Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

HBO: Girls

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 YRBB

YRBB

That's Head Bitch Jill Foster Abbott to you!

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Did anyone watch it?

It was absolutely great. The anal sex scene felt so real and I absolutely got the Sex and the City parallels the writer/director/creator was going for. Such a fun experience. Well worth checking out.

#2 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,539 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

I don't get HBO, but have heard some strong criticism of the show for only focusing on white people, in spite of being in Brooklyn. I guess Judd Apatow only cares about focusing on white characters. Denham apparently passed the buck to him in an interview.

#3 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

For some reason, the previews for this show turned me off. I am not watching it.

#4 YRBB

YRBB

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

http://watching-tv.e...hrones-mad-men/

Loving it!

#5 YRBB

YRBB

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

http://insidetv.ew.c.../girls-ratings/

#6 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I read those two articles. I doubt what the critics think matter. As long as HBO likes the show, it will be renewed regardless of its ratings.

I don't get HBO, but have heard some strong criticism of the show for only focusing on white people, in spite of being in Brooklyn. I guess Judd Apatow only cares about focusing on white characters. Denham apparently passed the buck to him in an interview.

If you are interested, HBO is showing the premiere of Girls free for one month on HBO.com, YouTube, DailyMotion, and TV.com.

Edited by Ann_SS, 16 April 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#7 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

I think this sums up why I refuse to watch this bullsh*t:

Why We Need to Keep Talking About the White Girls on Girls: http://jezebel.com/5...-girls-on-girls

#8 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,539 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

The racial comments from that staff writer are really offputting. Why is it that shows constantly praised for how progressive they are often seem to bathe in this type of trash?

#9 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

The racial comments from that staff writer are really offputting.

But not surprising. Shows that have an all white cast that like Sex in the City and Friends are not that way by accident. They usually have all white production and writing teams who are not interested in diversity. These critiques have made me realize why I did not like the promos. It is all about very white girls who are all about themselves. I am just not interested that type of show at the moment.

Edited by Ann_SS, 19 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#10 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

I have mixed feelings. I mean, these characters are pretty vapid and entitled. I watched the first episode and won't watch again because if I am rooting for these "girls" at all, I'm rooting for them to get a harsh wake up call. I just don't like them. I guess they could add a black or Latino girl to the mix, but that would just be a person of another color for me to wish ill on.

#11 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,539 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

But not surprising. Shows that have an all white cast that like Sex in the City and Friends are not that way by accident. They usually have all white production and writing teams who are not interested in diversity. These critiques have made me realize why I did not like the promos. It is all about very white girls who are all about themselves. I am just not interested that type of show at the moment.

That's true, I just usually would rather believe they are mostly unintentionally ignorant, instead of putting it out there that way with quasi-racist "jokes". That comment about Precious, not to mention the Obama "joke", were jarring.

Edited by CarlD2, 19 April 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#12 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

HBO might push to get rid of that controversial writer to try to put a damper on some of the criticism. Then again, with all the mixed reviews and mediocre ratings, HBO might just not order a second season.

#13 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Isn't the writer the star of the show, or am I mixed up?

#14 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Isn't the writer the star of the show, or am I mixed up?

You might be right. I did not pay attention to the names.

Edited by Ann_SS, 19 April 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#15 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,327 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

Wow. What a boring show. I am disappointed.

#16 Khan

Khan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Wow. What a boring show. I am disappointed.

And that, I must say, is the biggest sin of all. If you want to make a TV show (or film, or play, or novel, or whatever) featuring characters who are predominately or exclusively one ethnicity or another at the exclusion of all others, that's one thing. However, as Billy Wilder (who was a white filmmaker, yes, but who also was a smart filmmaker, if you ask me) once said: Never bore the audience. When you do that, you're done.

#17 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

The racial comments from that staff writer are really offputting. Why is it that shows constantly praised for how progressive they are often seem to bathe in this type of trash?

Considering that she also (used to?) write(s) for Vice Magazine (which has a long history of this bullsh*t), I'm not at all surprised by her comments. If anything, it confirms what I suspected ever since I heard about this show.

#18 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

I did not want to get into another show, but since it's on between when I watch The Killing and Game of Thrones I was pulled in.

The actress playing Marnie is so [!@#$%^&*] beautiful. It kind of sickens me.

There are so many little things that made me fall in love with the show, like the appreciation for Cheese Strings. I mean, those are [!@#$%^&*] delicious.

I think the virgin is my favourite character, which is weird for me, because I hated her on The United States of Tara.

Oh, and Marnie should be happy about the latest developments, her boyfriend is an effing dickweed. Hannah did absolutely nothing wrong and if she's villainized for it, I'll be pissed. Though, I wonder if this will change of her opinion of him as it certainly wasn't boring for him to what he did. But still, what a passive-aggressive asswipe. Point for his body though, I didn't think it would be so nice. But most importantly, his !@#$%^&*] friends needs to die. He's horrible.

#19 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,377 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

You might be right. I did not pay attention to the names.

It's not, she's not even one of the script writers, just a part of the writing team. Her comments are idiotic, but I also think this show being picked out over others is ridiculous. And yes, I enjoy the show.

#20 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,478 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I just saw the first episode and found it to be boring. I also hate the main character and find her to be a spoiled brat. This didnt live up to the hype I was hearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users