Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

"All HER Children"--Agnes Nixon's Biography

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 allmc2008

allmc2008

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Here are some pictures from the book!!  I got it today!!

AHC4_zpsdeb2ebe0.jpeg

AHC2_zps62111c1e.jpeg

AHC3_zpsfb8dd162.jpeg

And Finally...

Mama Nixon!!

AHC1_zpsf63780dc.jpeg

Edited by allmc2008, 12 July 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#2 cassadine1991

cassadine1991

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

wow.... Nice pictures

#3 Pine Charles

Pine Charles

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

One word:

EricMontreal22

#4 allmc2008

allmc2008

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

One word:

EricMontreal22

What about him??????????  Was he supposed to do this??

#5 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

One word:

EricMontreal22

wub.png   It's hardly a Nixon bio though--although it does have a chapter which covers that :P

It's funny they could only fit four sets into an episode--and now people find that claustrophobic.

#6 allmc2008

allmc2008

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

wub.png   It's hardly a Nixon bio though--although it does have a chapter which covers that tongue.png

It's funny they could only fit four sets into an episode--and now people find that claustrophobic.

I have only read part of the introduction.  I thought it was a Nixon bio based on the Title and the reviews on Amazon.

#7 Pine Charles

Pine Charles

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

wub.png   It's hardly a Nixon bio though--although it does have a chapter which covers that tongue.png

Right.  I've never actually read it (please don't disown me, LOL), but I think it's more a "Behind-the-Scenes of All My Children" than an Agnes Nixon biography. 

Edited by Pine Charles, 12 July 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#8 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

It is, and it also goes into the stigmas of soaps (he interviews a shrink who thinks they cause women all kinds of problems) and all that as well.

*disowns Pine Charles*

While I hope Nixon does pen her memoirs as she said--and actually says some mean things--a bio by someone else would probably be duller than Lucci's even.  Unless they delve into her awful sounding family growing up--otherwise she seems to have had a pretty great life, really.

#9 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Great book.  I own several copies of it both in hardback and paperback.  I just don't quote it ad nauseum like Eric does.  :lol:

#10 Graham

Graham

Recurring

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

I've always wondered how you properly pronounce Fra. Is it just like it sounds?

#11 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Fra, rhymes with bra.

#12 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Great book.  I own several copies of it both in hardback and paperback.  I just don't quote it ad nauseum like Eric does.  laugh.png

You would miss it if I didn't tongue.png  I have two hardcover copies--but didn't know it went to paperback.

It actually got some backlash from the soap press at the time--who were a bit against AMC's "trendy" image in general.  Stuff like "Why does this soap get a high profile book when World hasn't??"  Though he's actually really generous and fair on all soaps. 

Dan Wakefield is a great novelist Going All The Way is a great book as is Starting Over and both were made into decent movies, and he has written a lot of great essays (including some about being a man of faith who has no respect for the religious right.)  He also created the much loved 70s teen series James at 15/16 which inspired Dawson's Creek.  It's one of the few soap books that really is a pleasure to read just as a book.  I remember a friend who doesn't watch soaps but was staying with me for a weekend picked it up (because I leave copies strategically all around my house, of course wink.png ) and said he was just going to flip through it, but ended up reading it all.

I love the bit where he says he listened to radio soaps as a kid, but thought for a teenaged straight male to admit that would be worst than being caught by his parents jerking off--and then he went to a party around his high school grad where a bunch of drunken guys suddenly all started quoting the opening to Ma Perkins and realized how many people secretly listened.

He was originally meant to be the one to co-create Loving with Agnes Nixon, not Marland.  I wonder what happened--though I suspect he just realized a soap was too much work.  He's still around, I would love to know how long he kept up his obsession with AMC.

Fra, rhymes with bra.

Yeah, bra, like Fra is a total bra.  (How else would one pronounce it?)

Edited by EricMontreal22, 12 July 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#13 Graham

Graham

Recurring

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Such an old timey nickname. Never heard of it used for Frances before.

