ARTICLE: R.I.P. Sonya Eddy – ‘General Hospital’ Actress Dies at 55

Errol

• Webmaster

Sonya Eddy, Epiphany Johnson, General Hospital, GH, GH ABC, #GH, #GeneralHospital

Joining the cast of “General Hospital” as Epiphany Johnson in 2006, actress Sonya Eddy has died. She was just 55 years old.

According to a heartfelt post on Instagram by Eddy’s friend, Oscar winner Octavia Spencer, Eddy passed away last night, Monday, December 19. No cause of death was announced.

“The world lost another creative angel. Her legions of @generalhospitalabc fans will miss her,” said Spencer. “My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones, friends, and fans!”

News of Eddy’s passing is just beginning to trickle in with several of her colleagues at “General Hospital” displaying their condolences in response to Spencer’s post which you can read in full below.

“I am heartbroken about the loss of the incredible @TheRealSonyaEd,” wroteGH” executive producer Frank Valentini on Twitter. “I truly loved her not only as actress, but as a friend. The lights in the hub of the nurse’s station will now be a little dimmer, but her spirit and light will live on in both the show and our set.” He added, “On behalf of the entire #GH cast and crew, we send our deepest sympathy to her family, friends, and fans. She will be very missed.”

Following her breakout role on “GH,” Eddy became an integral part of the show’s spinoff, “General Hospital: Night Shift,” which ran for two seasons on SOAPnet. Her IMDb lists her with nearly 140 acting credits, including appearances in such shows as “A Black Lady Sketch Show,” “Fresh Off the Boat,” “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” “Tommy” and “The Middle,” among her numerous credits. Early in her career, Eddy played one of the infamous secretaries working for Murphy Brown (Candace Bergen) on “Murphy Brown,” and appeared in episodes of “Seinfeld,” “3rd Rock from the Sun,” “Saved by the Bell: The New Class” and “Diagnosis Murder.”

Note: The post R.I.P. Sonya Eddy – ‘General Hospital’ Actress Dies at 55 appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How awful! I'm so sorry to hear this. My mother passed around her same age, way too soon. That is a beautiful headshot that Octavia Spencer shared. I remember Sonya Eddy calling into one of those Blog Talk Radio soap shows that Na'Vell was hosting and her boisterous laughter almost blowing out my speakers. May she rest in peace.

• Members

Remembering all the work Sonya did to be supportive of nurses in the real world.

This announcement was posted at the end of her obituary at The Hollywood Reporter:
"Donations in her memory can be made to The Foundation of the National Student Nurses’ Association Inc." and they gave this link:
https://www.nsna.org/foundation-of-the-nsna.html

That is the same organization that Sonya was trying to fundraise for in the tweet I posted.

Edited by janea4old