Ambitious soap opera parody

JER Soaps Fan

• Members

So I'm surfing the net for soap opera parodies, when I find this ambitious (high quality, well acted and written) parody, a student's project, on YouTube.

It's like a lower class "Dynasty." Literally. Krystle, Alexis...you get the idea.

They also use background music from daytime soaps! I was so excited. But it may test SON's self-proclaimed soap expert's ears and soap knowledge. I thought I knew where one piece of music came from, and after the credits rolled (that's where the answers are), I was SHOCKED.

The following link is to part one. Part two can be found on the same page in the links section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgvU0sdizY...ted&search=

Also, PLEASE let's make this into a thread where we post good soap parodies or YouTube serious soap operas. I'm dying to see what amateurs come up with.

Some, like this one, REALLY are good!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is this SOAPnet Contest Material?

ETA: I don't have audio on the computer I'm using, so I can't hear what is going on, but I can't wait to see it.

I have seen other college "soaps" on YouTube and a lot of them have got it ALL WRONG, IMO. Two examples are Harvard's "IVORY TOWERS" and Columbia's embarassing take on primetime college soap, "THE GATES"

These projects aren't completely effortless...but the assumption with these two aformentioned projects is that they need to sell these as soaps with gratuitious sex, profanity, etc. for them to pass as soaps. Like in GATES, the writer totally misses the point by trying to sell story points with stupid sex plots(like a lesbian makeout session, an obvious romping session, etc.). The cinematography(for a soap project) was decent(minus the boom mic's appearance), but everything else failed on all levels. Even with the titillating sex, the story fell flat.

TOWERS miscasted bigtime(i.e. the black actor who is flamboyantly gay and supposed to be playing a staunch heterosexual) and the acting seemed either really passionless or over the top. The story left a lot to be desired as well.

And BOTH soaps suffered from having WAY too many characters and not even bothering to try and develop them.

But I look forward to seeing Tim's show. Can't wait.

• Members

I was very suprised at the ambition this had! The girl that plays Krystle isn't half bad....and I loved the Moby in the beginning....set the mood. Definitely was shocked to see where else they used music from....

thanks for posting this

• Members

OK, so this was just for a class and not part of regular series?! Shame!

This was great stuff! Love the use of the music from GL and DAYS(those CDs do come in handy for something!). The tag shots were great too and the use of music was effective as well.

And ditto, Mateo. The girl who plays Krystle was really good.

Great job, GrayBunny!

• Members

That storyline is SO like Sami/Austin/Lucas/Carrie on Days in the 90's LoL

Just imagine these EXACT line coming out of their mouths!

Sami: "Oh, but don't you want to know how well it worked out? After all, if it wasn't for that special drug you gave me, I could've never gotten Blake (Austin) to slip into bed with me..."

Lucas: "Your happiness is proof enough. I'm happy, you're happy... Blake (Austin) and Krystle (Carrie) are complete history. It all works out."

Sami: "And now that Blake's (Austin's) attached to me, that makes Krystle (Carrie) free... for you."

• Members

Next scene... again, using the exact dialogue.

Austin: "Alexis (Carrie), come on. I only had a couple of drinks. The next thing you know, I'm waking up naked next to Alexis (Sami) in bed? It doesn't add up."

Carrie: "It adds up perfectly. A couple of drinks? Come on. Like you've ever been able to drink in moderation."

Austin: "Oh, come on. Alexis (Sami) had to have done something to me."

Carrie: "Alexis (Sami) has wanted you for a long time, that I know. But she's hardly the maternal type -- I highly doubt that she planed this whole thing."

Austin: "Krystle (Carrie), I love you. I would never intentionally jeopardize our relationship for any reason."

Carrie: "I love you, too."

Austin: "Then please, please believe me that I never wanted to sleep with Alexis (Sami). I don't know what happened."

Carrie: "She's carrying your child. A child that you and I once planned to have together."

Austin: "This doesn't have to change things."

Carrie: "It changes everything. I think you should leave."

Come on! That's SO Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas in 1995, LoL. Even right down to the fact that the villain (Sami/Alexis) isn't really carrying the hero's baby at all (Blake/Austin), but her partner in crime's (Dimitri/Lucas).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived