The Politics Thread

• Members

I know... my Niece's father in law just put up the confederate flag as his profile picture on facebook (He's from TEXAS). A few days ago it was a weeping angel. What a moron! Thank God I'm not friends with him, I've only met the jerk once, and that's enough for me.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, I live in GA I was heavily suprised that the counties I used to live in voted for Obama. He was only 300,000 votes away in the whole state. I think the influx of African Americans, and well to do immigrants from East Asian countries has alot to do with it. And of course we have a steadily growing Latino population as well.

Edited by Eric83

• Members

Cornell West has done lost his damn mind. There is something wrong with that man mentally.

Now back to the Petraeus sex scandal: What i love the most is that I just read in the NY Times that it was a FBI agent Birther who went running to Eric Cantor. Watching the Republicans rally around Petraeus is a sight to behold. Their so-called morals go out the window when they have a Republican politician to protect.

• Members

I really don't understand his point, if he has any. What difference does it make where the voters live? More people voted for Obama than for Mitt Romney. Does it really matter where the voters come from?

And I would think that a big voter turnout is a good thing. It means more people took an interest in the election, and that's one of the cornerstones of a democracy isn't it?

• Members

The problem is that when turnout is higher, Republicans lose because more poor and middle class voters get to vote in their own interest. So if you care about democracy then yes, high turnout is great. If you care about Republicans getting and keeping power, high turnout is your worst nightmare.

• Members

High voter turnout today in the US tends to = more democrats getting votes. That's why all those states that elected republican governors in 2010 were those at the forefront of voter id laws and led voter suppression. I hope that moron Scott Walker in Florida gets beat for the fiasco again in Florida caused by his refusal to extend pre election day voting which by the way all his predecessors including Jeb Bush extended when they were Govenor.

• Members

I understand that high voter turnout is good news for the democrats and bad for the republicans. I just didn't think that anyone would be so candid about being more interested in gaining power than in increasing people's interest in exercising their right to vote.

I'm not surprised he feels that way, I'm just surprised he's so blatant about it.

I don't know what the voter turnout usually is in the US, but I do know that here it was seen as a problem when voter turnout decreased from almost 87% in the general election in 1991 to just over 80% in the election in 2006. It then increased again, and in the election in 2010 we had a voter turnout of 84,5%.

A big voter turnout is usually seen as favouring the Social democrats, but all parties want to see as many people as possible go and vote.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

You mean Rick Scott. He is disliked by many in Florida and even more since the election, but make no mistake that low voter turnout might just put him back in office. He is corrupt as hell, his company got the largest settlement for Medicare fraud and people still voted for him.