keep it hush hush).

Unfair as it is, the burden of proof is on the accuser in legal matters, so unless she comes forward or there is something more revealed that prompts a revisited investigation, well, I see the ATP continuing on this path. Maybe there are some new revelations coming? 

• Members

There has been some stinkers of gold medal winners though...and just watched Sasha post win interview... Said winning gold is the biggest win in tennis even more so than majors no matter what anyone says...ok whatever Sasha

I just love when mediocre players complain just to complain when their career is garbage...

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Is Mark Phillipousis a commentator somewhere now or completely out if public life? His career was plagued with injuries and setbacks but I remember him trying so hard, especially at Wimbledon.

Wow, and I just remembered another Aussie - Pat Rafter - he had a very short-lived meteoric career and actually retired at his peak? 

• Members

Sasha's talking crazy. Olympic medals are wonderful add-ons, particularly for players who have already won major titles but it will never be a substitute for a major. Tennis players usually dream of winning Wimbledon or a Roland Garros title and the others. It just seems disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

The last time I saw or heard about Pat Rafter, he seemed pretty happy with his life in general and most of all, that he's not coaching the Australian team in Davis Cup.

I cannot really speak to how Phillipousis is doing, he has kids now I think. I remember when he did that reality show but that was ages ago.

• Members

Pat Rafter!  

He was my favourite back in the days when I followed tennis more closely. Such a wonderful serve-and-volley player of a kind we just don't see nowadays. Too bad that he never got to win Wimbledon before his shoulder injuries more or less forced him to retire. He should have won in 2001 instead of the boring serve-bot Ivanisevic.  

• Members

People didn't like her commentary but I at least appreciated Alexandra Stevenson blurting out that anecdote about how she, Venus and Serena used to spend rain delays rating guys on the ATP Tour according to their levels of "hotness".