The Tennis Thread

• Members

I remember Serena showing hers and I thought wtf is that? Why are they so tiny? Then Thiem posted he had received his replica US Open trophy in the mail and it was huge... The same size as the actual trophy. Not sure what the French and Australia give in trophies.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the U.S. Open trophies have always been closest to the display trophy in size. I remember in 2000 when Marat Safin and Venus Williams won, Safin said something about struggling to fit his trophy in the overhead compartment, as he was insistent that he was bringing it on the plane, not checking in baggage.

• Members

I have a lot of Louis Vuitton, my most prized is the big Pegase and I only take it on the train.  My friends are always asking me (well when we were traveling)...where it was when we fly.  I'm like, *itch peggy does not get checked at baggage...she might not come back.  She goes on the train or to the beach only.  Although one time I did check it because it was a small flight and they took the bags at the gate and it kind of was satisfying wheeling her through the airport.  A tennis trophy I cannot imagine - that would be going on the plane with me somehow, some way if I had to buy a seat for it.

Overall I thought it was a better match than I would have thought.  I said before, I can't hate on Joker and there's almost something gratifying that for years he was just kind of there...with the question would he be able to challenge Nadal and Federer...and now it's pretty solidified that he actually will become the greatest of the 3.  Yes, there's a pandemic, but it was the same for everyone.  And it's not like Novak came along when Nadal and Federer were already decrepit.  They weren't and still aren't.  I expect Nadal to pull out at least 1 or 2 more French Opens - call me nuts.  But I can also see Novak winning 4 more slams.  No one is up to the task mentally and that's what it is with him.  He not only has the weapons, he makes good decisions.  I love Federer and he will always be my favorite, but I can't hate on Joker.  He deserves it and I kinda feel bad for him...he's said before, everyone rooted against him for the most part when it came to the other two.  It must be a thrill to be able to smile to yourself and be OK with not being the most revered and most loved but doing your own thing and just accepting it and doing your thing.  

• Members

Roger Federer is the latest to skip the Olympics, as expected. Says he’s having a knee issue again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRRhJdfFBgE/?utm_medium=copy_link

I know Novak has always wanted to win Olympic gold, but I do wonder if he’ll prioritize the U.S. Open knowing how close he is to a CYGS. (Still, only Graf has done the Golden Slam—the four majors in a calendar year, plus Olympic gold.) Federer at least has a gold medal in doubles with Stan.

• Members

I don't blame Djoker for skipping.  Too much going on with Covid and if he can get the CY Slam, I'd say that was much more important.  He needs to stow away in his pod for a few months and then come out to train so he can take the US Open.  I'm here for it.

• Members

On TV

He's wearing white shorts and underneath he's wearing a navy thong. You can see his a$$ and when he turned junior was tight in there with no room to breathe.

And in Newport fat slob Jack Sock is playing. He got a wild card into the main draw. He's ranked in the 300 hundreds... Lord

Edited by Soapsuds