DAYS- What if Drake and Deidre left?

• Members

And that's the wrong direction for the show to be going in. DAYS needs to focus on more than just the Bradys. Hope, Shawn, Abby, Lucas, and Nick are the next generation of Hortons and all should be interacting with each other. It would be nice for Abby to get to know her uncle Lucas. Hope should be talking to Nick about Chelsea. Maggie, Julie, and Doug are still alive and kicking as well. To have Julie, the show's first hellraiser, share scenes with Chelsea, the newest one, would be a treat. Those little things would enhance the show even more.

But since the show has been mostly about the Bradys since the 80s, I don't expect the Hortons to become more of a focus anytime soon. With Frances Reid getting weaker, I fear Christmas of 2007 will take place at Marlena's penthouse, instead of the most logical place, Maggie and Mickey's home.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Days has been killing off the Horton family slowly since the 80's. It's such a disgrace what they've done to the most essential and corest of core families of the show. I'm sorry, but the Bady's just do not compare to the legacy the Horton's have left behind. I

agree with Maggie being the new matriarch of the show. However, it seems her role these days, is nothing more than to prop Abby, Nick, and Shawn. I always hated the way they've criminally underused Suzanne Rogers, I mean there's a reason she's the only one in the current cast with an Emmy, yet she's so underrated by the show's brass. And kill me for say this, she's a thousand times a better actress than Deidre Hall is. I've never liked Marlena and through the years, I've found her more and more annoying.

Days was build on the legacy of the Horton's PERIOD. Marlena as the matriarch just seems so out of place and disrespectful to the history of the show in general. Though, now it seems that Hogan has plans to focus more on the Horton's, which is a good thing imo.

• Members

I guess I consider the show's matriarch or patriarch to be different than the show's biggest star. Maggie should be the matriarch of Days when Alice is gone. Marlena is the show's biggest star, but not the matriarch. To be honest, she drives to much story for that role.

On GH, I have a hard time saying Luke is the patriarch of that town/show. Audrey and Steve Hardy before her hold that role.

On GL- even without being present, I think of Ed Bauer as the patriarch, not Reva. She is iconic, but not the matriarch.

AMC is Joe Martin, not Erica Kane.

• Members

Where are you pulling this "information" from? Your gut? I love reading threads like these, but must we speak in foregone conclusions? "Who's bigger than who?" is such a veritable waste of an argument. The show now has a base so small that the network is chomping at the bit to replace it with something cheaper, something even lower common denominator, and, of course, more profitable to them. How can anyone make the argument, at this juncture, that any one or two actors leaving would have detrimental effects? The effects don't get much more detrimental than they already are! Any more detrimental, and the show would perform the miracle of garnering negative ratings! There IS no fanbase left to erode.

As for D&D, see what happens when you saddle actors together for years on end? They become an unfairly packaged deal. To answer the question at hand, a whole lot of nothing.

• Members

Drake and Deidre are loved by the audience but they're not all that! The show did well even when they weren't around. Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans were far more popular than Drake and Deidre in the late 80's and the show moved on just fine without them too for 16 years.

• Members

Deidre has said several times that she wants to stay as long as they'll have her. Days is her family. And obviously, they just signed her with a brand new shiny contract, so I doubt it.

Marlena's a part of both families. Maybe not by blood or marriage, but Alice considers Marlena family and Caroline too. She's vital to everyone in town, she has a connection to everyone.

Archived