ABC Daytime

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You really need to knock it off. Stop dogging me. Stop following me around & saying stupid things! Enough already. I have spread NO MISINFORMATION HERE! It would be typical that an EP would sign off on casting. It would not be typical that the head of the network would be involved. Do you have some factual basis to think that Angela Shapiro was involved? If so, say so & back it up.

• Members

Well, thank you for the additional information. I know that Pat Fili-Krushel really gets things done & fast. I'm pleased for anyone who was part of doing the right thing for Zaslow to get kudos even if it's after the fact.

As for Jill, I try to keep up with anything good she does. Obvi' because her other list is so long. 

• Members

13 KOVR (ABC) Sacramento Friday, January 28, 1977
6:30 Guten Tag
7:00 Good Morning America
9:00 Morning Scene
10:00 I Dream of Jeannie
10:30 Happy Days
11:00 Don Ho
11:30 Family Feud
NOON $20,000 Pyramid
12:30 To Tell the Truth
1:00 Ryan's Hope
1:30 One Life to Live
2:15 General Hospital
3:00 Edge of Night
3:30 All My Children
4:00 My Three Sons

AMC at 3.30!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Santa Cruz Sentinel 19 September 1980

ABC's Daytime Performance Has Shone Since Jackie Smith Arrived

By TOM JORY NEW YORK (AP) Jacqueline Smith says she was a bit nervous when she took over as vice president for daytime programs at ABC three years ago last March. "I'd worked in daytime before, but mostly children's programs," she recalls, "and now I was responsible for all of these shows. "I looked at what we had on the air. Brain tumors all that predictable stuff that had been the bread and butter of the daytime serial since radio. And I wanted to liven things up."

ABC has, since Jackie Smith took over, become the No. 1 network in daytime by a comfortable margin. And though she's reluctant to take all the credit, the fact is the most successful shows in the ABC lineup "General Hospital," "All My Children," "One Life to Live," "Ryan's Hope" have soared in the ratings during her tenure. Through July, the four shows were the highest-rated in daytime , with "General Hospital" reaching an average of 4.84 million women in the desired 18-49 age group.

In the week of Aug. 18-22, the most recent for which figures are available, 'General Hospital" had 40 percent of the audience opposite "Guiding Light" on CBS with 25 and NBC's new "Texas" with 16. In that same period, the network's daytime lineup averaged 34 percent of the audience for the entire week, compared with 27 percent for CBS and 16 for NBC.

ABC now has been the highest-rated network in daytime for nearly three years. "I've tried to look back and say, 'How did all this happen?'" Ms. Smith says. "Spicier stories. And streamlining, I think. "Agnes introduced the faster format," she says, referring to the legendary Agnes Nixon, who created both "One Life to Live" and "All My Children." "We've taken that, and gone in the direction of suspense, high suspense, rather than the kitchen sink variety of story. "And then we've been aggressive in promoting our product."

Jackie Smith's career in broadcasting began with a book on educational television called "TV The New Teacher." She later was a writer-producer at KPIX-TV in San Francisco, where she won three George Foster Peabody awards for children's programming. She came to New York as director of on-air promotion at WPIX-TV, and joined CBS in 1963 as executive producer for daytime programs. While at CBS, she initiated the network's award-winning Children's Film Festival.

Ms. Smith spent three years as director of special projects for Warner Brothers Television, and returned to CBS in 1974 as director of special programs. At ABC, she is responsible for development and production of all daytime series, and she clearly enjoys her job. "I think we're entering a Golden Age of Daytime' she says, with characteristic enthusiasm, "when the audience will no longer accept stories that do not have energy and humor."

"General Hospital" is. in a sense, the showcase series in ABC's daytime lineup. "There was a story line on 'General Hospital' some time ago," Ms. Smith says, "where a man was tampering with the brakes on someone else's car. That doesn't really have much fantasy and emotion to it. We're talking there about crazed people. "Now we have two of the series' leading people, Luke and Laura, on the run. searching for answers to a mystery. And if they are successful in their search, they will have the ammunition to unmask a very heavy villain. I don't believe in the history of daytime we've ever had a story like Luke and Laura."