Y&R June 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Courtney Hope performed well in her scenes for today’s episode. There really wasn’t much of a storyline for her but she did what she could with the material she was given. Geez, those scenes made Sharon sound almost bloodthirsty, like driving a stake, uh knife into Cameron was somehow thrilling. I don’t know what to say about that dialogue but Sharon Case commits to the material. 
How is Eric Braeden managing these days? He looks a bit like he’s trying to conserve energy at times. Today he looked a bit drained. Hopefully he doesn’t feel bad. 
CBS.com’s site’s description for today’s episode seemed a bit off. They mentioned Nikki supporting Sharon, or something. Well, I didn’t see no Nikki!

• Members

No other nurse or staff in Sally's room? Ridiculous. The show is having extras and day players now so stretch the budget to make the scene slightly more realistic.

And Sally just laying peacefully in bed not hooked up to anything. Let alone Adam making decisions with no authority.

The show just takes short cuts with every story.

• Members

It is kind of creepy how desolate the hospital looks, with not even one nurse or orderly in the hallway, walking past the room. And just a muffled voice heard after Sally pressed the call button.

EDT. After watching today’s episode, I will say that the final scene between Victoria and Nick does have touches of the type of sibling conflict that Y&R was once known for.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Errol featured this topic
  • Members

Sorry for my lateness, but I agree about VR as well.

And as for the bold...I just can't help, but think about the eerie coda when Sharon was writing what seem like a suicidal note back when it seem like she was being turning into a promiscuous klepto, and the ending ended making the viewers wonder if Sharon was really going to kill herself. The camera angles, the music, and the fact SC was selling it. That has always stood out for me during that whole period where Sharon was getting bad writing. 

Amen.

I admit...when I first saw this comment...I got shivers thinking back to the end of JG's DAYS run which is when I stopped watching because it just got too dark...and I like dark, but...

Which is a shame because I rarely feel like she phones it in. 

Like when she arrived at the ball on Adam's arm and did the oh so dramatic diva mask reveal in front of the cameras. It was a small thing since at that point she was just being so background character during the Nick/Sally/Adam storyline, but she was giving. 

• Members

WTH is happening on this show? Isn't Chance supposed to taking care of his family home for Jill?

Jill fought tooth and nail for that Chancellor mansion for decades and her grandson Chance just hands it over to Devon and Abby like nothing.

Please register in order to view this content

It's like he's not even aware that his grandfather is Phillip Chancellor II.

Does anyone know if the Chancellors are being written out for good? If Chance is moving out of his own mansion I would think his days are numbered. Winter's mansion???

• Members

Yeah the past few weeks have really started to remind me of how JG wrote Days around their 50th anniversary and the aftermath, and here we are again with a show that just turned 50 with a current bleak outlook just like Days. This isn’t going to end well at all. 

Several years ago I remember wishing Devon and Hilary moved into the mansion instead of Billy and Hilary hanging a giant portrait of herself next to Katherine to Jill and Esther’s dismay

But seriously JG seems to be completely clueless about what to do when it comes to Chance. Chance was ripe and prime to have an unexpected affair with Sally (resulting in her pregnancy) or being manipulated by Audra as her ticket into taking control of Chancellor…but instead the show hasn’t given any bones to Chance at all.

There was a time years back I use to defend Ordway and liked her but have come to realize folks like @Vee were right along about her capabilities; Ordway’s Abby is completely ineffectual and pointless. Along with Stafford and MCE I wonder why Ordway is still on this show. 

• Members

9-20

Yeah...I really and truly did not like what JG did to Sally and the baby. That said...ooooo was CH making me feel her pain though. I felt sooooo uncomfortable watching her scenes as Adam tried to explain what happened, Elena tried to explain what happened, and Nick trying to be there on top of that. Just smh.

I'm can't believe the Cameron story is over. Not surprised, just can't believe it. That was a fun three weeks there. lol. 

As expected, AL owned those scenes of dealing with an angry Kyle after finding out that Summer knew Phyllis was alive. And MM actually stepped up, too so I didn't mind that all.

As others have said...and I love to say...I live for Elena going off on Nate and Victoria. I know it hurts. Cuz he was never in love with her...it was just an ego battle with Devon, and I will continue to say so. hehe. That said...has the JT story vanished from this part of the story?

• Members

Had the show managed to entice Jess Walton to assume a more consistent screen presence, having Hilary and Devon move into Chancellor mansion with Jill still residing there would have been gold. Hilary and Jill’s clashes, neither one willing to compromise or concede that they may have more in common (industrious, smart, cunning and calculated, often woefully underestimated, big appetites for success) than they are willing to acknowledge. Add Nina’s occasional visits, trying to be a peacemaker. They could’ve even written Jill convincing Chance to move into the mansion, trying to use the argument that it is his birthright, while her real motive is trying to cultivate her grandson into being a necessary ally in the house. Then think of where these characters could be today, even if all the other things still occurred (Hilary’s tragic demise, Chance and Abby’s marriage, the surrogacy, the birth of Dominic, the affair between Abby and Devon…the stories would likely be richer, if all these characters had a stronger history with one another.

Didn’t Elena quit the podcast because it was a Newman Media entity? JT was supposed to be part of that podcast. I think that’s when Elena thought she and Nate still had a relationship worth salvaging. It didn’t come across as a revenge plot, more like a plot to distract Victoria while she got Nate back. She doesn’t appear to want Nate back at all, at present.

I know I’ve said this in the spoiler thread but, during the entire time I was watching Sally’s stillborn baby story, I couldn’t help but think that this is the story that Hilary should’ve had, when you consider the fact that Black women are 3x more likely than White women to suffer eclampsia resulting in mortality-(maternal, infant, both). I guess Lily got a vehicular manslaughter/jail time story from it but Y&R missed a prime opportunity to be ahead of the curve in storytelling and they didn’t take it. Then again, I have been repeatedly reminded that the soaps believe that their viewers don’t want anything to do with reality, just fantasy. 

• Members

Ooooo I love all of that. Things would be bananas right now if the writers had gone that route. 

Ah! That might have been one of the episode I missed before it vanished off my tv system then. I know that I liked where they were going with it by making Elena a little bit darker and she was giving hints of scheming (with Audra as her Iago). So done already. Smh. 

Ooooo I saw. I never knew that and I agree that would have made the storyline better.

• Members

Yeah, that was a very quick sequence of scenes. It was kind of odd because, they had that screening interview via video link between Elena and JT, where JT turned down Elena’s request for the podcast. Then afterwards, I believe that Elena was trying to think of a way to lure JT to Genoa City. That was the last time I heard of it before Elena quit the podcast. I think Brytni Sarpy’s expressions were giving a darker undercurrent so I had hoped that would be explored and even joked about it being her villain/vixen origin story.

• Members

I saw the last ten minutes of today's show. I actually liked the Adam and Frat Boy scenes. Phyliss still in hiding and leaving in a disguise so obvious was downright stupid and ridiculous! Anyone would notice her right away. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds