The Tennis Thread

• Members

Clay might not be her thing, but I suppose she’s having a rough patch. She has seemed emotional after the big IW win. A lot of stress and expectations.

Djokovic had a comprehensive win over Basilashvili. Nikoloz clearly isn’t an elite level player but he’s a big hitter and if Novak was off, that could have been a difficult match. Glad to see him get through it. Still, I’m not counting my chickens until they are hatched, and we’ve seen Novak look unbeatable in one match only to completely collapse in the next.

Fognini over Thiem! I think Dominic is probably exhausted from the big run at Madrid. Last season, Fabio really challenged Nadal in a couple matches only to throw in a bunch of WTF unforced errors. We’ll see if being on home soil again could allow him to make a run.

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It’s crazy that, in lieu of Hawkeye, that clay court tennis doesn’t have instant replay like many other sports. Like the ability to

review video in the event of a dispute in which there’s no mark. It’s imprecise, but it would resolve issues with egregiously bad calls like this. 

The full exchange with Karolina:

• Members

Wow.....I probably have it on my dvr as I haven't seen the match. I wonder if she would get suspended? The umpire in the match was horrible. She didn't even know where the mark was and said she "thought" it was out. What horrible officiating by the umpire. She looked totally incompetent. The ball actually looked good when it landed on the court.

• Members

The call was clearly bad but Pliskova's response to it was also bad.  If there is any doubt, look at Sakkari's reaction. Pliskova's human but there's no way she should avoid a fine.

If she doesn't get a fine, then everyone else who has a similar reaction ought not to be fined either. 

When we see Nick Kyrgios' antics, nobody should say ever say a word again then. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

She definitely deserves a fine, just like Jared Donaldson did. Actually what she did was worse. I’m seeing some people say she deserves a suspension, and that wouldn’t bother me. Adults just don’t resolve things with violence.

What a shameful tanking from Schwartzman.

Saw Venus survived a tough three-setter with Elena “HIYAAA!” Vesnina.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Maria Sharapova is just the worst. I must admit she throws good shade at times, but someone who served a lengthy suspension for a failed drug test needs to have SEVERAL seats and be humble as Kendrick Lamar said.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Oh dear. Well, let’s see if Gavrilova has enough left to take out Masha.

The women’s matches look good tomorrow.

Konta/Ostapenko 

Kasatkina/Svitolina 

Halep/Keys

Sakkari/Kerber 

Venus/Kontaveit rematch

Sloane/Garcia

Dasha/Masha

Sevastova/Wozniacki 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Nishikori beat the brakes off Kohlschreiber. Didn’t expect him to be so dominant in that matchup.

Djokovic is having trouble closing out Ramos-Vinolas. It’s sad that, if he gets over the line, he’ll have to meet Nishikori in the quarterfinals. They’ll knock the f*** out of each other, softening each other up to be easy pickings for Rafa. But somewhat encouraging signs from both.

Sad that Del Potro is seemingly injured. Hope he recovers for RG. 

The Zverev-Edmund TB looked epic. Sascha held his ground, though.

Meh, Sharapova. Can someone get this girl together in Serena’s absence? Not sure Ostapenko is the one to do it.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I am done with the Italian Open.....the QFs will be a snoozefest from Kei vs Joker...zzzzzzzz.....to Sasha vs Goffin....we know Sasha will finally tank and Goffin will move on......Nadal vs Fognini.....Fog only does well in his home tournament....what a waste...forget the rest of the boring QFs......I'll pass