Days: Bryan Datillo On the Way Out?

• Members

Ridiculous claim. On that logic, the show should also fire Sweeney, Nichols, Evans, Melvin, Scott & Madison, all of whom were front & centre (some moreso than Bryan) during the course of the ratings plunge. They should also dump Thaao immediately since the first 2 days of his (heavily promoted) return averaged a 2.1. There are far too many factors influencing ratings for them to be used as referenda on individual characters.

And if folks want to play the "ratings prove LUMI are unpopular game", one could just as easily argue that their wedding and the buzz it created were partly responsible for the growth we are seeing now. Not every good thing that happens on a show instantly spikes the ratings, especially when the good thing follows 4 months of drivel. Alienated viewers tend to be hesitant about returning to a show and look for signs of long-term improvement.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ponz, the week Sami was to marry Austin the show had a 2.6, the week before when she was spending her last single Day's day with EJ, the show had a 2.7. The ratings started dropping in the fall, just J&J and C&A signed out and EJ Wells became Elvis DiMera. They dropped even harder and faster when the show become all about Shelle, Lumi, Chick and EJ the rapist in 2007. You are right that you can't pick out just one of those reasons to single out, except for the week of the Lumi wedding. If Lumi was the supercouple that their fans wish they were, the ratings would have gone up that week, not the next week or the next month. Days fans are the most informed in the business, and the Lumi wedding got tons of press. You love Lumi and that is your right, but a supercouple they were proved not to be.

S&K's story sucks. But I agree, if they don't hold their own with a different storyline, then keeping them on the canvas should be reevaluatated. Chick is great, but thery are newbies and newbies should never be played 4-5 days a week (that does include JS, who was overexposed). EJ was written as a tormenting rapist for months (as a misguided attempt to prop Lumi?), a story that many of the EJami fans from the summer obviously tuned out. Madison and Datillo should be examined closely because they were given tons of airtime, they have experience and history on the show, and they were in a fairly well-written story that was favorable to their characters. If money was not an issue, both should be kept and tried in different relationships/storylines. However, money is an issue, and if actors are going to be cut, either one would be a reasonable choice. But make no mistake, I am not going to write Days and ask for Datillo to be fired. I never have written to the show for any reason, and to demand for someone to be let go would be a classless, tasteless thing to do. I am not a member of an EJami fanboard, I have never even logged on to an EJami fanboard, and I have been watching Days for more than 25 years. I am a fan of the whole show, and while Alison Sweeney has long been a favorite, I was a Lumi fan years ago, and I bear no ill will to Datillo. I just think that the chemistry between Scott and Sweeney is too good to throw away, especially when if the show doesn't gain viewers, the entire cast and crew will have pink slips in 2 years.

• Members
The admin (she's not a mod) at Bryan's is NOT lying. I know Marylina (her name) and she's met Bryan servel times and she's seeing him again this summer at the fan event in Greenville. That event would go too well for her if she posted a lie like this. So again, again... she's not lying!!! Ohh, and I very much doubt Bry is lying.

• Members

ITA. Because of the big returns this summer, some cuts are almost certainly going to have to be made. TPTB have to consider who is going to increase the ratings and keep them on screen. Anyone else is fair game for the cuts. This could mean Lucas is at risk, because (no offense to Bryan) a lot of people have never seen him as anything but a prop for Sami and with the insertion of EJ into this triangle, Lucas is losing even more favor. Like Euclid said, I'm not coming from any fanbase here, I'm just a longtime fan of the show, and I want it to continue for a long time. If this means losing vets like BD and even Lauren Koslow or Julie Pinson (and I LOVE her!), so be it. They are going to have to go with the characters who will bring in viewers, and this means a lot of fans are going to be unhappy. However, the alternative may be to lose the entire show.

• Members

AN UPDATE ON BRYAN

I just wanted to let you know that I had a very lonng email conversation with Bryan's manager last night. She sent along a message in which she expresses her appreciation for our hard work and a concern that something might have been miscomunicated.

Everyone!

Thank you so much for your passion and dedication to Bryan. And we owe our boy an apology! When we questioned him about the rumors swirling around fan weekend, we took his jokes as gospel and dove in to help because of what happened in the past. In this case, our bad. The good? The overwhelming response got us the answers we were hoping for -- that Lucas is safe! Is he front of center with Sami right now? No. But he's still in story and will continue to be. And everyone at the top has been reminded of his strong fan base and our desire for a great, great story for him. One that shows him as the man we love, and the hunk whose shoes we want under our beds! Let's keep the support going so they never forget.

Upwards!

Bryan's team'

Second Chances

• Members

So all this was blown out of proportion because Bryan Dattillo was JOKING? I bet his ass is in hot water right now!

Bryan is probably in Ken Corday's office right now getting told what's what. Can you imagine how annoyed Corday must be, sitting there in his office trying to figure up budget numbers the like, and instead he ends up having to spend his entire day doing damage control because of a JOKE? Not to mention that people have begun speculating about the status of Chris Gerse and Lauren Koslow as a result. Plus, Ken Corday didn't hear what Bryan said, so he doesn't know if he said it jokingly or if he was really trying to get fans riled up in his favor... either way, this whole thing was blown out of proportion.

This isn't the first time Bryan has opened his mouth and "made a joke" that everyone took seriously. Remember his "KILL ALL EJAMI FANS" (or something to that effect) comment in his fan chat? Right after Drake Hogestyn was attacked by a crazy fan who tried to kill him? Yeah, tasteful joke there! It was also mighty presumptuous of him to assume that every one of his fans was a LUMI fan, too.

• Members

Exactly, Kenny.

After all this crying wolf now I very much hope and want Lucas to be killed off or to leave town. Before I was cool with him getting a fun storyline of him falling off the wagon again with bitterness over Sami leaving him for EJ and working at Titan with Phillip to get revenge on the Dimeras/battle them in the business world, but now I am hoping for a bloody, painful death for him. Especially after all the Lucas yelling in today's episode. Ugh.

• Members

Unfortunately, Andre, that' sproof enough that Cord-ass SCREWED with JER's original plan, which clearly had to do with black magic/demons and something truly evil (let's not forget that line that "EVERYONE in Salem" would die. Not to mention the voices, Tom's ghost, blah blah blah.

Since Cord-ass screwed over JER (royally -- and painfully) where it hurts most, I don't fault Celeste. She was right all along. It's not her fault that CORD-ASS screwed her over. :(

• Members

I was getting excited about Bryan/Lucas leaving Days. After hearing of the dastardly deeds Lucas has done in the past, he looks like a weasel and a loser to me. Actually, I liked Lucas with Sami because he seemed to keep her in line and they both loved Will, but I'm beyond that now. Bryan has mouthed off several times that made it to the boards in very disrespectful and trouble making ways. I'm totally turned off by him. Too bad Lucas. I hope your days are numbered or you get a complete overhaul.

Archived