The Tennis Thread

• Members

Honestly, I think it's a matter of priorities.  The ATP invested heavily in China, even though the number of Chinese ATP players in the Top 100 was and continues to be negligible.  It's pretty obvious why.

As for ROI in Latin America and Africa, remember that the ATP has a whole entire Latin/South American swing during the spring and it's usually very well attended, I'd say attendance is consistently better than the tournaments in China (with the possible exception of the later rounds in the Shanghai Masters).

I'm not sure why the lone ATP tournament in South Africa was disposed of but when the Williams Sisters did their mini-tour in South Africa, they were wildly successful, but then again, both Williams Sisters have pretty much been beyond tennis for a few years now.  Seeing clips floating all over SM of Venus co-hosting the 3rd hour of the Today Show pretty much tells me so.

The ATP/WTA are not so much about "growing the game" anymore as they are about the cash grab. China/Europe, (China especially) and parts of the Middle East --those places provide the quick cash.  If KSA weren't so tainted right now, I'm sure they'd want to have a tournament there too.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Matteo has an awful backhand. I really never paid attention to his return. He can't beat the top 3 at all. He competes fiercely against players ranked in the top 10 minus the top 3. He can play rather average against players ranked lower than him. He can have bad loses to unknown players. He is very hit and miss. That's why I am not a fan of his yet. The US Open is what got him to the final 8. I personally didn't see it coming. He has a good forehand and first serve but can double fault a lot. His backhand and volleys are his weakness.

And Monfils should've beat him in NY. That was ridiculous. Had he it would've been Monfils playing this week and not Matteo.

• Members

I agree with this. 

I'm not trying to be dismissive of Berrettini but Novak demonstrated how many holes there are in his game just by switching up the pace of his shots and refusing to trade FH strokes from the baseline. 

I agree about Monfils, who, despite his posturing, let nervousness and an unfamiliar opponent get the better of him in NYC.  Today, I did hear some tennis fans on twitter request Monfils to be subbed in, in place of Berrettini, LOL.  No such luck because if anyone withdraws, we're going to get Bautista-Agut.  No thanks, lol.

Novak's team prepared him well to play Berrettini, who was a bit nervous and uncomfortable and never got a foothold in the match, mainly because Djokovic wouldn't let him. Anyone who wants to beat Berrettini going forward needs to watch that match, Novak provided a very clear primer on how to beat Berrettini.  Don't give Matteo a clean, flat, hard-hit ball because he feasts off it.  Add variety to the choice of shots and mix up the pace. Don't allow Matteo to camp on the baseline and trade forehand shots. Also, exploit his dodgy volleys.