AMC: Canadian TVG Online Interview with Estensten & Brown

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps it's because Eden was the last AMC star to win an emmy. Thus that makes her "better" and "nonreplaceable" like Rebecca and Alexa apperently are. :rolleyes: This show puts so much emphasis on the emmy's it's not even funny. Levenn got two emmy nominations and she was rewarded with a dual role and now were stuck with Ava Benton one of the most annoying newbies written in the past 4-5 years.

But I do agree. Alexa and Rebecca were able to rise above that trash known as writing and were able to give us moments of entertaining and powerful drama. They too were every bit as good in their roles as Eden was. But I guess Eden according to them is not replaceable. I love Eden just as much as the next gal but her abscence on the show is glaring and it has to come a time where she either needs to commit to the character or let Bianca be recasted. Her 2 minute visits hurt the show more then help.

I didn't understand that either. It's true that you want to write to the actor/actresses strong spots. But at that same time you don't change the character around to fit the actor. You get a strong actor/actress who is able to handle the needs of the character and then you see the nuances the actor/actress brings and then add that to the character. You don't take bits and peices of characters out to fit the actor/actress. If that was the case it wouldn't be acting. :blink::mellow::rolleyes:

• Members

Well I did like the interview and it seems like they are committed to writing powerful stories for AMC and so far I am liking what they got delivering: Spike being deaf and how it effects everyone around him, Annie's past, Adam and JR coming together to take back Chandler Enterprises from Zach, Ava/JR/Amanda, Jack/Erica, and maybe Aidan/Greenlee although I like Josh/Greenlee better

I disagree where the interview said we had to suffer through four years of McTavish's plot driven stories. Not all of them were plot driven (consider Bianca's rape, Bianca hiding her pregnancy from Erica, Bianca/Kendall bond, babyswitch, Krystal's baby's paternity involving Tad and Adam, Garret's obsession with Danielle, Edmund's paralysis, Edmund/Maria/Zach, Bianca/Zoe, Satin Slayer maybe but it was still a good story, Jonathan/Maggie and domestic violence, Janet's reign of terror). I'm not defending McTavish in any way but she did give us some good to great stories her third time around

• Members

I was JUST gonna post that. GGRRRRRRR No mention fo her when Jamie leaves even?? Still I know Julia didn't want recurring so if they want her back for a scene they have to hire her contract...

The interview was great--they said a lot of stuff I wanted to hear (i'm glad the gay character thing was mentioned--I think they're right that it's exaclty the right time to casually introduce more gay characters) but I am getting used to reading these kinda great interviews from writers lately and not seeing it delivered on screen so remain scepticle...

Peopel always mention them writing on Dynasty--when and what exactly did they write on it?

• Members

And that's why I'm not too excited yet (even though I've alwasy been defending B&E just cuz I loved their Loving and especially their last year of City so very much) Say what you will about McT but even her harshest critics were quite pleased with her first few months--I remember her first day all of a sudden we got all these family scenes, etc... It was really only the last year that was awful (I even have my doubts that it was her who killed Dixie partly cuz it was done with such a "so what" attitude)

i do liek that so far B&E are actually giving us farewell scenes for characters like Di that in the past would often have left without a word.

E

• Members

That is how I see it as well. 2003 to 2005 was fine with 03 and 04 being great years and 05 being good and solid....but 06 was when she tanked and she improved in 2007 but she definitely needed to go due to the unabortion. How could anyone rewrite that kind of history?

I also added in the character driven story the one about Garret pursuing Danielle....good social conscience story. Oh and now need to add Jonathan/Maggie and the domestic violence.

• Members

Yea I think when she has a great Executive Producer she writes well. Like 1987-1995 it was, save for two years, Felicia Minei Behr who is my favorite EP from AMC. Julie Hanan Carruthers has not been bad either and as far as I know she hasn't been a hack at any of the soaps she has worked on like Port Charles, General Hospital, Santa Barbara. There were rumors going around backstage that Carruthers called for McTavish to be fired since many cast members were complaining to her about the writing.

Archived