MEGA WoST Update!

• Members

WoST has been update and it's a grand and glorious one full of openings I never thought would ever see the light of day!

First of all is the opening and closing for the 1969-1972 NBC soap 'Bright Promise'.

Next is the original, short-lived version of the 'Love is a Many Splendored Thing' opening with slightly different visuals and an *orchestral* theme as opposed to the later organ theme.

Next is the opening of the short-lived NBC soap from 1978 'For Richer, For Poorer'.

Finally, the real and true treasure, the FINAL opening of 'Love of Life' along with the full closing from the very last episode of the series!

Other additions to the archive include the opening and closing of the 1965 ATWT prime-time spin-off 'Our Private World' taken from the episode that was recent featured as a Bonus episode (and is still available on the site), high quality versions of the 1978 openings of 'As the World Turns', 'Search for Tomorrow', and 'The Young & the Restless', and a re-encoded version of the opening (as well as the closing) from 1976's Australian soap 'The Young Doctors'.

Bonus episodes featured this update include 1983 'Another World', 1967 'Love is a Many Splendored Thing' (focusing heavily on Leslie Charleson's character Iris), 1994 'One Life to Live', and 1976 'The Young Doctors'.

Keep in mind that site membership is required to view all video and audio because of the large amount of bandwidth and the high financial cost of maintaining such a multimedia focused site. I'm a paying member of the site ($15 for a FULL YEAR) and with raretys and treasures such as these, it's worth every penny and at even twice the price.

The World of Soap Themes

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not a lot, but IMO, you shouldn't have to pay just to see the archives and such. The bonus vids I could understand, but I think having to pay just to view the openings/closings, forums and such is a little ridiculous. JMO.

• Members

I am a paying member of WoST and today's update is one of the best.

WoST is A LOT MORE then openings and closings and a few vids.

The ATWT 50th Anniversary section is amazing! Videos that go back to 1960. Interviews with Don Hastings. A tribute to Helen Wagner. A much better and classier tribute to ATWT then P&G and CBS did.

It is amazing how people who have absolutely no clue what they are talking about like to jump on WoST!!!!!!!!

• Members

I'm considering getting another membership at WOST. People will pay for things that they like. I like soaps, therefore I'll pay to watch some things associated with it.

Don't jump on Hogan (not saying that you did....but I'm just saying) for stating his opinion. He is going by what he believed WOST to be.

• Members

Great update. I love opening and closing themes so they're almost as valuable to me as some of the old show clips.

I consider WoST to be a soap museum which is well worth my time and money. I also pay (much more) to be a member of the Museum of TV and Radio to see a lot of classic shows that aren't available anywhere else. I'm glad there are places around that try to preserve history. It's fun to spend a day at the MTR watching old stuff.

I hadn't seen this particular AW episode before and loved it!

• Members

I do think people perhaps have a distorted view of where the nominal fee goes and that's the problem. If the hardware, software and tremendous web space/bandwith were free and Brian was simply pocketing the money then I'd be outraged. But for me, it acts as a co-operative. The fee is running costs. Brian's not a corporation so he can't fund it from his own pocket, people want to see these things so they all chip in for the running costs. There's no big conspiracy.

Anyways, I've enjoyed the last few updates tremendously. Plenty of enjoyable stuff with a wide variety. The Young Doctors really took me back to my childhood and it's funny that Cornelia Frances who plays !@#$%^&*]y Nurse Scott is currently playing !@#$%^&*]y Morag Bellingham on Home and Away.

Very much looking forward to what's in store for B&B's 20th anniversary.

• Members

That is a great update! Too bad I'm not a member yet...

$15 a year is not much at all, but I'm at an age where I have shitloads of other things to pay for all the time, so paying for membership to any website wouldn't be good for me right now. I plan on joining soon, though. I just wish that the archive of audio and video openings and closings wasn't pay-only. For a while, it wasn't; just the message boards, "for fun" section, and bonus episodes were.

• Members

I'm a member, and I think they do a great service with their videos, but their message board is really nowhere near as good as it could be -- our message board here is far and away the best board. I think they should allow anyone to read and post on their message board, which would improve the quality of that immensely, and then charge for the videos.

• Members

Oops, I posted twice by accident!

I guess I will take this second post to expand a bit and say that there are some things about that message board that are good, such as certain very knowledgeable and connected people who don't post here -- but mostly that message board is not diverse enough in terms of viewpoints, and doesn't have enough people.

Archived