Squish Names: Unpopular Opinion

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Me, too. I use some & I do not use others. Never cared for Jarlena so I either use John & Marlena spelled out, imagine that (!) or J&M. I think that the biggest factor in use of portmanteau is that most people like them! When I find myself in a minority position, I try to be easy with myself. No point in being grumpy.

• Members

I was talking about when I feel a certain way about a minority position & I'm grumpy. I'm not judging you one way or the other. I don't even strongly disagree with you. I think that there's too much mash-ups in fandom. So, I don't like a lot of it. You dislike all of it. There's a lot of overlap there.

• Members

I don't hate squish names.  Some are ridiculous and some make no sense (Scrubs for Patrick/Robin on GH?).  Jarlena for J&M is something that has come about more recently.  When I first was on the internet I would always refer to them as J&M, but suddenly Jarlena seems more common.   I don't particularly like it but sometimes I find it easier to type and easier to understand for posts especially if I am discussing multiple couples and multiple initials might be confusing.  There are some couples on soaps that don't have squish names and I would only refer to Sonny and Brenda on GH as S&B because I am not going to give them a dumb squish name like Sorenda.  Or something like Liason for Liz/Jason on GH is stupid as well because it's saving you from typing out 2 letters lol.  I can see why people find them obnoxious, but I can't say it's ever bothered me.  I just think most of the time they aren't that cute or clever.

• Members

That made me think immediately the name for Jason/Liz would be Jiz. Says a lot about them, doesn't it? That's what I mean though, they're not really cute. They just sound funny, and as I said before, you can see some people reaching REALLY hard to come up with them. If you're trying that hard, it's just unnecessary. 

• Members

I have definitely heard Jiz for Jason/Liz said by haters and it does make me giggle.  I also think it would be funny if Belle/EJ on Days were called BJ, but I digress.  Something simple like Carson for Carly/Sonny or L&L2 for Lucky/Liz is fine, but when you are weirdly stretching things like calling Jason/Courtney on GH Journey or the above mentioned Scrubs it's obnoxious.  I also don't like it when older couples get a squish name.  Jarlena doesn't bother me too bad but Bope and Stayla sound so stupid.  Again, it's not something that specifically bugs me or puts me off when someone posts them, but they tend to be unnecessary.  Then again, I do use them so I am just as guilty 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I thought the show made an excellent point about them when they talked over some of what could be Doug & Julie, finally landing that all this time has gone by & they weren't hurt by not having a portmanteau.

People say "Stayla" & I have to think, hard, to figure out who they're talking about.

• Members

I have seen people use Payla for Patch/Kayla too and Shim for Shane/Kim and that squish name is ridiculous.  If I am mentioning Shane and Kim in a post I would spell out their names because otherwise no one would know who the hell I am talking about.  I think it gets much more confusing going back and renaming couples from the past, but with a current couple it's okay.  I did think Cin was kind of cute and clever, but I didn't need the show to tell me that so it became annoying.