B&B: Betty White to join the cast

• Members

goldengirls1.jpg

Betty White

According to the latest print issue of TVGuide, Betty White will join The Bold and the Beautiful on December 1st in a startling departure from her lovable-ditz roles. The 84-year-old icon will play Ann Douglas, mother of the soap's screwy matriarch Stephanie Forrester [susan Flannery]. Viewers will learn that Stephanie was a victim of severe child abuse at the hands of her drunken father. "Not only did Ann turn a blind eye to her husband's behavior but she shamed Stephanie into silence," reports White, who promises, "big mother-daughter confrontations and – since I'll be around through Christmas – probably some healing." Though White has been a household favorite since the 1950's, the suds gig has at last made her a star in her own home. "My housekeeper and my assistant are insane about B&B," says White. "I've never seen them so excited. After all these years, they think I've finally arrived!"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't [!@#$%^&*] wait. I love Betty White and I love the idea of Stephanie doing something so different.

It wreaks of stunt casting and history rewrites but it does go some way toward explaining Stephanie's insistence on being the "Passion Police."

• Members

Hmm, well...

I'm a little disappointed that they are seemingly re-writing history by having Stephanie's father be the opposite of what Stephanie led everyone to believe. Although I guess that could be a symptom of it..? (Covering it up because she was so ashamed of it?) Anyway, I'm very happy to see this confirmation. I smell some Emmy material for Flannery. We might get to see Stephanie be vulnerable for once. Hopefully Brad Bell will pull it off. And while I'd love to see White stick around, I can't really see Stephanie's mother sticking around very long. Even though people will say it's Bradley and B&B always ditches characters, I would be suprised if this was a long term thing.

Just some storyline musings....Eric could become closer to Jackie through this recent turn of events, but could grow ultimately closer to Stephanie after he finds out about her past.

• Members

UGH! I still don't like this. And how will they explain Steph's sister, Pamela, in all of this?

If John Douglas was such an abusive bastard, why the hell would he give Stephanie the money to start the fashion house with Eric?

I guess this could make sense, but I wish this were given a better twist. JMO.

Although, I must agree this does give Flannery the much needed Emmy Material for next year's reel that she so desperately needs to compete with the powerhouses from GH and GL.

• Members

This is still a rumor but on another board they say that Alley Mills, has been cast as Pam, and will also start on December 1.

So IMO this could be a blockbuster storyline for Stephanie, if Brad Bell can pull it off. All I know is I will be watching. I have been waiting for a back story on Stephanie for years now.

• Members

I just got my TV Guide in the mail yesterday. I can confirm that Betty White will indeed be playing Stephanie's mama. It's in "The Logan Report."

On a BB/YR related note, "The Logan Report" also discusses Adrienne Frantz joining Y&R. She'll be working at Lauren's boutique and (keep those ear plugs handy) singing at Indigo. When asked who Amber will hook up with, Frantz says she doesn't know but that Amber has been "flirting with everybody."

SOW confirms that Alley Mills has been hired to play Pam, but Brad Bell didn't tell them that Betty White was going to play the mother, just that "It's very fun casting, and there should be dramatic stuff this December."

Archived