ABC Daytime

• Members

Feb 70

Marshall Karp was out as Daytime VP to be replaced by Michael Eisner.

Under his tenure. Karp oversaw the launch and cancellation of The Best of Everything after a very short run, A World Apart struggling, resulting in the dismissal of Irna and Katherine Phillips and Dark Shadows falling in the ratings.

Eisner's first move upon taking over was cancelling Dark Shadows and replacing it with Password. One other contender was The Reel Game which had been running in primetime, but it was decided Password was more familiar to audiences.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

the great advantage abc daytime had over cbs was that abc owned their shows, so they were able to create a brand that was immediately recognizable.

cbs had to deal with sony, bell-phillips, and, of course, p&g all had to agree, and i can’t say i was surprised when a cbs publicist told me that  p&g was an absolute nightmare to deal with when it came to marketing. 

and that the bell shows and p&g shows were so stylistically different prevented cbs creating a brand for their shows. 

• Members

WPTA 21 - ABC Fort Wayne Oct 93.
5:30 am - ABC World News This Morning
6:00 am - News
7:00 am - Good Morning America
9:00 am - Donahue
10:00 am - Sally Jessy Raphael
11:00 am - Maury Povich
12:00 pm - News
12:30 pm - Loving
1:00 pm - One Life to Live
2:00 pm - General Hospital
3:00 pm - All My Children
4:00 pm - Oprah Winfrey

Prempted the Home Show in the morning and changed the AMC/OLTL/GH pattern in the PM

WTVW 7 - ABC Evansville (now a CW O&O)Jan 85
5:30 am - Jim Bakker
6:30 am - ABC World News This Morning
9:00 am - Andy Griffith
9:30 am - Loving (repeat of previous episode)
10:00 am - Trivia Trap
10:30 am - Family Feud (network)
11:00 am - Ryan's Hope
11:30 am - News
12:00 pm - All My Children
3:00 pm - Loving (new)
3:30 pm - Scooby-Doo
4:00 pm - Diff'rent Strokes

A double dose of Loving!

• Members

But CBS owned four of its own shows (Love of Life, Where the Heart Is, Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, and The Secret Storm).  

And, when promoting the premiere of Where the Heart Is, there were commercials featuring other actresses from The Secret Storm and Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.

• Members

KVII 7 - ABC Amarillo Jan 1978
relays KVIJ-8 Sayre, OK
6:00 am - English Literature
6:30 am - News
9:00 am - Sesame Street "Episode 1096: Returning from Hawaii"
10:00 am - Happy Days
10:30 am - Family Feud
11:00 am - The $20,000 Pyramid
11:30 am - Concentration
12:00 pm - News
12:30 pm - Cross-Wits
3:00 pm - The Edge of Night
3:30 pm - Bugs Bunny

No All My Children.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

On a thread here (I think the One Life to Live thread) it was said that Jeffrey Byron was PROBABLY given his role on All My Children (Dr. Jeffrey Martin #5) after he had been written off One Life to Live as Richard Abbott #4.   And that Laura Carrington, after being written off One Life to Live, had been given a role on the serial General Hospital.

Another such example is the hiring on actress Julia Barr, who had been written off Ryan's Hope as Renee Szabo, becoming the second Brooke English on One Life to Live.

And, Steve Fletcher, after being written off One Life to Live as Brad Vernon #2, had roles on All My Children, Loving and Ryan's Hope.   (maybe not in that order)

It is too bad that the network did not have roles for some of the other performers who were written off Ryan's Hope at the same time that Ms. Barr was written off.

• Members

Tomorrow is the Endiversary of the ABC/20th Century Fox soap opera The Best of Everything. It was a 6 month failure. I was reading a text which referred to 6 months as being the minimum amount of time a network would leave a failing soap on the air, at that time. Of course that time was 1970 when there were 19 soaps on the air. The text went on to say that soon the networks would hit upon the idea of expanding half hour shows to an hour because the risk of failure with new start-ups was so great. It's interesting to me because we now know that the idea came about because Pete Lemay didn't want to start another soap for P&G. I think they ought to have turned the problem over & looked at it from another perspective & concluded that soaps just need more time to grow an audience. And The Best of Everything was on at noon & up against Jeopardy! and there were problems with clearances because of affiliates wanting to air local news. Lastly, it was exec produced & written by James Lipton who never once was successful with a soap. 

• Members

September is a big month as far as soap history goes but today, Sept. 27th is humongous! 4 soaps had their debuts.

Morning Star, NBC 11 Eastern, Ted Corday, early color, an experiment in a morning block, ran 10 months

Paradise Bay, NBC 11:30 Eastern, Ted Corday, early color & contemporary music, same experiment, also 10 months. PB maintained 100% of MS lead-in. 

(They were followed by successful game show, Jeopardy!)

The Nurses, ABC, same setting & plot & fictional hospital & Supv. Nurse as a CBS primetime show that ran 3 yrs. , ran 9 months

Never Too Young, ABC, 1st soap specifically marketed to youth, 4 Eastern, wall to wall contemporary music, some say it was a rip-off of the movie Beach Blanket Bingo. I've only seen the pilot/premiere but it is strangely appealing. Unusual credits. Also it is said that it paved the way for LIAMST and Y&R. Dark Shadows came on at 4 as soon as it crashed & burnt. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
typos are always with us

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Whatever else Jill Farren Phelps did to whatever other soaps and actors, and her sins were many, I think she balanced the scales with her hiring of Michael Zaslow, who had been cruelly cast off by CBS when he started showing signs of ALS.

Whoever made the statement at CBS addressing his dismissal should burn in hell.

• Members

I know that JFP was EP & she had to sign off on it for Zas to be able to play David Rinaldi as an ALS sufferer but I believe that kudos also go to both Brynn Thayer & definitely to Robin Strasser who worked to get a place for him by talking to people at ABC & OLTL

As far as GL goes, it wasn't CBS. It was GL & P&G. No one knows how high up it went but known individuals were specifically Paul Rauch & MADD (Mary Alice Dwyer Dobbin has the egregious infamous quote to her credit.) However, there were people at GL, like the writing staff for example, who were MORE than ready to write an ALS story for Roger & to use Holly in it, etc. And, it all went down once he had his diagnosis & approached them to write it in for his character. But one more thing, he sued them & either won or they settled with him. At any rate he did get some money out of them.