Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sorribes Tormo dragged Ashleigh Barty all over the court today.

It's hard for me to reconcile heat being a factor for Barty. It looked like Sorribes Tormo made the match very very physical, running Barty all over the court, mixing up shots and keeping Barty on her heels, not allowing her to essentially stand in virtually one place and hit.

• Members

Brad Gilbert said that Felix Auger-Aliassime had likely been preparing himself for days to play Andy Murray (who FAA beat in their previous meeting) and had no game plan for his replacement. Tbh, I tend to agree, as the news of Murray's withdrawal came a few hours before the match was set to take place. 

Olympic tennis can yield some unpredictable results sometimes.

• Members

God I’m tired of hearing about Naomi Osaka.  I get it.  Depression.  But the commentators even the good ones - I just can’t.  Earlier they said something like you wake up alone in tennis, you travel alone, you go to bed alone.  I mean come on already…they’re not a bunch of hermits, and  how many single people live alone?  I get it, social anxiety and depression.  Just the statement about living such an apparently lonely life just grates for me.  That along with a couple of times I’ve heard about her playing for her beloved Japan.  Oh yes- Beverly Hills Japan.  Very fond of it myself.  And it’s so beloved - I have to look that up - but Japan had to change their rules a couple years ago so she could play for them. For some reason - she hadn’t been there for some period of time, or pretty much never.  Whatever it was.  Very beloved. 

• Members

FAA lost to Sarah Purcell

Please register in order to view this content

Murray needs to retire. 

God I love her game. She makes you work for the win. 

@Faulkner Rublev loses to your guy Kei. Rublev has played too much tennis. He looks burnt out.

Tsisitpas.. God his hair... For a minute there I thought it was his mother playing He looks burnt out too..Tiafoe next.

Newlywed Monfils loses to Ivanska.

• Members

I wasn’t able to watch, but a lot of pundits were claiming it looked like vintage Kei. Maybe playing in his home country inspired him, and he won bronze last Olympics. Plus, he knew he couldn’t just go walkabout like he usually does against some nameless scrub in the opening rounds of a tournament—he was playing Rublev in Round One and had to be on point and fully focused.

But as he ages, I feel less confident he’ll be able to sustain any quality, at least not enough to win big titles. 

I saw CSN beat Jabeur. That’s a good win for her.

The other Monfils beat the evil Laura Siegemund, so I guess it evens out!

• Members

I didn't even expect the Monfilses to play in Tokyo, they had an exceptionally short honeymoon getaway.

These courts are so slow but maybe Kei can make a go of it. Too bad there are no spectators. Under normal circumstances, Kei would've had a loud and proud Japanese public at his matches.

Sorribes Tormo seems like a 21st century version of Arantxa Sanchez Vicario. I'm not sure how sustainable her style of tennis will be in these weather conditions and I suspect that a truly big hitter can still bash her off the court, as in the case of what eventually happened to Sanchez-Vicario.

• Members

I don't know why people sleep on Vekic, she's a fighter, I noticed this years ago. Injuries and a knee surgery, I think, was what has kept her ranking lower than it should be.

The Spaniards tend to perform well in tennis at the Olympic Games. Even CSN, just recently in remission, managed to take Pliskova to three sets.

And like I said before, tennis at the Olympics tend to yield some strange results sometimes.

Swiatek is beginning to give off an air of emotional instability, imo. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer