General Hospital: May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the Invader thing has surprisingly reinvigorated Alexis who I found deeply stale as a character beforehand. It's an actual evolution. Pushing her with the ailing Gregory is not working but it's clear they're not going to invest much else in her atm.

What's still bizarre for me is the insistence on making Scorpio DA, and telling us Robert got his law degree somewhere. It just seems like a very lame device to keep TR rooted on the show and it isn't needed. Just let either him or Anna run the PCPD again and let the other one be a local WSB liaison, the parade of Jordans are terrible.

• Members

It's not just the fact that Alexis and Diane once shared the same profession (and client).  Alexis and Diane are redundant, because they're also the same kind of female -- again, if you ignore how Alexis had devolved into an alcoholic mess, lol.  It's just that Diane is easier to replace.  (See my earlier post about how you move out Diane in scenes with Scorpio and put Kim Delaney in her place.)

And Alexis as Editor-in-Chief at The Invader is a'ight, if a little too OLTL, but I'd much rather see her either back practicing law, or teaching law at Hursley Law School.

Or, have one be the Chief of Police, and the other be Police Commissioner (take your pick).

Edited by Khan

• Members

A little Diane has always gone a long way for me, don't get me wrong lol. I just don't need Alexis moved back into that sphere. I can handle Diane in doses but I also don't want her paired with Scorpio (and we were recently discussing how Tristan Rogers seems less than enthused as well) but their pairing, like Alexis with Gregory, seems dictated entirely by their age range. I was more interested in Scorpio being re-paired with Anna, or his on-off flirtation with the married Olivia which sort of emulates LLC's IRL crush as a fan.

I also think they should give Hailey Pullos more of a chance with this new angle where Molly is the ADA, but that's me. So of course they're instead giving her yet another baby/illness story, because babies still seem to be the only thing ABC will easily greenlight for their focus on their perception of the Facebook-loving senior audience.

• Members

I can't say I blame him.  Carolyn Hennesy is just too severe an actress for this kind of work.  She'd be much better off portraying some over-the-top diva in a Joe Keenan sitcom.

Of course, you could also ditch Diane and Gregory -- one chokes on a tweed outfit, the other leaves to co-star in ABC's "Trapper John, M.D." reboot -- and give Sclexis (?) a try.  Or not.

• Members

I actually didn't hate Alexis/Sonny's hookup.  It may have been out of character for Alexis, but it was good drama.  Everything that happened after was bad, but in the moment I thought it was a decent story. 

My big issue with Diane is her hypocrisy over Sonny's lifestyle when she was fine with dating a mob flunkie for years and happily took Sonny and Jason's money.  It's absolutely lovely to call them out, but not when you are on their payroll for years on end.  If she hates Sonny and the mob so much she could find another job preferably in Siberia. 

Robert being a lawyer and the DA is bizarre.  

• Members

I felt the build-up under JFP and Megan was pretty bad, but in years since I think it's a mistake their relationship was never revisited. It's age-appropriate, for one thing. And Sonny was simply in Alexis' blood for years after despite all her moaning and complaining; like Diane but to a much more intense degree, she could never fully walk away. I assume the abandonment of even the possibility of a revisit is because Guza found it verboten. I have always meant to go back and examine exactly how he handled the dissolution of that relationship, right around the time Carly 'died'. IIRC he was ghostwriting the show almost immediately after Sonny and Alexis slept together, before his name was back on it. It showed (in a good way).

Yeah, I've never understood her turning her nose up. Diane spent years happily representing Sonny's organization. At least now she admits she had 'fun' doing it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The woman cannot do nuance, and she was given so many opportunity recently: the hook, Epiphany’s death. She is a Disney Channel actress, literally. Using her sparingly will go a long way, though i would rather see her recurring pay-check go elsewhere. 

…adding to my list of characters to cull: Maxie and Spinelli. Send then away for a happily ever and rest the Maxie character. I would love Maxie back, but the current characterisation is not it. She is not supposed to be the next Amy Vinning. She is meant to be the next Lucy Coe. 

I hope the current Molly/TJ story lets us start seeing some flaws in good-guy TJ. The easy path would be making him a cheater. I want something more complex - maybe a prescription drug addiction to stay on top of his game as a Doctor? Get him tied up accidentally into the Corinthos drug trade? Let's see TJ a little desperate and living over Kelly's. 

• Members

Michael and Maxie both need to go for a long stretch, but as I've said before I'd still put Spinelli back with Ellie and leave him on recurring. That was actually an example of a character evolving and growing beyond past weaknesses, and Ellie helped him raise his daughter while Maxie remained a total fùck-up and Spinelli left the mob behind.

• Members

This was the only riveting thing to watch in that time period. MB and Tamara Braun were still sorting out their chemistry. Alexis just changed storyline orbits, from the Q’s to the Corinthos. It felt like a shift, but NLG and MB had the chemistry. 

This is a strange memory, but I remember Alexis had a pinstripe suit that tied in the front. They really wanted to make that look happen for her, maybe to introduce some feminity to her very masculine wardrobe. It stood out to me because it wasn’t another basic pant suit. 

• Members

I guess it beats having him and Mac decide to open a new bar and nightclub together.

Or maybe they could have decided to open "Scorpio Brothers Investigations"?  I dunno.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I think the build up for Sonny/Alexis was quick, but it was there.  I did like it was age appropriate and that was the first time we saw Sonny with someone near his age and he did seem to respect her intellect. I think Carly reappearing just made it a one night stand and they both agreed to drop it.  Because Brenda was back not too long after I think it was to tie up that story and solidify Sonny/Carly for that return.   I agree it's a shame it was never re-visited, but obviously Guza hated it and did want Kristina to die.

I always though NLG and MB had chemistry as well.  It felt like a more equal relationship in a lot of ways.

It's fine I guess, but it feels so out of nowhere for Robert.  They should pivot him back to Chief of Police.