General Hospital: April 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

My understanding is that the board is concerned about the bad publicity around Valentine faking his death and how it will affect the stock because shareholders don't like a liar as their CEO (both IRL and in PC).

It also ties in with Nina's plan to expose Carly for insider trading because the board would be even more skittish about an FCC filing.

Putting ELQ and the financial security of the Q family in crisis.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think this was a big part of it. JJY was demoted to recurring in the era when the contract status on a show really mattered. He went with the flow, and got relatively good airtime even in recurring. I mean, the Mac/Felicia/Luke scandal happened while he was on recurring! The return of Cesar Faison! 

Mary Beth Evans did a great interview when she returned to DAYS on recurring. Kayla was not even working at the hospital again, she was pouring coffee at the Brady Pub. She said something along the lines of, "10 years ago I would have never returned on recurring," but when you look at the landscape today the status does not matter. Recurring players still get A-stories. And she was right about that! Wally Kurth, Judi Evans, Bryan Dattilo were all back on recurring, and got more screen time than some of the contract players.

Back to the original post, it took a decade for Shell Kepler to get her due in Port Charles. It took Jesse just as long. Its unfortunate. You have to give FV credit for substantially improving how he treats the vets. Amy, Lee, Gail, end Sean. They all got proper send-offs, even after their portrayers were marginalised and forgotten.

• Members

I didn't know JJY was recurring when the Felicia/Luke stuff happened, but I try not to think about that story much lol.  

For people like MBE, JJY, JE, WK, etc they really don't have a lot of other options.   You might as well recur than not work at all and go with the flow.  They have all aged out of even the Lifetime/Hallmark movie genre.  WK has two recurring gigs and he was practically run off GH back in the day.

I will give Frank credit for giving vets that pass away their due.  It is crazy that no one mentioned Amy for years after Shell passed.   

• Members

Unpopular opinion, but the GH of today is the closest its ever been to feeling like the GH of Claire Labine, from a tone perspective. NOT A WRITING PERSPECTIVE (in that department it is still a far cry).

What I mean by this is that Port Charles feels like a small community again, with not just romantic pairings, but relationships. The fall-out from this latest Cassadine story is the a great example. With Anna shot, the whole town is slowly learning about it and her condition: Jordan, Robert, Felicia. Then, when they realize Spencer and Trina are missing, more characters are folded in: Curtis, Scott, Laura. So many of the characters are feeling the impact, and getting a chance to react. It's not a big group scene where only two character get lines (in the old days Luke and whoever Tony wasn't fighting with that week) get lines. It's not a throwaway line at the end of the story ("I was so worried about you."). We are living and breathing the fall-out from this in real time.

• Members

Wait a second, Robert can't get the WSB to track Victor's boat because it is an "international situation?"  Aren't they the World Security Bureau?  I thought it is an international spy agency with officers worldwide (like Anna in the UK and Robert in Australia). 

This feels like a poorly written plot point in order to justify why middle-aged men like Curtis and Drew need to save Trina and Spencer.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Last year, Tracy returned with news that Luke died in a cable car accident in Austria. Today, it was said that the accident was in Switzerland.  Did they forget that we saw Anna and Felicia in Austria trying to get information about the accident?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Bummer this Ethan’s visit was so short. The actor was very good. He had chemistry with Holly. I wouldn’t mind a return. 

I have to give the costume department credit for Felicia and Tracy’s styling. They dress Felicia like a suburban soccer mom, which is what she is. These slowly peasant tops scream Kohl’s. It’s a stark dichotomy to Tracy’s sleek suiting. Tracy looks like a world heiress. It’s fun to see that not every soap character has to look fancy. 

During the Guza 2000’s, it always seemed like all the women were always in the same suits. Cary, black suit. Alexis, pinstripe suit. Courtney, juniors department blazer.  These character specific costumes are so much more fun. 

• Members

What’s the likelihood that Kristina, the forgotten Corinthos, makes an appearance at her brother’s wedding?

What can they do to make Drew less Ryan Lavery? He isn’t even fun Ryan Lavery from the conman days, he milquetoast Ryan from the post-Cambias days. 

Is Laura Wright still together with the Scott that played Peter?