Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm in Northern VA and the Citi Open is this week in DC.  I've gone in some years but it's usually brutally hot.  I wish I could get time to go this week - it's a  nice little tournament and the players walk around the grounds or come watch matches standing right beside you for the outer courts.  They have a nice lineup this year for both men's and women's...and Coco G. made it through qualifiers yesterday.  

• Members

Maybe someone knows - I really don't - but they play at night in DC.  I don't know if other tournaments leading up to the Open do.  But when I say it's hot - it's HOT in the main court/stadium.  It's brutal. Do other tournaments play at night?  When I went, I had a box of seats but I went in the champagne tent.  Whatever they call it.  

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Yes, there are definitely night matches at the Miami Open (which, being Miami, also has the capacity to get very hot and humid) as well as the U.S. Open in NYC (in the NYC metro area, we are currently on heatwave #4 this year) where there have been some classic and some infamous night matches.

Not to mention the Australian Open (played during their summer season in Jan/Feb.) where the weather can get pretty brutal, has played night matches for the last 15+ years now).

• Members

I should have said leadups to the US Open.  I was just looking at prize money and I have to say - I'm a Citicard holder and I'm going to contact someone at citi.  I know there is unequal pay in everything but this is ridiculous.  I wanted to know what the pay is for each round.  The Men get like $350,000 to win.  I know the women's tournament was a different tier for many years here in DC.  Well it's now an International event but the winner only gets $50,000 or $47,000 or so.  What the hell?  Cut that men's money a bit and give a little more to the women.  Even the Men's Doubles winners get more than the single women's winner!  I need to tell my DC tennis playing friends - I wonder if they even know?   I know there is always a difference unfortunately but this is crazy.  I knew there would be a disparity but I had NO idea how much.  

• Members

Horrible match.  Just awful.  The girl she lost to is basically - not very good.  Put the ball in play.  Between Madison and Sloane I don't even know what to do.  Coco is on next - I'm hoping that she plays well.  DC has turned out for her - I want her to win.  Storms are in the area too - I hope they get this match off.  

Crazy - she plays Center Court at Wimbledon and is on grandstand at this tournament to open.  

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Goodness.  Citi Open must be clutching pearls.  No one of note is left in the women's draw.  I would say Madison Keys but she always loses.  And no one is showing up to see a match for whoever beat coco.  Barely heard of her.  sorry, but true.  

Good tuneup for the Open.  They're all going to suck.  LOL.