DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No matter how you cut it, it's an absolute disaster. They are going on a streaming service with 6 months of episodes originally produced for broadcast TV. If they think streaming = broadcast TV, they are in for a rude surprise.

At the very least, viewing habits are different. Most won't be watching daily as new episodes come out; they will let episodes pile up and watch them whenever.

Maybe they can use that in their promotion. If it takes older viewers awhile to find Peacock, at least they won't miss anything, since all the episodes are there. Whether they will ever watch them when they find them, that's another story.

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

For all the complaints about the first attempt at streaming the soaps (Erika Slezak still echoes some of those critiques about OLTL 2.0 today in her most recent newsletter, and some of them are valid and understandable re: BTS issues/writing or choices while others are just old-fashioned IMO and I disagree with her), those shows on Hulu at least knew to do something different and change up the tone and rhythm for a different medium, and approached the idea of a seasonal model (albeit only when they realized they were broke!). DAYS has had no chance to do that here on top of (again, unlike the other shows) the lack of adequate promotion or real build-up and rollout. They've been given a stacked deck and told to win the poker tournament or die. And it's all for Peacock IMO, because NBCU is flailing. DAYS is a sacrificial lamb, not because I think they actively want to kill it but because they're trying anything for Peacock and don't care what happens to the show.

• Members

I finally saw something on my NBC affiliate this morning explaining the move and directing viewers to both the Peacock site and a telephone 'help line' if they needed clarity or assistance signing up. So that's something.

Like @Errol said, it does appear that Sept 1 is the start of some kind of push, which is way too late, but at least it's happening. 

And @Vee, I'm with you -- Days is a sacrificial lamb here. I truly don't think they want to cancel it, but NBCU is throwing sh*t at the wall to make Peacock work, and Days is going to wind up collateral damage.

• Members

This move to streaming is a few years premature. DAYS still works, not creatively, but economically on broadcast TV. They should have waited. DAYS could have reached 60 on NBC TV. Now it will be a miracle if it does. They are throwing away the legacy of a 57 year show way too cavalierly.

Edited by Jdee43

• Webmaster

Outside of any thing to do with the writing, directing, etc...the real problem AMC/OLTL 2.0 had was the lack of MONEY. Prospect Park got a $25 million loan from a single financial firm and no one else ponied up the funds. They spent way too much at the outset with no clue how they were going to properly recoup the money they were lent. They didn't realize even $20 million was a conservative number to produce just ONE show for a single year, let alone two...especially when they'd only be available on the internet. And then they hired all those reality stars and social media personalities thinking they'd gain an audience through their followers, plus the plan to license expensive music... MESS!

I do agree that DAYS is being sacrificed for the greater good of the company. Let's just hope that it works, not just for DAYS but for NBCU overall. Otherwise, yikes.