Squish Names: Unpopular Opinion

• Members

To put it bluntly, they're stupid. Not only do they sound incredibly stupid, and they do, but some are just a reach to make happen! It also tends to take away a lot of agency from a character. It's like that's all they're seen for. Nevertheless, I find them grossly unappealing and annoying.

Edited by SteelCity
Spelling

• SteelCity changed the title to Squish Names: Unpopular Opinion
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, I never got onto the Portmanteau (I think that’s what it’s called?) wagon. It seems to minimize the value of each character as an individual and yeah, to me, it sounds kind of childish

Please register in order to view this content

. No offense to people who do use them, I know it can often be shorthand or a term of endearment, of sorts but when you think of these epic, classic films (Casablanca, e.g.), no one is creating these blended names for these characters.

EDT. The original idea for a portmanteau is actually clever when it means something (smoke+fog=smog) but for characters’ names, nah, don’t like it.

• Members

Portmanteau, amalgam! Let's call the whole thing off! You're right though, used in the intended way, it's not offensive. It gets even more annoying when it's used for characters that haven't even interacted enough to warrant a following!

• Members

What was the first soap squishname?

I seem to recall Shane/Kayla-Shayla as one of the first times it was used for a soap couple and that was around 1990.

What were some others from when it became a trend?

Days couples like Bope, Jarlena weren't used in their first go round in the 80's.

• Members

I use squish names as a convenient shorthand when talking about pairings online.

But it just occurred to me that I never use them about characters and couples I really like. Maybe because I feel like the names diminish the couple and characters involved somehow.