The State of DOOL

• Members

IT SUUUUUUCKSS...UNDER SHEFFER.

I was no fan of Reilly's this time around, and I really held out promise for Sheffer and, further, I was impressed with the day to day writing this summer under interim head, Milstein. But since Sheffer took over, the show blows the big wad. Yes, I know he has a lot to contend with what with the budget cuts and all. But he made a fatal mistake in making EJ so black and white. Here is a sexy, talented performer who lights up the screen and for the first time, his presence made Sami interesting. I think Allison Sweeney has the potential to be the next Marlena; she could carry the show. And her chemistry with James Scott was fierce. But this crap Sheffer is putting out is just inexcusable. John in a coma, tarot cards, mind control. Been there, done that with another headwriter who was more talented at it. I'm sorry but Hogan is so out of place at Days. He would have to turn the show into a Knots Landing type of story if he were to succeed, but his take on the show is just awful. I'm sorry fans, but put this show out to pasture. NBC has wanted to be out of soaps for a long time anyway. I don't think this Titantic can be saved.....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry I have to disagree. Yes, I do want to see Bo and Hope and John and Marlena more on Days. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Sheffer said they would be central to the show. Something must have happened. I don't like it and I'm hoping it will change soon. Steve and Kayla are getting airtime; and I love them. That being said, Hogan is doing 30 times better job with the show than JER did. First of all there is not 7 different triangles or quadangles on the show right now. He got most of the supercouples back together and acting like themselves again. He has made Chelsea much more likable. There are actually young couples that you can root for again. People are actually thinking most of the time. I couldn't stand Days with JER writing. I enjoy watching it now. Is it the best it has ever been right now? No, I wouldn't say that at all. I can at least watch now, and feel like I'm watching Days of our Lives again. There is a good mix of couples on the show right now, that are all in different stages of their relationships. With JER, not one couple that should have been together was together.

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes right now. I hate that people are going to blame Sheffer for everything.

• Members

I disagree whole heartedly.

DAYS is at it's best. It's the best this show has been in over 5 years. Hogan has done wonders resolving Reilly's stories and giving the characters a firm grasp of reality. To make the single most hated character on a show (Chelsea), a potential heroine and half of the next big supercouple, that's a huge feat. Hogan has drawn characters into interloping storylines. Characters aren't stationed in their primary storyline, never interacting with other characters unless they're in that storyline.

It is not Hogan's fault the budget is so poor right now. He came at a horrible time in the show's run. Had he been brought on before Reilly returned, we would be seeing a whole different DAYS. John, Marlena, Bo and Hope would be used because the budget was a lot better back then. Hogan is now working with what only he has and he's doing a great job at doing that. He has given Shawn and Belle back that spark that has been missing for years.

EJ Wells is the best thing that has happened under Hogan. When EJ was first brought on, you could tell the writers weren't sure what they wanted to do with him. At moments EJ would be looking suspcious, and then the next moment that suspision was dissolved. Under Hogan, EJ is very evil and we know exactly who he is and what power he has, but yet we still love him. Luckily, James Scott is a charmer and can work EJ the way he's supposed to be played.

• Members

I must say a disagree, too. Most of what I feel has aready been said by others.

But, to add: I love that the pacing of the show has improved. Moreso, there is more character interactions. Theres a wide range of storylines taking place, each with an improved sense of realism. Te one thing I truly despise is when stuff gets unrealistic, and that was so common up until a couple of months ago.

• Members

This is what I mean about diminishing returns. Should we accept something just because it isn't horrible? Why do so many soap fans settle (I'm not saying you are, this is a general statement)? For years I've read so many soap fans praise a show for being just okay or better than it was yesterday. I don't want mediocre or just acceptable. I want great, exceptional, I want something that I'm proud to watch, not just something that's slightly better than sh!t. I've fallen into that trap far too many times for too many years.

• Members

Sometimes I believe that JER is still the headwriter. In fact, these are a lot like his stories. What is different that I love, is the mixing of the characters, the snappy dialog, and the short scenes moving the storylines along. Those are excellent additions, but I don't think Hogan gets credit for that or maybe he does. Maybe all soaps have outrageous storylines.

• Members

Well, then you're in the wrong genre because no soap is "great" or "exceptional" and you are going to be wanting that for a while. Meanwhile, I am going to continuing enjoying my favorite soap opera, because it really is a soap opera again. It's no longer a roll your eyes, sorry excuse for a dramedy.

• Members

Hogan is doing wonders with this show.

And....

I believe they are central to the show. They might not be right now, but overall, they are. I say this because of recent spoilers/speculation that have come to light.

Don't highlight the following text if you don't want to know some spoilers.

Archived