The Tennis Thread

• Members

This article was in one of our Saturday papers. Sounds like it is going to be good.

SPORTS fans will be able to trade tennis for a pool party as the Australian Open pushes new ground for fan engagement next month.

A wading pool in a new, three-storey “Melbourne Beach Club” will be the coolest place at Melbourne Park as the sun beats down on the two-week tournament.

AUSTRALIAN OPEN TENNIS 2018: FANS GET TWO SPORTS IN ONE IN NEW DEAL

KOOYONG ORGANISERS TRYING TO LURE SERENA WILLIAMS 

Fans will dip in a pool backed by a digital wall screening beach images in another Grand Slam first served up by the popular Melbourne event.

A sandy dance floor in an expanded beer garden will be free with a ground pass.

And “Tokyo Alley’’ — a Japan-inspired zone featuring a karaoke bar, video games and Asian food — will add another dimension to an event increasingly focused on more than just the best tennis.

Australian Open director Craig Tiley said the new ­attractions went “the extra mile’’ to try to make the ­tournament the most engaging event of the summer calendar.

c8539d8bbcf85d41f6b2933227597f38?width=6
Patrick Boyle and Emma Weir are looking forward to the all new grand slam oval, which will feature a pool. Picture: Sarah Matray

“We pride ourselves on being the most fan-friendly event and are constantly striving to give everyone more and more reasons to be here,’’ he said. “When you add in the world-class tennis and music, there really is no better place to be this summer than the Australian Open.’’

In a tribute to the other three grand slams — Wimbledon, the US and French Opens — fan zones with London, Paris and New York themes will be expanded on-site.

A double-decker bus and a fish-and-chips shop will take centre stage in a “London Rocks’’ area on Grand Slam Oval. Southern barbecue will be served at “Highway USA’’.

The Paris Quarter includes a bakery offering fresh French pastries and champagne.

An Aussie wine bar will have deck chairs, beach umbrellas and cabanas for fans watching the likes of Roger Federer, Serena Williams and Nick Kyrgios on big screens.

The Australian Open will be staged from January 15-28.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What a great way to start the new year!  Watching my favorite Dominic Thiem play the first day of the year and winning and wishing everyone a Happy New Year after his win.

Please register in order to view this content

Noticed his dad and brother were in the stands watching his match.

Great to have tennis once again!

The American men went 1-2 last night with Ryan Harrison the only winner in 3 sets. I had to LOL at Justin Gimelstob pimping Harrison once again. And I had to LOL when he was asked if Jack Sock would remain in the top 10 this year and he didn't answer....LOL

• Members

Well at least has some humor. Never cared for his game but yeah to watch him lose....LOL. I don't miss him in the tour. All that said....I think he is finished playing tennis. A hip injury was what got Gustavo and Norman off the tour. His withdrawal puts him at #18 in the world now but that won't matter considering how far it seems he is from returning to the tour.

• Members

Here is what is in our paper.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/serena-williams-withdraws-from-the-australian-open-2018/news-story/5402755f7f0c9474b1b9c4cc979f4050

‘I need more time’: Serena Williams withdraws from the Australian Open 2018

Leo Schlink

SERENA Williams has put long-term gains ahead of short-term glory by withdrawing from the Australian Open.

The American contacted Tennis Australia to notify organisers she would miss the January 15-28 grand slam after playing only one exhibition match since the birth of her daughter Olympia in September.

“After competing in Abu Dhabi I realised that although I am super close, I’m not where I personally want to be,” Williams said.

“My coach and team always said ‘only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way’.

“I can compete – but I don’t want to just compete, I want to do far better than that and to do so, I will need a little more time.

“With that being said, and even though I am disappointed about it, I’ve decided not to compete in the Australian Open this year.

“The memory of last year’s Open is one that I will carry with me, and Olympia and I look forward to coming back again.

“I appreciate the support and understanding of my fans and everyone at the Australian Open.”

Australian Open Tournament director Craig Tiley expressed his admiration for Serena’s efforts to return to the game she loves.

6157d4151db61c600974a386f10c82eb?width=6
Williams does not feel she is ready to re-enter the grand slam circuit

“The true champion Serena is has been demonstrated in the herculean efforts she has made over the past few months in her desire to play the Australian Open,” he said.

“Serena transcends the sport in the way she approaches all aspects of her life and consistently gives her all in everything she does.

“It was never going to be good enough for her to just compete, she wants to give herself the best chance to win.

“I’ve been in constant contact with Serena and her team and know this is why she has pushed it and pushed it until the eleventh hour to make her final decision.

“We all wish her the very best and I look forward to seeing her back on court this year, and can’t wait to welcome her back to the Australian Open in 2019.”

Williams, 36, has won 23 singles majors - a tally exceeded only by Australian Margaret Court’s 24.

It now seems likely the former world No 1 will return to competition during the US hardcourt swing in either February or March ahead of the French Open in May.

OTHER NOTABLE WITHDRAWALS

Andy Murray: the former world No.1 and five-times runner-up is out due to an ongoing hip injury

Kei Nishikori: the former world No.4 and US Open runner-up is the first big name to officially withdraw after succumbing to a wrist injury.

Svetlana Kuznetsova: the dual grand slam champion and world No.12 will miss the women’s event with a wrist injury.

IN DOUBT

Rafael Nadal: the world No.1 continues to battle a knee injury that forced his withdrawal from Brisbane. Still likely to start but no guarantees.

Novak Djokovic: the six-times Open champion hasn’t played since Wimbledon and will make a call after testing his elbow in exhibition events at Kooyong and Melbourne Park.

Stan Wawrinka: the 2014 Open champion also hasn’t been sighted in six months as he battles a knee injury that will restrict his build-up to next week’s one- night Tie Break Tens.

Victoria Azarenka: the two-time champion and former world No.1 remains locked in a custody battle that is preventing her son leaving California. STRUGGLING Jack Sock: the in-form world No.8 hurt his hip in an on-court tumble at the Hopman Cup in Perth.

Garbine Muguruza: the reigning Wimbledon women’s champion retired from the Brisbane International with severe cramps but has since been cleared to play in Sydney next week.

Caroline Garcia: the world No.8 retired from her first-round match in Brisbane with a back injury.

• Members

Stan Wawrinka: the 2014 Open champion also hasn’t been sighted in six months as he battles a knee injury that will restrict his build-up to next week’s one- night Tie Break Tens.

I had to laugh at this one. It's like Unsolved Mysteries...where is he? He is still probably pouting about Magnus Norman leaving him as his coach.

I am still looking forward to it. I am sure the courts will be fast again to favor Federer but I am hoping he doesn't win either. I am sick of him and wish he'd retire.