Y&R January 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lauralee posted the same pic on IG and tagged Patty Weaver there:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHY8eS0HtXl

Looks like Patty hasn't posted on her IG in years.  But from her IG I found her website.
Here is a 2021 archived page from her website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210421080023/http://www.pattyweaverart.com/about-us/

She's an artist now.

• Members

In Tues Jan 3 (US) eppy,  Danny mentions Gina to Cricket!

Danny says that he is still touring around the world, and that Gina sometimes flies out to wherever he is on tour and she gets on stage to do a couple of songs with him. Danny says he spent Thanksgiving with Gina.  (He doesn't say where they spent Thanksgiving.)

Danny: "I do enjoy traveling the world and visiting some of my favorite places, seeing new ones, meeting people.  And Gina flies out on occasions, and, yeah, we get her onstage. She does a couple songs, that's always the best!"

Cricket asked "Gina's doing well?"

Danny replied "Yeah she's great. she's great, yeah. I spent Thanksgiving with her; and Christmas and New Year's with Daniel."

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Sally is one of the most ill-defined uninspired characters to somehow survive long stints on two soaps. It's very weird. Who is Courtney Hope's cheerleader? She's FINE but Sony's investment in her is mind-boggling. I've seen actors with devoted, loud followings with better writing get less chances to succeed.

It's crazy how dry every conversation is on this show. Y&R never had the most realistic dialogue but it felt writerly and purposeful. He sounds like he's reading his own wikipedia page or a yelp review of his own life.

I saw some of the scene yesterday with Tessa, Mariah and Sharon and it was so clunky. Sharon shows up one of the ugly establishments in Genoa City and Mariah says to her "I didn't think you'd want to come out today because--" and Sharon replied "Because this is where Rey and I had out wedding/reception on New Year's Eve" or whatever. It was just so hamfisted to throw that in at the top of the scene. Where is the buildup? The layers to slowly transition us into interpreting Sharon's possible feelings? Why telegraph them? It's such lazy writing. Telling us exactly how characters feel and why. There's no nuisance, no conflict. It's all so "This is why and here is what I feel. Now you speak."

Edited by Darn

• Members

I like Sally and think CH is a solid talent, but she’s becoming another Chelsea. Just throwing whatever story they can at her, and this “Who’s the Daddy?” story is beyond desperate. Her type of character used to be the bread and butter for these shows. A social-climbing go-getter.

Totally agree on the clunky, expository dialogue. I get that soaps often spell things out in a blunt way to catch viewers up, but the clunkiness of dialogue feels part and parcel to the whole current vision for the show. 

• Members

First of all, B&B was stupid to name a random character Sally Spectra.

Was B&B's Sally2 so important or iconic that Y&R felt the need to bring her to Genoa City? Why didn't the actress come as a new character with no B&B baggage? 

Griffith sees her as his new Chelsea. Now he gives her a Newman baby. 

• Members

I was thinking about that the other day: how dumb it was for B&B to name a new character after an iconic figure in the show’s history whose portrayer passed away. Brad is so thoughtless. It would be like Y&R naming some random character “Katherine Chancellor.”

• Members

You just KNOW they're itching to do that. In fact I'd bet good money it happens by the 50th anniversary.

I just know whatever they do to celebrate the milestone will be extremely corny. Because we don't deserve good stories, just weightless throwbacks to better times.

• Toups pinned this topic
  • Members

Lol like on yesterday's show Abby mentioned her divorce being final. Like what. Aren't she and Chance billionaires with significant assets to be split and custody of a child. But it's just done, because they have no court house, no lawyers, no offices, and somehow she got the Chancellor estate, even though his mother owns it, and now she will just move in with Devon and the house won't have to be shown anymore. Chance's anger over her affair could have driven months of story and courthouse drama. Instead he's just like "oh whatever I'll go be homeless and work remotely from the coffehouse."

• Members

It's so sad that CBS #1 soap is treated this way.

Few sets and the ones shown are either dated, or  tiny and cheaply decorated.

No extras or day players, poorly told stories of so called big business, unflattering and cheap looking clothing.

Awful music etc

Even Bill Bell might struggle under those restrictions.