Isaiah Washington fired from 'Grey's'

Toups

• Administrator

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20041841,00.html

Isaiah Washington Let Go from Grey's Anatomy

THURSDAY JUNE 07, 2007 10:20 PM EDT

By Mary Green

The speculation is over: After a controversial season, Isaiah Washington will not be returning to Grey's Anatomy, his rep and ABC Television Studio have confirmed.

Howard Bragman, Washington's publicist, says Washington's option was not renewed, and released this statement from the actor: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more."

Bragman did not elaborate on the statement, a reference to the 1976 film Network.

The cast was notified Thursday night of the final decision, which, says a source close to the situation, was a long time coming. In the end, the source says, Washington's behavior made him a liability.

Rumors ran rampant following the season finale – during which Washington's character, Dr. Preston Burke, broke up with his fiancée, Christina Yang (Sandra Oh), and moved out of their apartment – that Washington would not be returning.

The actor first came under fire last fall after getting into an altercation with Patrick Dempsey, during which he allegedly referred to castmate T.R. Knight with a homophobic slur.

Washington later apologized, checked into rehab, met with gay leaders and recently released a PSA decrying the use of hate speech.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yay!!!

Imo, this had to happen. If Don Imus was fired for making derogatory comments about people he had never met, then Isaiah Washington had to go for first calling TR Knight that word and then attacking Patrick Dempsey when he defended Knight. What really annoyed me is how Washington pretended he never said it three months later and only admitted to it after Knight went on Ellen and Katherine Heigl came forward saying Washington shouldn't speak in public. I think this was the best decision for the show.

• Members

I'm happy about this - only bc he was getting special treatment with that ridiculous 'rehab' stint.

And what does he mean by "...and I'm not going to take it anymore"? That sounds a little dangerous, especially knowing his temper.

• Members

At him or about the firing? I would think if she has the number one show on the network, and a big spin-off in the works, she had a say in this. In the article that was posted on SON by her about the finale, she seemed to be opening the door for almost every character but Burke for next season. I do not remember her really talking about Burke, except to say that he had to leave Christina so she would get back to herself.

• Members

ABC should of just fired him in the first place, why did they wait so long???? If I was IW I would be a little pissed, he was working his ass off just to keep his job only to be fired(although he was totally in the wrong). An I think Blair Underwood would be great as a new character, I don't think Dr. Burke should be recasted. The only thing bad about it would be that Diane Carrol won't be a guest star anymore. :(

• Members

Isaiah "Really Angry," Contemplates Lawsuit

Turns out, Isaiah Washington wasn't joking when, in response to being axed from Grey's Anatomy yesterday, he issued the Network-inspired statement, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore." In an exclusive interview, the actor's spokesperson, Howard Bragman, tells me, "Isaiah really is angry."

Particularly mystifying to the star is the timing of his ouster — months after he revived the F-word controversy by repeating the slur backstage at the Golden Globes. "If they wanted to fire him," Bragman asks, "why didn't they fire him when [the incident] happened? Why did they say, 'Here's what you need to do if you want to come back… ' and then, when he did everything that was asked of him, he still gets fired. Why do you treat somebody like that?"

"If you made a mistake, you acknowledged the mistake, you went into counseling, you met with the groups, you did the PSA, you did everything that was asked of you, and then they still kick you in the gut? How would you feel?"

While Bragman says there was no formal agreement with ABC that if Washington did X, Y and Z he could keep his job, "There was a discussion and it was agreed upon that this is what needs to be done to come back, and he did everything," he notes. "And, in fact, WE were the ones that pushed for the PSA."

Although Bragman won't rule out Washington taking possible legal action against ABC, he adds, "It would be premature to speculate. We have time to discuss that." (A rep for ABC studios declined to comment on a potential lawsuit, but a studio executive with knowledge of the TV biz says producers have the legal right to not pick up an actor's option – with or without cause.)

Might Washington, who is currently shooting the independent movie The Least of These in Los Angeles, make a brief return to Grey's to tie up Burke's loose ends? "That would be a question for ABC," Bragman says. "I certainly can't imagine they would tell him they're not renewing his contract and then ask him to come back and clean things up."

Folks, something tells me it's gonna be a long while before we get to say that other f-word about this story: finished.

Linked

• Members

To me that just means he's going to resist the firing and perhaps contest it in court. It's like the union slogan "We're fired up, won't take it no more" that people say on a picket line. It's not violent or dangerous.

Archived