Most successful soap returns

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Now I thought this would be you posting the promo & predicting Vivian's successful return! 

With Bo on DAYS when they switched from Peter Reckell to Robert Kelker-Kelly they'd been clever about the recast. They gave RKK a makeover to make him look more like PR than just good looking, right height, brunette with good hair & facial hair or not, whichever it was at the time.  Then they did the switch in the middle of a costume masked ball. And Robert's a capable actor so he fit & was called a success. There had been some doubt that anyone could "replace" Peter! But, then, when Peter returned you'd have thought he was a demi-god! His welcome was that warm. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
combine 2 posts

• Members

Hard to argue with either of those, and I agree that both shows were invigorated by those returns.

I think Marlena’s return in the 90’s on DAYS was equally as successful and integral. As messy as John/Roman was, it gave us Sami’s many issues, the affair storyline, and Belle. Much like Luke and Laura and Roger’s return, Marlena was connected to every character and story- either directly, through her family, through Stefano, and her friendships.

A later one that was maybe not as well written overall and certainly the show was in rocky shape but still helped rebuild something the show had lost was Angie returning to AMC and Jesse being alive. The two of them together really worked, and carried over well to the online show.

• Members

Andrea Evans returning as Tina Clayton on OLTL in 1985 completely reset and revitalized the canvas, ratings and and the trajectory of the show for years. 

I agree Debbi and Darnell back as Angie and Jesse on AMC was fantastic, the build up to their reunion at the train was insanely good, it’s a shame there wasn’t a long-term story planned for them as the actual Hubbard unit was complete, the casting on Frankie was phenomenal. I don’t know if they should have rushed them back together as they did and into a wedding with 4.5 months. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Though it was brief, Julie Osborn's return as Kathleen on AW was excellent. Bringing back Charles Keating at the same time brought many characters into the story. It also created the Kathleen/Cass/Frankie triangle. It was probably the first triangle where I couldn't decide between them.