Y&R Casting Rumor(new Dru?)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVE Amelia Marshall. I miss her as Gilly on GL.

But DRU she is not.

I'd love to see her match up with Kristoff St. John, and if VR ever came back, AM would be a GREAT sparring partner. But replacing VR would be like replacing Tony Geary as Luke, Kim Zimmer as Reva, Liz Hubbard as Lucinda, or Michael E. Knight as Tad. These actors add so much to their characters that they should get a co-writing credit, literally.

• Members

It's a shame all these talented Blacktresses have to be considered for a recast.

Vicky's irreplaceable.

However, if Y&R's TPTB absolutely must introduce more new characters then they should focus on creatin totally new characters for Amelia and/or Renee that are worthy of those two Blacktresses considerable talents IMO.

• Members

Amelia Marshall's NOT on PASSIONS any longer. As far as I know, she's not found a regular gig since PASSIONS. I think Renée Jones or Dominique Jennings would be a better recast though. I havent' watched Y&R in years, but loved Victoria Rowell the short time I did watch it and also liked her on DIAGNOSIS MURDER.

• Members

I don't think Victoria Rowell is as irreplacible as this thread is making her out to be. Drusilla is basically a stereotypical over the top black woman. You could bring in Monique, write an excuse for the weight issue, and you'd have a perfect Dru. Or even Debra Wilson. She's be able to play the requirements of Dru easily.

• Members

I still think that Victoria Rowell CANNOT be recast, but I'd be willing to accept Amelia over Renee Jones. I can see her doing a good job as Dru while Rowell is away, but I don't want them to close the door to Rowell. They need to just wait!

And Rowell got lots of flack for her racially charged exit interview, but she's right. With her exit Renee Goldsberry, WHO MIGHT BE FRICKING LEAVING, is the only lead black actress on soaps! All of the work for diversity in the 90s has been wiped away. They don't need to be recasting Dru, they need to be boosting this strong, popular black family! I'd also like to see more Asian people (a family for Ji Min) and maybe a Bollywood princess ala Amber on Footballers Wives.

Soaps in general need to be ashamed of herself and I'm so proud of all the work Rowell has done to try and maintain the minority presence on soaps.

• Members

Racially charged exit interview?! I need to read the thread...

Amelia Marshall is a talented actress, but I can't see her playing Dru. I could see her playing someone fierce, but not Dru.

And ditto to missing Gilly on GL. As much as people hate on GL during that period, I loved it. So many talented actors and actresses.

• Members

Amelia Marshall is very good but won't be as Dru. If they want to bring her on, that is great. I am not sure Rowell is irreplaceable but she is hard to replace.

Oh, and Marshall is no longer at Passions and hasn't been since early 2006. She dropped out of sight and was never mentioned again, which was a bad move on Passions part. Nonetheless, she is available and I am surprised we haven't see her somewhere.

• Members

Yes, because that's the totality of Dru's character, Loud Black Woman. Do you even watch the show? Honestly.

Dru is more than a stereotype (if that's all you see it says more about you than anything Victoria Rowell has done), she's a wife, mother, artist, humanitarian, sister, friend, she's upfront and honest and will fight like hell for all that she's made for herself.

I am not blind, I know Dru ventures into stereotype but to say that's all she is diminishes the great work VR, Bill Bell and John Smith put into the character.

Archived