Topics You Would Like To See Explored

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On ATWT I would like them to have a storyline for Luke getting a boyfriend and showing all aspects of that storyline.

On B&B I would like to see Brooke go into therapy to see why she is like she is

On Y&R I would like to see a storyline with JT dealing with his drinking problem

• Members

I agree with Clint on the Brooke storyline. They keep giving bits and pieces of her past with Stephen and how he was never there for her as a child, but I want to see more. I'm not saying that I want it revealed that Stephen molested Brooke. That's unnecessary.

• Members

Personally I don't need nor want to see an AIDs/HIV storyline on tv. Unncessary for me and I think it would be too over the top.

I definitely want to see a storyline that explores Brooke's past and her obsession with men, sex, and money.

For ATWT I want to global adventure type of storyline which would have a lot of cast members searching for something important and it takes them all over the world. Perhaps the search for Johnny...lol.

• Members

It would be hard to top Stone's story on GH anyway. The whole town was connected to him. He was involved with Robin, who grew up on the show. He died in real time, slowly over months. One medical problem after another. He did it with dignity, in a storyline written with humanity and heart. The cast was excellent. I still cry when I see clips on youtube.

• Members

I would like to see more class conflict on soaps. That is what is going on in the real world. The great divide between those with money and those without.

Also, more diveristy is needed on almost all the soaps.

How about people with different religions. Nora was Jewish on OLTL, but she is the only one I can think of.

• Members

ITA! I was rubbing my head furiously trying to think of what HASN'T been done and I thought nothing but you definitely opened my eyes again. I would love to see a story exploring classism in the US. When it comes to education, standard of living, healthcare. It would be awesome and theres so much you could do there.

They should also tackle religion. And NO none of that bs that occurs on Passions and NO I don't mean another Demon Possession storyline. I mean a real story that talks about the war and its religious background. Or even the history of religion. Like two families (1 Jewish and 1 Islamic) that are in the same town and trying to coexist with one another. You could even do a love story where the Jewish girl falls in love with the dashing Islamic boy (British or fully Arabic but HOT none the less...lol). The Jewish family could be Holocaust survivors (that might be too campy or played out though). And it wouldn't be the Reliquiary crap on Y&R which I SHUDDER to think about.

• Members

Cuz its constantly in my face all the time and maybe I'm naive and all that but it hasn't affected me nor I am ever going to let it so I don't see the point of having a saop talk about it when to me there are a lot more interesting stories to tell.

Maybe its a generation thing. My thoughts on the subject of AIDs/HIV aren't what you would call politically correct and I don't want to offend anyone so I won't elaborate. Suffice to say though that I wouldn't be excited to see a storyline on it though.

• Members

Racism.

The issue still exists. No, white folks no longer get reserved seats at the front of all buses, and different races don't have to use different drinking fountains, but racism still exists. Especially here in the midwest, where I'm from. I'm a pale white boy, and I can't tell you how many racist white people I know that just assume I'm racist, as well. They'll randomly say something completely offensive and expect me to go along with it, with the complete assumption that I'm racist as well just because I'm white. It wouldn't be possible possible for them to make that assumption unless racism was pretty commonplace here -- and it is.

Soaps have touched on this before, but not nearly enough -- especially in recent years. They might've tackled the issue with compelling stories back in the 70's and whatnot, but there's a whole new generation who haven't seen this type of story represented in daytime today. On the soaps I watch, the white folks and black folks just mingle around with one another, as if there's no color differentiation. In a perfect world, that's how it would be, but that's not the way it really is. Yes, it would be difficult to watch... and yes, it might cause you to really end up looking at certain characters in a different light. But the ugliness needs to be explored in a realistic way, because the issue isn't pretty. No sugar-coating necessary. In my opinion, the issue needs to be explored again.

On an unrelated note, is it just me, or has daytime regressed by decades? Soaps can't even get away with the stuff today that they got away with in the 80's! Daytime used to be known as 'racy television,' and now they show more skin and gritty issues on early primetime shows when children are at home than they do on daytime programs when the kids are in school! What the hell kind of sense does that make?

• Members
You're right about racism. I'm black and reverse racism is also a HUGE problem in America. I never thought it was but I've seen it firsthand and it can be quite vicious. Not to mention its almost as subtle as racism is today. The whole situation is very sad to me. I have friends of all races and its hard to try and get them all together due to self segregation and other factors of course.

• Members

Oh, I forgot homosexuality.

Yes, there have been gay characters in daytime. But so often, it's portrayed all wrong. Either the character is just written as 'the token gay guy,' with no layers other than the fact that he's gay... or they're not given a love interest... or they're written like the cliche queen... the problems go on and on. As for the gay characters who are never given love interests, when one finally arises, it's always in some shady way. Like on Passions, where Chad is having a homosexual affair with a flamer behind his wife's back... nevermind the fact that the macho Chad would never in a million years go for a fugly flamer like him in the first place, LoL.

They should also explore the issue of effeminate gay guys vs. masculine gay guys, because there seems to be some friction there. I would also like them to explore the issue of not fitting into the "cool" gay community unless you're a pretty boy who loves clubby and disco music. I'm not a scrawny, pretty boy with salon hair and I don't tend to fit in with the general gay community because of these and other things... so I'd like to see those issues explored, as well. Not only being judged by homophobes, but being judged by people within the gay community, as well.

Anyway, gays need to be better represented in daytime. I'm not asking for it to turn into "gaytime TV," but we need to see a little more of homosexuals as full-fledged characters. Characters just like all the rest, with only one difference -- their sexual preference. ATWT has done a decent job with the character of Luke, and AMC did a great job with the character of Bianca (who's now a leading heroine) and now the rest of daytime needs to jump on the bandwagon.

Archived