Y&R's Victoria

• Members

I apologize if this has been talked about here before.....I am new to this board and do not remember seeing it. What do you all think of Amelia Heinle in the role of Victoria on The Young and the Restless??

IMO, I've tried and tried and tried to get into her in the role, but I just can't. She seems so standoffish in her scenes and to me she does not fit into the Newman mold (you know that glamorous, snooty kinda persona) and Heather Tom did. I LOVED Amelia Heinle on Loving and the City and thought she ROCKED as Steffy Brewster, especially during the Loving Serial Killer scenes. I even enjoyed her on All My Children and was disappointed that the writers just gave up writing for the character of Mia. After all, Mia was tied to some pretty prominent Pine Valley characters....the half sister of Liza Colby, the mother of Angie and Jesse Hubbard's grandchild...fiancee of Jake Martin.. I think AMC really missed the boat with this character.

So what do you guys think of Amelia as Victoria??? Who do you think would make an awesome Victoria Newman???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's really not as bad as some people make her out to be.

I enjoy her, for the most part, but I just see Heather Tom as Vicky. It's bad when after, what, three years, I still picture Tom as Vicky and wonder how Tom would play out certain scenes.

I think in the right role Heinle could shine. She's just too boring as Vicky, who needs fire and spice and attitude. Heinle's just too nice, lol. No that Tom isn't nice, she is, but she just gets Vicky.

• Members

My top choice for a recast will always be Alison Sweeney, but I think Heinle has done a great job with what they give her, which isn't much. Despite being on screen so much, what has she really gotten to do? Victoria has ZERO personality and is a prop. People talk about that fire and attitude, but they rarely give her a chance to show it. No matter who plays the role will suck because they writing sucks donkey balls.

Remember last year when Vic found out Brad kissed Sharon? THAT was Victoria. She had his ass in check and secretly met with a divorce lawyer, it should've continued but they dropped it. I feel bad for Heinle being so disliked on the basis of terrible writing. Nobody can make this dull earth mother activist interesting.

• Members

I agree ChrisB. I love Amelia and I love Victoria. She is great when they let her be. However, I think that they have been setting her up to be Brad's fool for far to long. Is was a good story for the first six months, but it's dragged on and on and is destroying the character. I still see snatches of the Vikki I love. For example when she took Granville Global from Brad and the long ago smackdown of Brad that ChrisB mentioned.

I think Amelia has what it takes to play a strong Victoria, but she can't play what isn't written. If they write scenes where she takes Brad down then I have every confidence Amelia will bring it. I want her to destroy Brad and then leave him in the dust with nothing. Please soap gods, make it happen!!

Oh, and I want Victoria and JT. B)

• Members

Heinle is a good actress but as it was said, she has no spice for Victoria and I keep praying for Tom to be back. She is the only one and true Victoria. Heinle looks like a new character. Not a bad character but not the Victoria we all cared about.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. It's definitely not that Heinle is a bad actress, she just is not Victoria Newman. To her defense: The atrocious writing from the current regime (although Vickie felt somehow off even during the previous regime ever since Victoria's return from Italy) isn't helping one bit.

Heinle is pretty. But Victoria Newman used to be more interesting than just being a pretty face and stepford wife. Here Heinle simply cannot escape the writing and I'm convinced Heather Tom COULD.

• Members

ITA with all of you....Heinle is an amazing actress and one I have enjoyed seeing on other shows in other roles. I would even enjoy her on Y&R if she were in a new or different role other than Victoria. As someone stated, Victoria has attitude, spice, glamour and we have seen Heinle show shades of that on a few occasions. I do think the writing for Victoria and the show in general leaves alot to be desired, but something tells me that Heather Tom, Allison Sweeney or even Gina Tognoni could go above what was written to capture the true essence of Victoria. It is a shame because I do like Heinle, as I stated I enjoyed her on Loving, The City and even All My Children.... where I wish she still was and the show would've written something for her than just throwing in storylines to see if she would fit.

• Members

I think when the show cast Amelia they made a conscious decision to change the character though. That's why I think it's a little unfair to say she isn't bringing the same spunk that others could. I really think the writers decided to make Victoria more demure. I only pray they plan to bring her back to her roots soon though because I'm getting very frustrated seeing Brad walk all over her.

• Members

ITA! I want the Vicki back that slapped TGVN like it was NOTHING! Honestly, Heinle just isn't getting the material to play the Vicki we all loved. We see glimpses of the "old" Victoria, but it's not nearly enough to bring her back to who she really is.

Archived