#14 allmc2008

allmc2008

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

You would miss it if I didn't tongue.png  I have two hardcover copies--but didn't know it went to paperback.

It actually got some backlash from the soap press at the time--who were a bit against AMC's "trendy" image in general.  Stuff like "Why does this soap get a high profile book when World hasn't??"  Though he's actually really generous and fair on all soaps. 

Dan Wakefield is a great novelist Going All The Way is a great book as is Starting Over and both were made into decent movies, and he has written a lot of great essays (including some about being a man of faith who has no respect for the religious right.)  He also created the much loved 70s teen series James at 15/16 which inspired Dawson's Creek.  It's one of the few soap books that really is a pleasure to read just as a book.  I remember a friend who doesn't watch soaps but was staying with me for a weekend picked it up (because I leave copies strategically all around my house, of course wink.png ) and said he was just going to flip through it, but ended up reading it all.

I love the bit where he says he listened to radio soaps as a kid, but thought for a teenaged straight male to admit that would be worst than being caught by his parents jerking off--and then he went to a party around his high school grad where a bunch of drunken guys suddenly all started quoting the opening to Ma Perkins and realized how many people secretly listened.

He was originally meant to be the one to co-create Loving with Agnes Nixon, not Marland.  I wonder what happened--though I suspect he just realized a soap was too much work.  He's still around, I would love to know how long he kept up his obsession with AMC.

Yeah, bra, like Fra is a total bra.  (How else would one pronounce it?)

Mine is Paperback.

You saying that you like to place them strategically around your house is something I would do.  I am always using examples from soaps in conversations (and I am really good at incorporating them.  I never make them sound random) but since I live with my parents I would leave something like my "Writing for Soaps" book open at a good part in the bathroom when company is over.

Fra could be pronounced as "Fray".

#15 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Fra could be pronounced as "Fray".

It's not.  Susan has openly spoken about Fra numerous times.

#16 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

I actually emailed Dan Wakefield about 8 years ago and asked if he kept tabs on the show.  (This was right around the time Bianca was raped.)  Sadly, he said he hadn't kept up with All My Children in quite some time.  But he did say that he would check it out again on my suggestion that the show was at the time experiencing a rebirth.  (Of course, McTavish couldn't sustain any stories passed her initial "umbrella" story of Bianca's assault and the show got darker and darker.)

#17 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Mine is Paperback.

You saying that you like to place them strategically around your house is something I would do. 

Oh dear...  That was a joke...  lol

I actually emailed Dan Wakefield about 8 years ago and asked if he kept tabs on the show.  (This was right around the time Bianca was raped.)  Sadly, he said he hadn't kept up with All My Children in quite some time.  But he did say that he would check it out again on my suggestion that the show was at the time experiencing a rebirth.  (Of course, McTavish couldn't sustain any stories passed her initial "umbrella" story of Bianca's assault and the show got darker and darker.)

Wow!  I'm impressed--I would have never thought to have done that.  It was experiencing a rebirth right around then (Susan even talked about it on The View I remember, and of course Stephen King wrote about it being his fave TV show in Ent Weekly) but yeah, that didn't last...

#18 cassadine1991

cassadine1991

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

Stephen King was a fan of All My Children???

#19 allmc2008

allmc2008

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Oh dear...  That was a joke...  lol

Wow!  I'm impressed--I would have never thought to have done that.  It was experiencing a rebirth right around then (Susan even talked about it on The View I remember, and of course Stephen King wrote about it being his fave TV show in Ent Weekly) but yeah, that didn't last...

Oh.  I knew....Yup!! I did!!!.....Gee Willikers!!

.....Um... Looks like bed time....

**Runs and Hides under bed and hopes this can be undone**

#20 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Stephen King was a fan of All My Children???

Briefly, anyway--he LOVED the whole Babe/Bianca/OLTL babyswitch and spoke up about it as one of the stories of the year (in all, thank god, earnestness.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users