ALL: What shows did you discover in syndication?

bellcurve

• Members

What shows, currently running or now-defunct, did you discover or fall in love with during their run in syndication? It could be a classic show or a more recent show. Both of mine are recent.

The one thing I really thank the local MyNetworkTV affiliate for here is the constant play of BECKER and double doses of SOUTH PARK.

BECKER is one of those shows that was so witty, fast-paced, and had great comedic timing. I admit preferring the Terry Farrell(Didn't she play Reggie?) over the Nancy Travis days, but I liked most all the BECKER shows. Whether you come home, cyncial and in the mood to bitch with John Becker or whether you just in the mood to laugh, BECKER is just one of those sitcoms thant encompasses all of that. I'm so glad this show lasted long enough for a run in syndication, otherwise I never would have seen it.

And I had seen SOUTH PARK before, but never understood why alot of it was funny until I saw it five nights a week for an hour last fall. SOUTH PARK is just so funny and smart. I see what people like about it, even though its got alot of poop jokes.

I'm curious about what others listed as their syndie favorites...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scrubs... I never watched it, until a local station here started showing it an hour late at night. Since I'm a night owl, I got into it and started watching it on NBC too.

CSI, I watched a three day marathon on Spike TV... and I started watching it like no tomorrow.

• Members

I relive my childhood through syndication!! Fresh Prince, Full House and all those. However I did I suppose rediscover Roseanne, as kids we weren't allowed to watch that and I never understood Murphy Brown as a child and I love that show, used to watch it all the time on Nick@Nite but not there no more.

And come to think of it the only thing N@N really plays anymore is Fresh Prince and Cosby. Owe!

• Members

Some of mine are sooooooo lame compared to all of yours, but I mostly fell in love with shows after they were syndicated, as a child. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, here goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooes:

"Sister, Sister" -- starring the DIVINE Tia and Tamara Mowry (and Jackee)

"The Steve Harvey Show"

"Martin"

"Coach"

"Mama's Family"

"All in the Family"

"Three's Company"

"FAMILY ([!@#$%^&*]) TIES" baby!!! :wub:

Let's see...what else...

• Members

I grew up in the 70s so back then a lot of 50s and 60s shows were in syndication on all the other stations (before cable) other than the big three (ABC, CBS, NBC). The Monkees, Partridge Family, Jeannie, Bewitched, Lost In Space, Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, etc. I grew up on reruns. But there was one show that I discovered in reruns when I was 6 years old--I had changed the channel because I was bored with Bewitched. I found a little show about all these different folks on a spaceship having great adventures and I was hooked. I've loved a lot of shows in my life but to this day, nothing comes close in my heart to the original Star Trek. ;) I still have 4 of the dolls my mother bought me. Last time I checked some years ago they were worth about a thousand dollars apiece. But I've joked that they go with me when I go, lol. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, that's exactly what came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread: The Nanny. Never saw one episode of it on CBS, but a few years back I started sampling it on Lifetime and FELL. IN. LOVE. WITH. IT!

I guess I could also say Roseanne cuz I didn't start making a point to watch new episodes til their 8th season (which, by that time, the show had lost its spark) due to the fact that I got hooked on the reruns.

Although I don't watch them anymore, at one point I watched alot of The Brady Bunch, Leave It to Beaver, Gilligan's Island, Family Ties, The Cosby Show, The Wonder Years. That's all I can think of right now.

The Nanny and Roseanne definitely had a 'lasting impression' on me.

Oops, forgot I Love Lucy and The Golden Girls. I remember watching the Golden Girls as it aired on NBC during the last couple seasons, though. Back as a youngster, Saturday night TV was my favorite night: The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, The Nurses, and Sisters. All female-oriented television shows. My parents should've seen the signs back then.... ;)

Archived