Days of our Lives Writer Dishes on Philip Recast

• Members

I promised you more scoopage from my recent in-depth interview with Hogan Sheffer, the new head writer of NBC's Days of our Lives. Last week, you read about Sheffer's big plans for the DiMera dynasty. Today's report is all about Salem rich boy Philip Kiriakis!

Just to refresh your memory, Kyle Brandt who started out on MTV's The Real World: Chicago has reached the end of his three-year contract with Days. He's chosen to leave the NBC soap to pursue other career endeavors. Brandt last airs on October 12.

Sheffer acknowledges that Days definitely intends to recast Philip because he sees the role as vital. "Victor Kiriakis (John Aniston) can no longer be the big swinging [honcho] of that family anymore," he insists. "It's gotta be Philip, the next generation. He's gotta be the new Victor."

Could the charming, gorgeous and much-missed Jay Kenneth Johnson, who played Philip before Brandt, possibly return to Salem?

Johnson left Days in 2002 and went on to do the short-lived nighttime soap North Shore, as well as guest gigs on primetime series including The OC, CSI: NY and Scrubs. He's also got an upcoming guest-star gig on CSI: Miami (more details on that later).

Bottom line: Johnson's been working respectably, but it's not like his career has soared to such heights that daytime couldn't lure him back with a sweet deal.

"Jay will certainly be considered when the time comes," Sheffer says. "He's a great looking guy and everybody loved him on Days."

What's most important to Sheffer is restoring the integrity of Philip, who's been dumbed down like most of the men in Salem.

"There's been a lot of disrepect involved with [the writing of] Philip," Sheffer adds. "This character is missing a leg that he lost in combat. I didn't even know that until my co-head writer Meg Kelly called me and told me, 'Did you know Philip has a prosthetic leg?' I said, 'He doesn't even limp!' If you're going to do something like that, you've got to treat it with some kind of respect. I don't see Philip carrying much of a burden from what happened to him.

"In fact, if they can't get [Johnson], I would love them to cast a one-legged actor. And preferably, a [military] veteran."

Sheffer bursts into laughter. "Of course, that's a tall order!" he says. "[Executive producer] Ken Corday said, 'Why don't we just start with somebody talented, Hogan?' I said, 'That's a good idea, Ken.'"

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?t...ssDate=12345678

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am ready for Phillip to become the Kiriakis that he is. I also love that Hogan is remembering that Phillip is a war veteran, as well as an amputee.

It will be different to adjust if they are able to bring Jay back as Phillip. If they can't, I am anxiously awaiting the re cast.

• Members

Jay would just look weird alongside Beemer and Madison as a villain anbd spoiler to their love story. I hope they find someone good- it'd be awesome if they could go for someone who would have a personal investment in the role, i.e. Hogan's suggestion for one-legged actor.

That said, I'm glad Philip will remain a force on the canvas. This generation really suffered at the hands of poor writing and could thrive in adult storylines given the right material.

• Members

This is REALLY good news. I had hoped that we would get a Philip recast and that the show would take him into a more darker place.

In order for this to work, we absolutely need a actor who has more talent in his pinkie than Kyle Brandt had for his entire being. Brandt was NEVER believable for me as Philip and I am not sad to see him go, not in the least.

Its time to move these characters into the next stage of their lives and new actors are needed to do that I think (minus Madison, who is the best outta the four, BY A MILE).

Finally Madison will get some real talent to act opposite of.

I am so happy that once Fath & Cook leave, we will finally be rid of all of those horrible actors (Storms, Fath, Cook, Lowder, Bjorlin, Van Wagner, Olsen ect) from the "teen invasion" years!

As for Jay Johnson, he was always to me the only one from those years who had any talent at all and I saw HUGE potential in him. I am not sure if he has the right image to play the Philip I imagine, but at least we would be assured a talented actor!

THANK GOD!

• Members

They should get that dude we thought would be Shawn for the nuPhillip.

If Hogan wants a tough Kiriakis heir, Johnson is NOT the actor he's looking for. Not unless by tough, he really means teen idol/boyband. Jay is not up to his description of Phillip.

• Members

This is music to my ears! I love love love Jay K. Johnson. He has been the only Philip to me so far. How can people say he can't live up to Hogan's discription of Philip. JKJ was probably the best actor out of the teen scene several years ago. I was so sad when he decided to leave in 2002. He made the role his.

I do understand why people might want Spencer Hill in the role. Hill is definitely hot and he has that dark edge about him. He looks like Kyle Brandt so the transition won't be difficult. But can he act? I'm sorry, but someone looking that damn good has to have some lacking qualities somewhere. I'm skeptical of Hill. At least we know Johnson can act.

• Members

This is GREAT news. Brandt did so well showing us signs of Victor in him these last few months and I am so happy Days is going to do right by the character. It sounds like they are going to rest Philip for a bit first, which is good. I was bothered by Hogan saying Victor can't run the show anymore so I wonder if John Aniston may be considering retirement or something? I wouldn't think so since he is recurring so perhaps it was Hogan just saying Victor is not a everyday character.

Spencer Hill looked the part and would be great if he could act. I LOVE Jay Johnson but I am not sure if he could play the role now. He would need to change his image from that whole boy next door/teen idol stuff and really bulk up to be believable as Philip. We will see but overall this is good news.

Archived