Cashmere Mafia: Discussion Thread

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Pretty good actors. MUCH better than theleaked premiere of the mindbogglingly similar Lipstick Jungle. but still... I wouldnt' say all that good (Judging solely on one ep) If we're comparign to Sex and the City, and come on the network BEGS the comparison, the main thing missing is a sense of fun or escapism. My sister told me the show made her feel anxious and like she didn't have enough shoved into her already busy life--NONE of these women have more than 30 mins to escape to a kids performance, 30 mins to have a quick tryst with your husband, etc otherwise they're over booked by the second. It did kinda give me a headache--mayeb the pace will calm...

E

• Members

Okay seen it and liked it. Infinitely better than the appalling Lipstick Jungle in that it was never boring (instead of always boring) but the downside to that is a lot was crammed into the pilot. The friendships seemed genuine, the dialogue was much better and I even found some of the comedy funny such as Lucy Liu with the cork or unwittingly all dressing in black for the adultery reveal.

Lucy Liu was surprisingly the least likeable for me. She was so bland and smug. Perhaps I'm more used to seeing her in bitchy roles but there was little about her character that interested me.

Bonnie Somerville was very endearing and I was pleasantly surprised that they jumped into the possibility of bisexuality so quickly without making it the Big! Deal! of the episode.

Miranda Otto was okay. I liked her pouring the coffee for the businessmen instead of doing the cliche "Do you know who I am?" tantrum and her wine soaked speech about why she wanted to stay with her husband was surprisingly well played.

Francis O'Conner was the best for me. The situations she was put in were a little hard to swallow but there's a warmth to her character that I like.

Saw the original three minute trailer on YouTube and they changed quite a lot before the finished product. Several recasts, reworking of key scenes etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

TV This Week

For 'Cashmere Mafia,' a rubout's likely (Note: I Double-Posted This in Oxides)

By Diego Vasquez, MediaLife

When ABC and NBC both announced new shows focusing on a group of stylish,smart career women, each show from a former producer on HBO’s “Sex and the City,” it seemed that whoever got its show on the air first would have a big advantage.

That may not end up being the case.

With its third episode set to air tonight at 10 p.m., ABC’s “Cashmere Mafia” has been a disappointment, earning low ratings, despite a special premiere behind an original “Desperate Housewives,” while also getting poor reviews.

“It's pretty easy to qualify as worst series of the year when the year is less than a week old, but ABC's yucky ‘Cashmere Mafia’ sets the limbo bar so low, only the slackest skeevy show could slither under it before the ball next drops Dec. 31,” writes The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Jonathan Storm.

In fact, some critics have already declared NBC’s upcoming “Lipstick Jungle” the superior show, with its lighter tone and more appealing trio of women, led by Brooke Shields. That show is from Candace Bushnell, the author of the “SATC” column and books that the HBO comedy was based on. “Mafia” was created by Darren Star, the executive producer of “SATC,” who reportedly had a fallout with Bushnell over their competing “SATC” knockoffs.

“Mafia” could well be gone before “Lipstick” premieres on Feb. 7. Last week’s episode averaged a 2.2, 67 percent behind timeslot leader “Law & Order’s” 3.6 on NBC and off 42 percent from a 3.8 for its debut Jan. 6.

The show wasn’t helped by some rather confusing programming decisions made by ABC. After its debut, the network reran the pilot a few days later, but did not schedule another original episode until eight days later, when it moved into its regular 10 p.m. slot.

In tonight’s episode, Caitlin and Alicia go to a lesbian bridal shower, Mia gets fixed up with a brain surgeon and Zoe makes an important business deal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't really get why people are complaing about the fact that LJ is still on and CM isn't. I loved CM too(!!), but CM and LJ wasn't even on the same network and didn't air on the same day. So there's really no need to be bitter about the fact that LJ is still out there.

(I'm not saying you're bitter 'TVSoaps08'. But people in general seems to be.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived