Y&R: Why I think the show is great right now

• Members

Ok, so we have had lots of threads dealing with everyone hating Y&R which is ok, that is there right to hate the show, well I personally am loving Y&R right now, and I think it is better than it has been in years. In the past we saw storylines that would take 3 years to tell, and the endings normally always sucked for all the time that was wasted on them. There were also some of the worst storylines ever in the last few years, but I really won't go into that. Anyway Today's Y&R moves fast and has interesting storylines and the storylines involve the whole cast instead of just a few people like in the past. I think it is great that Y&R is going back into its history, back when the show was great, for instance I am loving the new Kay/Jill storyline, it is a fun storyline and lots of history is being used in it, something I love. It is bringing back alot of the old revelry of Kay and Jill, something that was destroyed during the last two writers of the show Alden and Smith when they made Kay/Jill Mother and Daughter. Also I am enjoying the new Sheila storyline again using the shows history, and I can not wait to see how this storyline will play out. Another storyline that I am now getting more interested in is the Brad storyline(I normally don't like that storyline) it has become very interesting with the new twist of Victor being added into the mix, so I think this storyline will keep getting better. Also the Carmen Mesta murder storyline seems to be on the right track now and getting very interesting.

Another thing that I love about Y&R these days is that I feel like watching the show, in the past few years I could miss a month and not really care because nothing storyline wise ever moved and it was beyond boring everyday, Today I feel if I miss a show I might miss something, not to mention the storylines are at least interesting these days, Instead of the non stop boring Romance storylines of the past.

Also will add that at least all the characters seem alive these days in the past they seemed like the actors were bored even playing the parts. these days the characters are full of life. A few examples would be Dru and Paul, these characters have there personalities back with LML something that was lost during the Alden Smith years. Paul was boring as hell for years and so was Dru, and that was the writing. Dru's character now is the way Dru is supposed to be Fun outgoing over the top and so forth. And Paul well Christine made him boring for years and until recently he stayed that way.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree! Y&R has some problems, but overall I still think it's the best soap on air. I think people are extremely harsh when it comes to Latham and other soaps slide by on much worse quality with fans. Hell, you couldn't even say a bad thing about JER's DAYS without being a hater who was picking on DAYS fans. Of course until Hogan arrived, then it was okay to say DAYS is crap.

Y&R's ratings are up, I think the quality has been consistantly good the past couple months and I'm glued to my set 5 days a week!

• Members

I totally diagree with your point of "not wanting to miss a minute".

Sure, Y&R's story moved slowly but has the urge to remain in touch gotten any bigger with the super-fast pacing?

Not at all because nothing is driven by characters anymore. They change their opoinions every day and you only need to stay up-to-date with the latest plot-point-developments. Unfortunately, you don't have to watch it and could equally read recaps and miss nothing.

As you say, I resepect your opinion and stayed free of judging any particular storyline although there is loads to say...

• Members

I don't post over here very often because I think Y&R is the best it's been in years. And you're absolutely right in that the pacing of the show has a lot to do with it from my standpoint. I don't have the patience to watch a couple struggle to get together for 3 years or more (HELLO, Dena Higley and Jolie!). I'm not saying it has to be a couple of months either. I understand angst, I understand telling a story....but you don't have to take years to tell it!! I love the faster pace of the storylines on Y&R.

And I also agree about certain characters coming to life. For me it was Nicholas. I can't believe how much more mature and sexy he is paired with Phyllis. I know they get alot of flack at this board, and I get that people think Sharon is the queen of the earth, but Nick was like window dressing when he was paired with her. And now, he's standing up to his father and Brad and Victoria...he's got his manhood back!! I love the new and improved Nick Newman! LOL....

• Members

Y&R, even though it has its faults, is reall good right now. IMO not the best on air, but it's one of the best. What I'm about to say I pretty much said in my sig, but I'll say it again. I have heard people say LML is the feminine version of JER. I completely disagree. JER is a thousand times worse than LML could ever be. LML has put an African American family in the front and center off a story with half the cast involved, and majority of them are whites. That is awesome. We don't ever see stuff like that. I don't really care for the Carmen murder, but I do really enjoy that for once an African American family leads the story. I know many, including myself, are not happy about Kimberling not coming back as Sheila. I understand where you are coming from completely, and even though Michelle can never play Sheila like Kimberling could, Michelle is ROCKING this story. She is doing so great, and even though I would take Kimberlin over her I have to admit that Michelle is doing awesome.. And I don't think Sheila will be around for long anyway. Also, Michelle is better than some no-talent actress playing Sheila right? Getting rid of Ashley was sad but it was a step in the right direction, because she hardly airs so it's better than knowing not where she is.

Y&R is great right now, and is much more watchable than shows like AMC, OLTL, GH, and ATWT.

• Members

As much as I try to hate Y&R for what they did to Kimberlin, I can't. I am a HUGE Sheila and Kimberlin Brown fan, and I'm so angry at what the show did with the story, but I can't deny that Y&R has gotten so good in these passed few months. The Carmen story started off great, then the middle kind of got boring, but now it's back in full force and I'm really liking Drucilla in all of it. I don't much care for the Brad story, but I have to give props to LML for being original.

I also enjoy the variety that they choose to have. Many shows seem to end with the same people everyday (GH: Sonny, Carly, Jason, Sam) (OLTL: Todd, Spencer, John, Cris). Y&R, even though they may feature many of the same characters everyday, have a totally new front and center almost everyday. (does that make sense? lol). Right now, my favorite is GH, but Y&R is definately my second.

• Members

Ummm, sorry, but the last great team before Latham was Bill Bell, Sr and his staff. Kay Alden's tenure started off good but then she wrote that awful Jill/Katherine storyline, ruining them to this day. She also was responsible for the Victor sperm storyline, though I rather liked that. Jack Smith was even worse. The show was a total snooze under him- Hell, even SHEILA (KIMBERLIN!) couldn't save his lackluster writing.

Latham came on and got the show moving again, and spread storyline around the cast, including characters like Victor, Nikki, Jill, and Katherine, all vets who were all but ignored by Jack Smith's pen. Yes, last summer, the show slowed down and got boring (Reli-ZZZZZ) but things seem to be picking up again, especially now that Kay & Jill are frontburner. Some of us have been waiting patiently since 2002 for Jess Walton to get a storyline and FINALLY, we're getting one.

Y&R may not be perfect and there are days where I long for the Y&R of old- the Bill Bell years. But I have YET to wish for the Kay Alden/Jack Smith years to return. Some of us remember just how sloppy they were. You want to talk about re-writing history? Go re-watch Kay Alden's Jill is Kay's Daughter storyline and get back to me.

Archived