Hey, Roseanne? Kiss my ass!

KLN

• Members

From a recent radio interview (posted on PerezHilton)...

"Never once in my 54 years have I ever once heard a gay or lesbian person who's politically active say one thing about anything that was not about them. They don't care about minimum wage, they don't care about any other group other than their own self because you know, some people say that being gay and lesbian is a totally narcissistic thing and sometimes I wonder. I've never heard any of them say anything except for 'Accept me 'cause I'm gay.' It's just, it's screwed. It's no different than the evangelicals, it's the same mindset. They want you to accept Jesus and you guys want us to all believe it's ok to be gay."

What a blanket statement! Yes, there are many self-centered homos, but it's completely unfair to lump us all together into one big, bad, self-centered, narcissistic rainbow pool. Saying gays only focus on homosexuality is like saying veterinarians only focus on animals. Of course we have other interests!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest I do too. I am a proud gay man but I would rather focus on more pressing matters then the gay agenda. Poverty, healthcare and unemployment are just a few.

So many gay people vote for politicians solely based on what they get out of it.

"I won't vote fo them because they don't believe that we should be husband and husband."

"But they are pro-healthcare reform and they have a plan to wipe out poverty. They look at the bigger picture!"

"I don't care. If they don't taste the rainbow I am not supporting them."

I tell a lot of my friends to stop being so egocentric. That not everyone will be for their lifestyle and to just accept it and move on. I tell them I do not support liberal Hillary Clinton.

Their response?

"You are a traitor to the gay community."

• Members

I'm surprised to hear that from Roseanne. One can say that about any group - pro/anti-choice, pro/anit-gay rights, etc. Personally, I know very few "single issue" voters, and the ones I do know aren't the "gays."

• Members

I agree, Alky Angel. And just gay men/women in general anymore really annoy me anymore. It's like "Hi. I'm Sam. And I'm a proud gay man. And gay this and gay that." It's sad when people don't have an identity other than their sexual orientation. And this comes from the same people who use the "I am more than my sexual orientation." angle when talking to homophobic people about how they shouldn't prejudge the G&L community. I don't know. I have a few gay friends. Obviously, I think of myself as a part of that LGBT community, as well, but for the most part, the LGBT community really annoys me!! I don't feel like I fit in with them at all!

• Members

I tend to agree with you.

For starters, I'm not a flamer. Far from it, actually. That immediately shuts me out.

I'm not the least bit interested in going to gay clubs or gay bars -- I'd rather just go to straight bars, because at least that way, everyone's not so goddamn pretentious, unapproachable or walking on eggshells to one another. In gay bars/clubs, everyone's far too worried about what everyone's thinking about them to have fun, and it's like middle school all over again. Gay men can be incredibly childish.

That said, I'm proud of my sexuality. And as I said in my original post, there are many selfish homos out there, but I do believe that Roseanne's statement was a huge generalization. In alot of respects, she's completely right, but what she said certainly doesn't apply to everyone, because I certainly don't feel like I fit into the group she described. Naturally, being gay, I'm going to be interested in issues surrounding the gay community, but that's not the only interest I champion for.

• Members

It's sad but true! Being a gay man I am of course up to date on the gay rights issue in the country but I am also up to speed and date on the other issues that concern the world:

Social Security

Minimum Wage

And others... of course, it upsets me that she thinks all gay people are like that.

• Members

from her blog at http://www.roseanneworld.com/blog/index.php

My Bad.....

I deeply regret that I have offended gay people. I said things that I do not really mean, before I had thought them through... I was wrong and I seriously apologize!

Call me up today and let me have it! I will apologize and try to make clear what I really meant to say... which was that everybody needs to unite right now, and step outside of their own neighborhoods, groups, races and classes to stop Bush's war on our country and our people. I love gays and I hate division. I am just a big idiot with a big mouth sometimes. I will learn to be more careful! Please forgive me, I am so sorry!!!!

Call (909) 888 - 5222 between 5 - 6 pacific time to give me your two cents.

Click here for more information about the show

Posted at 3:22 PM

----

What I Meant To Say:

The leaders of gay groups need to align with the leaders of Acorn, and other groups of poor and desperate Americans and fight against those who oppress all of us!

I have met too many gays who are Republicans, and I cannot understand how they could choose that!

Let's all leave our own bedrooms, kitchens, neighborhoods and groups and meet each other to form a diverse army that stands for Democracy and Economic Justice!!!!

(Again I apologize for any pain or hurt I have caused those whom I have always loved and befriended).

Posted at 4:03 PM

• Members

I'm sorry but the apology isn't anything more than "I'm a celebrity who is no longer relevant"

She spent her whole careeer centered on women's issues, housewife issues basically, and I've always applauded her for that. But who does she expect to stand up for gay rights? Clearly she doesn't anymore, if she ever did. We're what? 10% of the population? at the very most? If we don't stand up for your rights who will? If we can't be bothered why should our straight friends?

What she doesn't say is that many gay & lesbian people are minimum wage earners, the working poor, and as they fight for workers' rights, they fight for gay rights as well, because no one else will. She seems to have forgotten that one can be fired for even being gay; that the two are tied together.

I love her but she should never have said it. Not sure if I can forgive her.

And shame on any of you for agreeng with her. At least she had the grace to apologize.

Archived