Days: Bryan Datillo On the Way Out?

• Members

So does this:

sdr.jpg

As for the possibility of Bryan Dattillo leaving the show, I'm very "meh" about it. Lucas isn't a character I love or hate, but he does represent something on the show that I once loved -- if only the writers would figure out how to write him the way he should be written.

I said before that Lucas and Sami getting married was the "kiss of death," and it's so true! You just get a gigantic feeling of "what now?" when you think of them, IMO. EJ and Sami, on the other hand... story possibilities out the ass! The LUMI fans did get the wedding and happy ending that they deserved, but it just goes to show, be careful what you wish for. People write into the show, "We want to see our couple happy and married and scrumping day and night!" Well, that's exactly what we got with Lucas/Sami, and now look where it's taken them... they're snoozeville! I much prefer the drama to the face slurping. Yes, with different writing tactics, they could make Sami and Lucas the two frontal characters in this story instead of Sami and EJ, but once again Days has caused itself a dilemma with fanbases. No matter which way they go, one half of the audience is going to be furious. What can you do?

I do hope that they keep Lucas on, if for no other reason than to keep the "twenty-something" group alive, because it's seriously dwindling, LoL. Bring back Nicole Walker to pair with Lucas again! They were entertaining together, IMO, and I would love to have Ari Z. back!

Meanwhile, if it's true and the show really does plan to write Lucas off, that doesn't sit well for Billie and Kate. If the show gets rid of Kate, I'll be furious! She's been my favorite character over the last ten years, without a doubt. And she still has tons to offer, if only the writers could think outside the box and play her in a fresh, new way... the possibilities are endless! She's the "Jill Abbott" of Days -- USE HER! Put her in a triangle with Anna and Tony! Mingle her around with Stefano again.

Am I the only one who thinks it's sort of tacky whenever the stars beg their fans to write the show in order to save their jobs? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but a small part of me (in some cases) just thinks, "Why don't you put a little more effort into your acting... maybe then you wouldn't be in quite so much jeopardy?"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL

I believe the whole Reed family is being written off the show.

Kate, Billie and Lucas.

Not just Lucas.

Chelsea will probably move on with Bo and Hope as her parents.

Hasn't anybody noticed how Billie and Kate been written "scraps" lately? There's no need

for them. They're being "untangled" from all story projections if people pay close attention.

• Members

I just about applauded when you posted this, Kenny.

When I started watching in 1999, Lucas and Sami were mortal enemies. There was talk of him letting her take the fall for a murder she didn't commit. He went into a coma and Sami taunted him. I remember Lucas and Kate using the Will doll to torture Sami in italy.

When Higley was pairing them, I nearly puked. It seemed so wrong.

If we just take into account the fact that so-called "rape" was a writing misstep, then Sami and EJ are no different. I mean, Sami has had her share of rape (*cough* Austin) and kept Lucas from knowing who the father of her baby is. If Lumi fans are willing to look past those misdeeds in favour of their golden, untouchable couple, they are hypocrites.

• Members

I have been wondering recently if "Lumi" would fall in line with Bope and J/M...in regards to one half of the duo being killed or kidnapped by the DiMeras. Especially with Sami's rant about the Dimeras targeting all the people in her life. I think the baby will turn out to be Lucas's, but he will be killed off....How tradgeic for Sami.

I think the TPTB are revising their plans. The writing for both EJ and Lucas as greatly changed over the last few weeks. (ie big bad evil EJ who got off on tormenting Sami is not her “anti-hero”). I guess the writting is on the wall...

• Members

I have nothing against Bryan Datillo, but I wouldn't miss Lucas at all. He's been obnoxious since he first appeared on screen, and the history of Lucas and Sami is full of horrible things they have done to each other. They have hated and tormented each other to the point of wanting each other dead, so IMO they are no better as a couple than Sami and EJ. Yes, EJ raped Sami, but is that really worse than all the things Lucas did to her? Letting her be put to death for his crime (only to save her at the last possible second)? It's all equally bad so in this case, I think the writers are right--go with the couple with the most chemistry and, for me anyway, that is clearly Sami and EJ.

