American Idols on the Charts

DaysFanJean

• Members

http://www.foxesonidol.com:80/cgi-bin/ae.p....art&page=1

Idol Chartwatch, January 26: Idol History is Made

by Donna Reynolds -- 01/26/2007

This week, one Idol-related CD tops the chart and another is in second place. This is the first time in Idol history this has occurred and a stunning achievement for the artist in first place. Another Idol saw her CD zoom up the charts as well. Curious? Read on to find out all the details.

View Printable version of this article

For the first time ever, Idol-related CDs are #1 and #2 on the Billboard 200. Daughtry made a stunning ascent to #1 this week, selling an additional 65,000 copies in its ninth week on the charts. Daughtry was also #1 on the Digital Sales chart and the Rock chart. It was #3 on the Internet Album Sales chart

This CD has, as the industry saying goes, “legs.” In other words, Daughtry has expanded beyond the ready-made Idol fanbase and is attracting new buyers based on steady radio airplay of the single, “It’s Not Over,” the video for the single, and various television appearances by the band. Congrats to Chris on a job well done.

The Dreamgirls soundtrack dropped to #2 on the Billboard 200. It remained #1 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart and Top Soundtracks list, and was #6 on the Internet Album Sales chart and #6 on the Digital Album sales chart.

The special collectors’ edition of this album charted at #39 on the Billboard 200, #15 on the Digital Album Sales chart, #4 on the Top Soundtracks chart, #5 on the Internet Album Sales chart, and #28 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart.

Congratulations to Jennifer Hudson on her Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress for Dreamgirls. The film recently premiered in London, and she is getting the same accolades from British audiences for her stellar portrayal of Effie White. It just keeps getting better for Jennifer, who remains gracious and humble, and slightly overwhelmed by all of this.

Jennifer is, of course, the first Idol alum to be nominated for an Oscar, and one of a handful of actors ever to have been nominated for a debut performance. In 1965, Barbra Streisand was nominated and won best actress for her first film, Funny Girl. Other actors who won Oscars for their first films include Julie Andrews (best actress My Fair Lady), Shirley Booth (best actress Come Back Little Sheba), Ben Kingsley (best actor Ghandi), Mercedes McCambridge (best supporting actress All the King’s Men), and Tatum O'Neal (best supporting actress Paper Moon).

Kellie Pickler also had a good week. Small Town Girl shot up to #51 from #83 on the Billboard 200 and was #8 on the Country chart. This increase in sales is certainly due, in part, to her co-hosting gig on The View last week. Kellie performed "I Wonder," the song she wrote expressing her feelings about her estranged mother, live on the show. It is an extremely emotional song, and she nearly didn't get through it, but she did and her performance was stunning. Click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiNjhp3DWs for a video. Warning – have a tissue handy! It's a tearjerker.

Here’s how the rest of the Idol-related albums charted this week:

Carrie Underwood’s Some Hearts is back in the top ten, rising six spots to #9 on the Billboard 200. It was #1 on the Country chart.

Taylor Hicks was up three spots to #50 on the Billboard 200.

Fantasia was #66 on the Billboard 200 and #18 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart. The Happy Feet soundtrack on which Fantasia appears with Patti LaBelle and Yolanda Adams was #94 on the Billboard 200, and #10 on the Soundtrack list.

Ruben’s The Return was #54 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart.

Now That’s What I Call Music #22 (Now 22) featuring Kelly Clarkson’s “Walk Away,” along Nick Lachey’s “What’s Left of Me,” Teddy Geiger’s (from The New Partridge Family) “For You I will (Confidence),” Daniel Powter’s “Bad Day,” and K.T. Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree” was #199 on the Billboard 200, and #8 on the Compilation chart.

Andrea Bocelli’s Under Desert Sky featuring a duet with Katharine McPhee (“Can’t Help Falling in Love”) was #77 on the Billboard 200.

Wow Gospel 2006 featuring George Huff’s “Brighter Day” was #10 on the Gospel listing and #21 on the Compilation list.

The Gospel featuring Tamyra Gray’s “Now Behold the Lamb” was #38 on the Gospel chart.

Body + Soul Gospel featuring Ruben Studdard’s “I Need an Angel” was #34 on the Gospel chart.

Kelly Clarkson’s Breakaway was #26 on the Pop Catalog chart.

This Week’s Idols’ Singles’ Charts

Two new Idol-related singles debuted on the charts this week. Kimberley Locke’s “Change” hit the Adult Contemporary chart at #25. Clay Aiken also hit the A/C chart with his single “A Thousand Days,” which debuted at #29.

Here’s how the rest of the Idol singles did this week:

Chris Daughtry’s “It’s Not Over” rocketed up 15 spots to #6 on the Hot 100 and was this week’s Sales Gainer. It was #25 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, #6 on the Pop 100, #14 on the Pop 100 Airplay chart, #4 on Hot Digital Tracks, #4 on Hot Digital Sales, and #10 on the Adult Top 40 listing..

Bucky Covington’s “A Different World” was up ten spots to #47 on the Country chart.

Carrie’s “Before He Cheats” was #31 on the Hot 100, #41 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, #36 on the Pop 100, #22 on Hot Digital Tracks, #28 on Hot Digital Sales, and #30 on the Adult Top 40. Her latest single, “Wasted,” continues to climb the Country chart where it was #25 this week. It also showed up on the Bubbling Under (Hot 100) chart at #18.

Fantasia’s “Hood Boy” was #23 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles chart, #23 on the R&B Airplay chart, and was #36 on the Adult R&B list. It also reentered the Hot 100 Airplay chart at #73 and was #24 on the Bubbling Under (Hot 100) listing.

Ruben’s single, “Change Me,” was #24 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles, #24 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay Chart, and #3 on the R&B Adult airplay list. It also reentered the Hot 100 Airplay chart at #75.

Jennifer Hudson’s “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” was #73 on the Hot 100, #77 on the Pop 100, # 26 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles chart, #26 on the R&B Airplay chart, and #23 on the R&B Adult airplay list.

Kellie Pickler’s “Red High Heels” was #72 on the Pop 100, #15 on the Country chart, and #72 on the Host Digital Songs listing.

Josh Gracin’s “I Keep Coming Back” was #34 on the Country chart.

Katharine’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” / “My Destiny,” was #5 on the Single Sales chart this week and Taylor’s “Do I Make You Proud” / “Takin’ it to the Streets” was #15.

Upcoming Idol Releases

Look for a new Idol-related album, 2007 Grammy Nominees, which dropped this week. The CD features Carrie Underwood's "Jesus, Take the Wheel," as well as Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" and K.T. Tunstall's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," both of which owe much of their popularity to their association with American Idol.

And next week, finally, Katharine McPhee’s album will be released. Click here to preview the entire album on VH1. Kat will be a guest on Ugly Betty next Thursday (February 1).

That’s it for Chartwatch this week.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived