The Cocktail Lounge

Scotty

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, so, I'm assuming that something happened in "Random Thoughts" that shouldn't be spoken of, so I won't bother to ask... just know that my curiousity is highly piqued.

I got sent home from work early tonight -- not enough work to keep me there. No complaints out of me! Now I just have to find something to do to keep my ass awake for the rest of the night. Hmm, what to do, what to do?

• Members

My curiousity is highly piqued too, I wanna know what happened that made RT go poofers....

I knew I shouldn't have taken that nap damnit, when I logged back on the thread was gone; and there was no mention of why is was gone at all......

• Members

I know that NaVell posted his 'goodbye' and announced that he was leaving SON staff. Then I went to bed for the day... woke up and the thread was locked. Not deleted yet, just locked with an announcement from Errol stating that "Random Thoughts are no longer allowed" or some other equally ambiguous/loosely-defined statement. Then I went to work, got home early and find this thread -- virtually the same type of thread as RT, just with a different title name -- while the original Random Thoughts thread has vanished, nowhere to be seen.

I'm assuming that it's probably because of people voicing their concerns and distaste for recent changes at SON. In my opinion, the way to fix that is by fixing it -- not just brushing it under the rug and pretending that the concerns don't exist. That'll only serve to push people further away and widen the gap. I'm finding a big disconnection between a few staffers and some of the members. Certain people should be more involved with the members and the board than they are, if for no other reason than to gauge the climate of the forum and understand just what the issue is in the first place. You can't manage a successful forum that you're not personally involved with enough. Easier said than done, I know. But I think a few people are just missing the boat on the issue at hand, entirely, and I'm just thinking, "Wow, over your head entirely." And yet at the same time, they're not here and involved enough to really listen to the issues and understand, nor do they seem very interested in doing so. Blissful ignorance, if you will, and there's a strong disconnect because of that. It makes me just want to stand up in the middle of the room and scream, "PAY ATTENTION BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!"

Discussion of these issues should be encouraged, not discouraged -- it makes for a better, poster-friendly forum where everyone finds a happy medium. Why just sweep it under the rug and pretend the problem doesn't exist? There's an obvious elephant in the room. As long as things can stay sensible and everyone can keep themselves from personal attacks, everything should be fine. The posters on this message board have always been what made it successful from day one, and I have faith in all of us enough that we can find a happy 'government' for all (minus the new iron fist of the SON TBTB), without being treated as children or treating one another as fools.

• Members

Kenny, it all happened just as you said. Nobody ever re-opened Random Thoughts II (so it was still a closed topic when it was deleted). I have no clue why it was deleted though, either.

And as far as SteveFrame's farewell thread, I thought that was kind of rude how it got deleted. IMO, we as members were disrespectful into making it into the Whats Wrong with SON thread, but I also feel it was disrespectful for its deletion, since the thread was started by a longtime, well-respected and adored SON member posting his goodbyes.

I know it was getting tense, but a moderator posted a warning that if it all didn't hush down, the thread would be closed. After that, everything started going back to normal and poof! It was deleted, as well.

EDIT: Just saw that Andre's farewell post was deleted, also.

• Members

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

*Twilight Zone theme starts to play*

• Members

I wanted to slap my grandma today. Seriously.

Tonight, in my car, she told me that I shouldn't have anal sex because 'the last thing I need is hemmorhoids.'

Say what? What the hell do hemmorhoids have to do with anything? Me thinks some idiot has been filling her head with ideas and notions and she's clueless and gullible enough to buy into it.

What I do in the bedroom is none of her business. I love my grandma to death, but sometimes she really just comes out and says something that's completely rude and ignorant when she should keep her mouth shut. It's almost as if she's going to burst wide open if she can't just say what's on her mind, no matter how out of line it is.

About five minutes after that, she told me how there's a lady she knows who goes to church with a man who used to be gay and then he 'tried sex with a woman and now he's straight and married and happy,' implying to me that maybe I should try the same thing and have a positive outcome. Does she not get that I am happy being gay, just like she's happy being straight?

By this time, I was thoroughly annoyed and told her, "Granny, do you have to screw a woman to know that you're not a lesbian? No. Well, neither do I. End of story."

It's funny to me how she forgets everyday things so easily, but these little comments she makes seem so perfectly scripted that I know they've been on her mind for a while. She might say that she accepts me for who I am, but I know better. She thinks I'm a freak and wants me to be perpetually single for the rest of my life. She's one of those 'I don't mind that you're gay as long as you don't have sex' types of people. She's like Sophia Petrillo (Golden Girls, anyone?) on crack. Only more sly. She'll say whatever is on her mind, but she tries to mask it so that people don't see just how blunt she's trying to be. She's not fooling anyone! And I'm not the only one in the family she does this to... it's just a commonly accepted thing that granny has a big mouth and is going to use it anytime her nose gets to itching.

When the hell will people realize that what goes on in the bedroom of others is NONE of their business? None!

• Members

Good news is, that you get a very similar speech when you're striaght. LOL Only I'm not supposed to have sex because I might get pregnant, and that's a no no before marriage, while at the same time they work in the, "when are you going to get married, I want grandchildren before I die" lecture. They're all insane.

I don't care what goes on in the bedroom, unless its mine, or the guy who was my most resent...friend. ;) Or the bathroom at Disneyland, the stall in the bar, the backseat of anyone car, etc. I'm all for getting it when you can and where you can, with whoever the hell you want. Male, female, transgender...if it makes you happy, then all is as it should be.

• Members

I love your posts more and more everyday, Kylie.

I know that my family is secretly disappointed that they'll never get any grandchildren out of me. Before I came out, I always heard about how they couldn't wait for me to 'produce a grandchild.' I suppose that's natural... I don't fault them for it at all. But it's still something that lays in the back of your mind and might cause you to make a stupid choice just because you think it might lead to somehow pleasing your parents (like settling for less than what you want just because 'time is running out' in the eyes of your parents).

You and me should go parade around the world together, carrying big signs that say "SLUT PRIDE!" and "I'M PREGNANT AND UNMARRIED... WILL YOU BE MY BABY DADDY?"

Archived