DAYS- What if Drake and Deidre left?

• Members

So, I bring this up, not because I don't like John and Marlena as characters, but what sort of effect on the show do you think there would be if Deidre and Drake

were let go from the show? Would ratings go down, would people revolt? They have a combined total of almost 45 years on the show, and have had major, successful stories. And certainly, when people think of DAYS, they think of Deidre Hall. But how much money do they make, and are they still as essential to the show, as they were 10 years ago? How much longer can an almost 60ish Deidre Hall be a romantic heroine, and would she be willing to let Marlena become the matriarch of the show? I want the show to succeed, andI wonder if the money spent on their salaries, couldn't be used elsewhere. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But to be fair though, it was widely known I think that it was temporary. My personal opinion? i think it would cause problems on the set, and Deidre's vocal fans would not let it happen without a fight. But ultimately, I don't think that many people watch for John and Marlena anymore. I know lots of new fans who don't like

them. I don't think it's about age, cause everyone loves Frances Reid! :)

• Members

They're not going to leave. Deidre and Drake have both said (recently) that they will stay with the show until it's no longer on the air. Deidre said it on her "Showbiz Tonight" interview and Drake says it all the time. They're not going anywhere unless the show fires them.

And if Days ends in 2009, we can expect all the vets to stick around. There's no way they're going to ditch out on the show's finale. Days is their home... it's like a family there. Maybe some of the younger actors will leave to find greener pastures, but that's no skin off my ass.

• Members

I'm not sure how I'd personally feel about it.

Drake Hogestyn lost his appeal a LONG time ago. The last time he did anything impressive was in those scenes back in '98 (I think) with Kristen holding John and Marlena at gunpoint. Now, I FF through him most of the time. Heavy breathing, weird eye squinting, looks of constipation...those are not qualities that good actors have.

Deidre could be good again. She just needs a boost. She lost her appeal to me last year during the amnesia story. Before then, I considered her one of the best in the show. During the Salem Stalker, I was most impressed with her evil potrayal. And also, her day stint as Hattie was great acting. But that Alex North stuff screwed her up royally. She's gotten better now, but no where near where she was.

• Members

I may be in denial, but I still don't think that DAYS is going to be cancelled in 2009. DAYS and GH are the two shows that seem to be able to improve their ratings,

when the show gets good again for a long period of time. I do think that DAYS needs to plan for the future, and I don't know if Marlena and John need to be a part

of that. Just like Bill and Susan Hayes were written out in the early 80s, maybe it will be the same thing here.

• Members

I think the show would suffer ratings-wise, but it wouldn't be the death of DAYS. Deidre did leave in the 80s and the show continued. Of course, fans were less fickle than they are now.

I doubt they're going anywhere, but if any female character should become the new matriarch, it should not be Marlena, it should be Maggie Horton.

• Members

Even so, Maggie has been a Horton for decades now. She makes the most logical sense. Deidre might be the icon that viewers recognize who DON'T watch the show, but for the viewers who DO watch, Maggie makes the most sense.

Archived