Days: November 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yeah, you rarely see scenes like that.  Peter and Stephen are probably the only two male actors on the show you could do that with because there's a lot of history there.  It was just a phenomenal, emotional scene.  

Agreed! A lot of great scenes with them today. Loved Bo alone in the park yelling at God - how he fought so hard to get back to his family, only to be taken away from them for good.    

• Members

Did he really curse the gods, as it were, while alone in the park?  I don't know why certain writers feel the need to write such scenes.  IMO, they hardly ever work.

Somewhere along the way, TPTB at every soap decided the only way to play background music was loudly and constantly.  God forbid any soap allow one scene to pass without SOME distracting music played at maximum level.

• Members

I'm not sure why the writers thought it was a good idea to give Peter Reckell that sort of material, because it was not working. He's not a terrible actor, but he doesn't have the sort of range to pull off what he was given. Most of that I fast forwarded through, because it just isn't grabbing me.

• Members

I think Reckell can be quite good -- he did some great work over the years, and before his 2012 departure, he'd settled into this surprisingly charismatic, easy rhythm with Bo. He has a real spark with Bo's family and friends, and he can find humor in more straightforward scenes. But I did not need to see him rolling around on the Astroturf howling at the skies like a wild animal. That sort of writing is so on-the-nose that I'm not sure many actors could sell it, and the staging made it insane. I did like the scene between him and Steve a lot -- until Bo just wandered out and left Steve there lying on the grass crying!

• Members

I thought Reckell was effective in some scenes. I'm LOLing at ya'll coming for him. He really isn't much different than he's ever been. He's not the absolute greatest but he sold it for me in a few scenes. The wailing on the ground and screaming at God? That actually moved me the least. Well, it moved my eyes to roll in the back of my head and it gave me visions of Justin Deas on Guiding Light screaming from the rooftop for episodes on end. And no that is not a compliment.

Mary Beth Evans can CRY. Dang. She was SOBBING.

Archived