DAYS- What if Drake and Deidre left?

• Members

I love Marlena, don't care too much for John. I would though find it very hard to believe that another soap would hire them. Not because of their appeal, but their salaries are sky high. I just don't see it happening. DH has stopped doing Lifetime movies (that I know of). She is not the hot commodity she once was. I think that their careers will end with DOOL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree completely. Maggie is right up there with Alice as the heart of the show (besides Julie and Doug, who are criminally underused.) They're already using her as an advice beacon now that Frances is so frail that she can't do much work anymore, so I see that as a way of transforming her into a matriarch in training.

• Members

I think there would be a significant number of angry fans. And more available money.

I think their fans will make their opinion known but I am not sure about the overall ratings showing a huge effect. I'm generally of the opinion that any given fanbase doesn't cause a show to tank or boom (that honor belongs to the writing).

If the writing sucks enough then I think the only people watching are the fanbases, so that's when their support counts the most, proportionally speaking. Just an unfounded opinion.

(Maggie and/or Julie really need to be around to anchor the Hortons.)

• Members

I've thought about this a couple of times. I don't think it's going to happen. I can't see either actor leaving the show unless they chose to leave. John and Marlena, especially Marlena and Deidre Hall, are such an established part of the DAYS community. But if some out of this world event occurred and Drake and Dee left the show, I think the show would continue, but it would have a sense of loss. This same thing happened this past summer. Fans knew that Drake and Dee were leaving in the summer for a "vacation," but would return at the end of summer. Throughout the summer, even with the return of Steve and Kayla, the show was at loss of that special something. That's how I believe it would be if the two left permanently. Their fans may choose to leave, but the show would continue on, but would be missing something.

As for Hogan's desire to make Marlena the matriarch of the show, I see nothing wrong with that. In essence, she is the center core of Salem, outside of Alice Horton. Sure, Maggie married a Horton, and after Alice (and Frances Reid) passes, she will be the matriarch of the Horton family, but Maggie is nothing compared to Marlena Evans. Marlena practically is Salem.

• Members

I personally wouldn't care much in the long run, and I would still watch. And I know I am not alone, but I do think it would impact the ratings, slightly. Even if it isn't a straight out decline, it will probably keep them from going up during times they normally would.

Also, I agree that BOPE are more vital because, IMO, they span more generations.

• Members

I agree about Bo and Hope; in an ideal world. Peter, Kristian, Mary Beth, and Stephen would anchor the show, along with the return of Matt Ashford and Melissa Reeves as Jack and Jennifer. My opinion has sort of changed though with this; before, I thought the show could do without Drake and Deidre. Now, I think Marlena's loss woulf be felt, but Drake, not so much. Years ago, he was a very handsome man who wasn't a very good actor. Now, although still attractive, he has aged, and is an even worse actor. I just don't know if he is worth his hefty salary anymore.

• Members

The show could and probably would survive....but ratings would fall, very majorly IMO. Even though I love Drake and Deidre, Deidre would be the majority.

Years ago, and Roman and I were speculating this the other day, in 1982, we were discussing how sudden it was that Sam just died out of no where. We felt that all of Deidre's fans petitioned that Marlena not be killed off by the Strangler so they took the easy way out by killing Sam.

Now, some of those fans might be gone, but if they did try to fire them there would be a big uproar IMO.

Howeer, as much as it angers me to say this, Bope is bigger than them though.

• Members

I guess I was thinking in terms of the couple. I agree that Marlena's/Deidre's history on the show cannot be underestimated, but I wonder how big a proportion of Days' viewers are aware of that history to begin with. Surely some of course, and if any one person would affect the ratings, she'd be a reasonable guess.

• Members

Doubtful. Deidre is much more a crutch to this show than Kristian. Dee would be able to survive without Drake. Kristian wouldn't be able to without Peter. BOPE may be bigger than John and Marlena, but neither Bo or Hope, as individuals, are bigger than Marlena. Sorry, BOPE fans.

Archived