Should other soaps be rebooted?

• Members

It was not Conboy or his company. It was CBS who dropped the ball. CBS wanted a soap about politics and then forbade the producers from telling any stories with a political slant. The story that went on the air was quite different than what the creators and producers intended.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Prospect Park were really successful with AMC and OLTL, I wouldn't mind them adding a third soap. I think it's been enough time to do a reboot of ATWT or GL without needing most of those cast members. You could just reboot the series and pick up five years later with one or two families (if that) and focus on an new side of town ala GH/PC.

The SMART soap to reboot/remake would be something potentially edgy like Passions or Edge of Night. I know Edge is old, but the premiere is strong and could draw in male viewers or non-soap fans who like mysteries and procedurals. Passions is popular with younger viewers and it did well on DirecTV, plus I feel it could've been so much more than it was.

• Members

Stunned at the NBC rumor and hope it's true, though unlikely!

The logical choice of P&G soap to revive on NBC would be Another World since it was on NBC before. AW is also a soap that still has people churning out fan fiction 14 years after cancellation. It has also been gone enough time that a "next generation" revival would make sense age-wise, like with Degrassi and Dallas.

• Members

the Edge of Night and Dark Shadows would be the most likely to be rebooted, i would think.

Down the line i could see a new Passions too.

But i doubt any of this will ever happen. Even with AMC/OLTL this was always the plan, it just took awhile to get it done - if it gets done.

• Members

The Judge and Divorce Court were very soapy anthology series that used to run in daytime. They were pretty riveting to me as a kid. Cheesy as hell sometimes, but... Imagine a revolving door of former soap stars and it could be interesting. There used to be this anthology series that would air on Sunday mornings that was taped just like a soap, I really wish I could remember what it was called.

• Members

Co-sign on that!!! Imagine if Capitol ran during the Gulf War, especially during the whole Monica L/Bill Clinton scandal, 9/11, etc. I think Capitol would be one to reboot just for all the juicy stuff going on in the nations capital. Scandal is certainly getting a lot of mileage out of the concept right now.. so why not do a soap version again.

Also, I would suggest Edge of Night... a procedural with a soap twist.

• Members

Just don't let James Lipton, soap show killer, write again. Apparently he is still extremely bitter about the cancelation--according to the recent book about William Bell, even just a few years back he was at some awards show and refused to aknowledge any of the Bells there supporting B&B.

• Members

I think the Capitol idea sounds great. I remember when it first came out there was a lot of interest, then a few years in, even my Mother stopped watching it. Several years later she then started watching B&B when it premiered since Y&R was her favorite and it was from creator Bill Bell.

On the rebooted Capitol they could have a political figure get into a scandal by sending a nude pic of himself to a woman. They would have to give him a name like Tony Frankfurter.

I think it would be interesting if they could do a soap where aspiring writers sent in storylines. They would pick the best ones and do them on the air, but I would say they would get so many it would be crazy to go through all of them.

Archived