As for Kate and Billie, I would hate to see Billie go as I love Julie Pinson, but Billie has never had any purpose other than to break up Bo and Hope (or recently, Steve and Kayla). The writers never seem to know what to do with her, so if they aren't going to use her, then let her go. I think at one time there was a plan for Billie and EJ, but the Sami/EJ chemistry changed that and once again Billie is left out in the cold. Kate has been so one note for so long that I would love a break from her. She's a character with a lot of potential, like Billie, but the writing has ruined her. I also agree with the poster that said Billie and Kate are being removed from the storylines. It's probably just a matter of time until we hear they are gone.

• Members

ICAM!

The simple fact is if we are to believe that Sami can not just forgive but fall in love with Lucas despite all his sins against her, then there is no reason to think Sami can't forgive and fall in love with EJ.

And sorry, Bryan, maybe I would have been sad at this news in the past, before you told your fans to kill EJami fans and talked all sorts of trash about us. Because I actually did like some of the work you did before that. Maybe if you had kept your mouth shut about EJami fans I would have written TPTB saying that while I support EJami I wanted you to get your own story. But you didn't. So I won't.

Still, though, I do wonder if this news getting out this way is the result of some of contract negotiation posturing going on or some attempt to get in front of storylines that haven't totally been written yet and is not as done a deal as 2C and Bryan's Web site is making it sound. Wasn't it a week ago that Bryan was telling his homegirls everything was great and Lucas would soon be around to save the day?

It seems to me a lot of people are liking EJ who in the past didn't, and this news is one way to try to rile up Lumi fans who are on the fence about who Sami should be with and turn them against the idea of EJami because they feel bad for Bryan when the show is clearly tugging their heartstrings toward EJami. I agree with the posters who view this tactic as tacky.

I don't think EJami would wind up like Lumi at all. There would always be drama between their families on both sides to stir things up and sorry if some Tony-Anna fans here are horrified by me making this comparison, but what I would envision for EJ and Sami would be something akin to classic Tony and Anna. Obviously not the same thing and most likely not as good, but a similar dynamic. The two of them marry for reasons other than love yet Sami eventually develops feelings for her husband, but is it too late? And we get to see the scoundrel and the schemer in a constant tug of war with their feelings as they fight and flirt their way through the relationship.

But regardless of how they would write it, the biggest difference between Lumi and EJami is that in EJami both actors can carry storylines on their own rather than how in Lumi's case it's always about Sami doing something wrong to screw up their relationship. Because Lucas always needs Sami or Kate to give him something to react to for him to have any storyline.

• Members

I think he is. Especially since Lucas went Bye Bye to Salem in your blog too.

As for Bryan, it must hurt his ego to be relegated in not only Ali's shadow, but he becomes expendable the second another actor becomes popular. Lucas has never been a fully fleshed, stand alone character.

• Members

I hope Kate stays around for Philip and Chelsea; and I think she could still be a viable foil for other characters. Maybe a Kate, Tony and Anna triangle?

As for Billie, she should have never returned to Salem after she left in 1999 (during the Krista Allen era).

• Members

IMissAremid, I love how you write my exact thoughts and save me the time of typing it all out myself!

I would love it if Sami and EJ would go the Tony/Anna route you described. The loveless marriage that turns into the real thing is one of my favorite plotlines. It has a lot of possibilities and would be a lot of fun to watch play out.

• Members

I thought this thread was about Bryan Dattilo. I guess bashing James Scott makes some people feel better. By the way, IMO he is an excellent actor and a great addition to Days.

This is not confirmed information anyway. If fans want to be proactive, they should contract the show.

• Members

Hogan wants his Luke & Laura II at all costs and he's looking for the easiest, most agenda-driven way to make that happen. There are 3 major obstacles to the pairing:

*The Rape. Solution: sweep it under the rug. No counselling, no criminal charges, no long-term trauma to the victim.

* Lucas. Can't have Sami's heroine status compromised by adultery. Solution: kill him off. A 14 year vet & major couple sacrificed in the process? Collateral damage.

*Will. No way in hell would he be ok with Sami and her rapist in a relationship. Solution: eliminate him.

Spineless.

Gutless.

Cowardly.

Think I'll bow out of this thread (and SON) before I say something I'll regret. :(

Archived