Hey, Roseanne? Kiss my ass!

KLN

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That used to be my problem with Ellen a few years ago. Her whole identity was wrapped up in being a lesbian; every word out of her mouth was that she was a lesbian. I'm glad she has moved on from the repeated disclosure.

I'm a heterosexual, but I don't feel a constant need to tell the world.

• Members

Except you just told us now and honestly you didn't have to. It's a given unless you say otherwise. When it comes to celebrities, they broadcast, loud and clear, their heterosexuality every time a spouse of the opposite sex is mentioned. If anything, heterosexuality is rammed down our throats. FDor the small percentage of us who are gay and lesbian, what does it say? It says lie and try to be straight.

I'm really sick of straight people making comments like yours. I don't blame you for it, you are the majority, I'd probably be the same way. You don't have to broadcast your sexuality at all, ever, it's a given. Our whole society is heterosexual. You might feel a litle differently if it took an act of congress to allow you to decide the fate of your sick spouse. But YOU don't have to worry about that.

Try a little fairness. Who does it hurt?

• Members

I have to worry about many issues that are separate from my sexual identity that I choose not to broadcast. It's a given that ________ and _____________ are accepted as the norm. What makes you assume that I fall into such a categorization simply because I don't pledge allegiance to the rainbow alliance? You don't have a clue. Not one. I could easily fall into many statistics where Congress has the potential to restrict what I can do. I'm black and a woman- two vulnerable categories. So being gay is not the only oppressed minority that is discrimated against in need of kleenex tissues. I'm really sick of the insistence that only gays are picked on. One's sexuality can be hidden, but I can't change my skin. It's more than just a given; it's who I am, but many still use my appearance as an instrument to hold me back. The fact that I have a grasp on standard English somehow makes me articluate and my cadence is so sophisticated; a backhanded compliment meant to insinuate that I should be beholden to my native Ebonics which is ridiculous. But if we're using your logics, since whites are the majority, should I go around feeling sorry for myself?

As for the reference about Ellen, I stand by my assertions. I didn't need to hear all the time she was a lesbian when it was an accepted fact. There are many gay and straight couples who function as one but do not feel the need to proclaim their sexual preference. It is not an instance of living a lie or a form of prejudice, but discretion. Ellen & Portia are togerher--I'm assuming they're having sex. Brangelina are together; I'm assuming they're having sex too. I don't need a constant barrage of affirmations of their status. Nor do I feel the need to embed my sexual activities for consumption. Why the need? Who does it enlighten? There's a vast difference between staying in the closet and blatant advertsing of one's sexuality. I'm not an advocate of such exploitation.

Furthermore, life is not a faity tale for straights either. We have our share of struggles and quite frankly, at times, homosexuality is shoved down our throats. It's as if, "How dare anyone deny us the right to love freely?" and those who disagree with the lifestyle are branded bigots. How is that fair? I'm liberal minded and have no objections to those who are gay, but there are many good people who feel differently. They should not be painted under an unflattering blush.

• Members

You're absoluitely right, and when they're finished conming after the gays and lesbians like me (I am also a racial minoity) they will come after you. Ask Don Imus. That's how hate works. What I don't understand is your problem with proclaiming a sexual preference. You don't have to do it. It's there. It's a given. I have to do it every time I turn a nice straight man down for a date. I understand that as a racial minority this is YOUR first concern, please allow me my first concern as a lesbian. At least as a racial minority, but heterosexual, you went home to people of your own race (maybe you didn't but most do) Gay people don't have that convenience. We grow up in hetersoexual homes regardless of our race.

Stand by your assertions alll you want. I still believe you are wrong, or at least unfair. Homosexuality is never shoved down anyone's throats, not unless you are a bigot who has a problem with it. It isn't a lifestyle, it's how God made me. There is no choice involved. and who does it hurt? Answer me that? How does it hurt anyone?

Is it hurting you because it challenges your bigotry?

Too effin bad then.

Do you realize that the Supreme Court of the USA went against public opinion in grantng equal rights to non-caucasians?

• Members

The thread has no reason to be closed. I have no isuue at all posting my opinions which I won't reverse. I haven't insulted anyone, but merely entered my thoughts into the dialogue. For those that have a problem, they can post contrary but my stance is not changing.

I don't subscribe to the belief that only gays are picked upon and the rest of us have a full paid membership to the Aryan coalition with abosultely no worries. I know I'm not a bigot. I simply understand Roseanne's sentiments; there should be more to a person that declaring your sexuality every five seconds and believing your cause is the only valid one. We all have our issues and its a very erroneous assumption to insinuate that just because you're not gay, life is so. It doesn't work that way. Homosexuals are not the only ones being denied certain liberties and are at the mercy of the federal government. Those rights of oppression are not exlcusive to the GLT community alone.

• Members

I''m not a bigot. If you choose to believe so, that's your perrogative.

I'm as liberal as the next, but homosexuality is shoved down the collective throats in the same vein heterosexuality is. We are living in a sex obsessed culture where all aspects are continually exploited.

As for "them" coming after me, the genesis of such a hunt occured over 400 years ago and it was called slavery. The ramifications of that bondage still exists and takes many forms to this day. Don Imus' comments were merely the latest example in an oppressed history that includes Jim Crow laws, segregation, 3/5 mandates and the like. Unless I'm living in a utopia that is forgeign to this malignant breed of contempt for my race, I don't grasp how I'm so much better off than you. We're all in the same boat, wading in the water.

Moreover, when did I cast the dye that you were anyone but who God intended you to be? I stated my positions; you're free to challenge my assertions, but address the malevoences I have put forth and not other inflammatory remarks I have not even authored.

• Members

Amen to that, do straight people have a symbol they can put on the bumper of their cars? I literally cringe when I see a rainbow sticker on someone's vehicle. And this is coming from someone who goes both ways.

Archived